IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

At least the heat pipes I have are filled with fluid ( I assume water) and are sealed, filling with sand is no option yet the copper is very soft ( and I assume pretty pure  based on that and its color)

Will try bending them around a core for a coil I'm making good to hear how others managed!

I now have 2 300W heatsinks waiting to be mounted , next step will be my PSU...there are some plans for an unregulated Choke filtered design to provide 12V...the tricky bit is going to be keeping the voltage stable under peak load.

From what I hear that first cap before the choke is equally important for sound as the choke, well everything matters as mentioned before by others.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

1 hour ago, Raypok said:

From what I understand the heat pipes for CPU cooling is airtight and they have sealed both end to protect chemical inside from leaking.

Agreed on this. They are filled with a fluid that boils, then moves to the cool side and condenses, this is how heat is transferred. The base of cpu cooler that neon designed is also not solid copper but also filled with fluid, this greatly improves the efficiency of heat transfer and is why it could not be soldered to the cpu cooler portion that fits the cooling pipes.

19 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

I think this answered the question 50 posts ago. 

https://audiobacon.net/2021/08/06/the-worlds-best-audiophile-linear-power-supplies/2/?amp=1

DC4 is technicaly superior – by a large margin. Imaging, depth, soundstage, contouring, detail. The Optimo 3 has more of a “coating” for easy listening.

He seems to prefer Fidelizer Nikola2 I've never heard about it .

"From what I hear that first cap before the choke is equally important for sound as the choke, well everything matters as mentioned before by others."

Even better is putting the choke first after the rectifier. I use choke input supplies everywhere, much smoother power delivery than cap input. Try it some time.

Here's why choke input supplies sound better. Look at the current from the rectifier in a choke input supply (left) versus cap input (right) and remember, sharp changes in current produce high frequency noise. Choke input supplies also have better voltage regulation than cap input. The drawbacks of course are size, weight and cost, but we're after the "best" sound, right?1233764770_ChokevsCapInputSupply.png.63995eddf08002cee4f664a51ef37da9.png

Without any intention to conflict your statements, it would be good to know that the choke input solution for designing power supplies is the most simple path you can follow on order to absolutely ruin the sound of your active stage. It may take you one minute, hour, day, year or whatever in order to realize that choke input design is your warranty to sound devastation. 

Design & Manufacture of High Fidelity Audio Equipment
6 minutes ago, Peter Avgeris said:

Without any intention to conflict your statements, it would be good to know that the choke input solution for designing power supplies is the most simple path you can follow on order to absolutely ruin the sound of your active stage. It may take you one minute, hour, day, year or whatever in order to realize that choke input design is your warranty to sound devastation. 

Is there a problem with your website?  The link in your signature doesn't work for me.

26 minutes ago, Mags said:