IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

On 8/4/2021 at 12:00 PM, ASRMichael said:

Did you see my post a few pages ago about new HDPLEX cooler? Really impressive temps. Obviously using decent paste. I’m using i9 10900k 20 core/threads. 

Is the new cooler come standard on the new HDPlex H5 case or need to order separate?  I could not find information on their website.

Recently switched from an 8i7BEH NUC to MSI PRO Z390-A ATX Motherboard with Intel Core i5-9600K Coffee Lake, trying to sort out a case + ATX power supply.

Went this route because (a) wanted MOBO that could be run headless without on board graphics  card (b) I eventually plan to add a JCAT FEMTO USB card, wasn't practical with NUC

Is the JS-2 LPS I was using now superfluous or is there a sensible way to reuse it powering the system?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

12 hours ago, Dev said:

This lead me to converse with Larry from Hdplex and it seems like he has a design for it but his supplier needs a minimum of 500pcs order. Larry quoted $30 + shipping for 4 appropriately bent heat pipes to fit the H5 case. So this would be mostly plug and play. If there is enough interest here, we can see if we can make this happen. Any thoughts ?

If Larry's design circumvents the expansion cards area then I am interested too, though in current usage I can't say I have a cooling issue.

1 hour ago, elan120 said:

Is the new cooler come standard on the new HDPlex H5 case or need to order separate?  I could not find information on their website.

yes, it’s very new. I am not sure if it comes with the H5 case as standard. Send an email to Larry. I just installed two days back. It’s bigger and slightly taller which clears the VRM heatsink, which otherwise was just touching the heat pipes. However, the temps have remained the same - I think the biggest bottleneck is the side panel heatsink. If they are getting hot with the old (smaller) cooler, it would mean that the old heatsink has been effectively able to drain the heat out of the CPU. In my case since the temps remained the same, the cpu copper heatsink, either new or old, is not the bottleneck. This is why I am trying to see if the left side panel can be used as well.

44 minutes ago, bit01 said:

If Larry's design circumvents the expansion cards area then I am interested too, though in current usage I can't say I have a cooling issue.

I think so but I can double check. I had asked for some pictures of it installed or some drawings. 

20 minutes ago, Raypok said:

This is my first post, but long time reader.

Just want to share my music server using HDplex H5 case with extended heat pipes to the left heat sink. Maybe this can give you ideas how to install additional heat pipes. I bought 50cm 6mm heat pipes from Aliexpress long time ago.

Be careful about clearance of USB & Network Card. I am using JCAT USB XE & Network Card Femto, MB is Gigabyte Aorus Master.

4E7D20A4-7E02-4063-A003-B2627A78C15D.jpeg

Looks very nice. What CPU are you using ? Did the left heatsink help with the temps ?

1 hour ago, Dev said:

yes, it’s very new. I am not sure if it comes with the H5 case as standard. Send an email to Larry. I just installed two days back. It’s bigger and slightly taller which clears the VRM heatsink, which otherwise was just touching the heat pipes. However, the temps have remained the same - I think the biggest bottleneck is the side panel heatsink. If they are getting hot with the old (smaller) cooler, it would mean that the old heatsink has been effectively able to drain the heat out of the CPU. In my case since the temps remained the same, the cpu copper heatsink, either new or old, is not the bottleneck. This is why I am trying to see if the left side panel can be used as well.

I am using i9900KS CPU, a bit older, and lower in TDP, so hopefully it will keep the overall temp lower also...I will check with Larry.

8 hours ago, Nenon said:

A more appropriate way to describe this would be to have a water supply pipe filling up a big water tank. If you need to get a quick burst of high pressure water, you can easily get it from the water tank. You can get much higher pressure output from the water tank compared to the pipe filling up the water tank if you just need it for a short period of time. 

You can think of the 5A choke as the pipe filling up the water tank and the bank of big Mundorf caps as the water tank. 

Our computers don't work as Class A amplifiers that draw all the power they may need all the time. It's the exact opposite of that. They need an instantaneous peak of power for a very short period of time. That's the equivalent of a high pressure water stream out of the water tank for a very short period of time. As long as the tank remains full with water, It's not a problem that the pipe filling up the tank does not have the water pressure needed at the output of the water tank. 

Of course it's more complex than that, but given the water pipe analogy provided, I wanted to make sure people understand it's not literally as constricted as described in the quotes text. 

Thanks for validating my understanding. This is clear as day. It is evident that the choke was not limiting the output to 5A, at least not from what my ears are telling me. Although I accept that it is technically limiting the rate of which the tank can be "refilled". Interesting stuff.

9 hours ago, Raypok said:

This is my first post, but long time reader.

Just want to share my music server using HDplex H5 case with extended heat pipes to the left heat sink. Maybe this can give you ideas how to install additional heat pipes. I bought 50cm 6mm heat pipes from Aliexpress long time ago.

Be careful about clearance of USB & Network Card. I am using JCAT USB XE & Network Card Femto, MB is Gigabyte Aorus Master.

4E7D20A4-7E02-4063-A003-B2627A78C15D.jpeg

Very nice job with bending those pipes. Can you share information about the tools used to bend the pipes so well? I am contemplating doing something similar. Cheers and thanks for sharing.

9 hours ago, Soul Analogue said:

Hi Nenon

so your design is a 200w sourcing power from the capacitor bank (water tank) … and assume the user would not utilitize the full power of CPU or from their system

my design is a 350w supply sourcing power straight from the power source (the transformer)

200w is enough if you consider it is only the cpu(s) that draws power…

but in fact many user, like my friend vhs here, on top of having dual xeon, also use dual optane Pcie, and other add on cards….300w is just barely enough… not to mention we need dynamics swing for music to sound good

my design with high current rating choke does not overshoot and do not need extra capacitance to work with Taiko .. i always keep capacitance to a minimal ;)

i have many years of experience designing power supplies for digital and analog devices… including tube and solid state power amps..

And agree that the chokes plays a major role in sound quality 

i have tried transformers and chokes from all over the world… lundahl, AE, intact audio, Tamura and some from Germany, Israel and Russia…i can show you my stock of them =D

But now i build chokes by myself… thats the only way that fits my needs and requirements with my design

Choke building is an art….a good sounding choke is a lot more than just looking at the inductance, current rating, dc resistance…the core size, material, thickness, wire winding method, mounting and varnish techniques all play significant roles

Honestly i do not think much about Hammond, it is only an industrial manufacturer

yes i also do not encourage someone to try if they do not know what they are doing

Hi, it would make sense for you to send your choke to someone that is willing to try it. Sure plenty people here would take up the offer. 

20 hours ago, davide256 said:

Recently switched from an 8i7BEH NUC to MSI PRO Z390-A ATX Motherboard with Intel Core i5-9600K Coffee Lake, trying to sort out a case + ATX power supply.

Went this route because (a) wanted MOBO that could be run headless without on board graphics  card (b) I eventually plan to add a JCAT FEMTO USB card, wasn't practical with NUC

Is the JS-2 LPS I was using now superfluous or is there a sensible way to reuse it powering the system?

You could perhaps use it to power the JCAT Femto USB card down the line.

2 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Hi, it would make sense for you to send your choke to someone that is willing to try it. Sure plenty people here would take up the offer. 

Yes
send me a message if anyone is interested… i think it is not appropriate to talk about deals in this thread

thanks

Builder of Linear Power Supplies

...if you find you repeatedly kink the pipes when you bend them, you may consider filling them with sand, and packing it tightly in the tube.

Some of this kinking depends upon your wall thickness.

Packing them keeps the walls from kinking as you *slowly* draw them around the mandrel.

You can pull a small piece of rag through or use compressed air to clean any residual grit. 

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

46 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

...if you find you repeatedly kink the pipes when you bend them, you may consider filling them with sand, and packing it tightly in the tube.

Some of this kinking depends upon your wall thickness.

Packing them keeps the walls from kinking as you *slowly* draw them around the mandrel.

You can pull a small piece of rag through or use compressed air to clean any residual grit. 

From what I understand the heat pipes for CPU cooling is airtight and they have sealed both end to protect chemical inside from leaking. This different from heat pipe use for air conditioner that hollow inside. Please correct me if I am wrong.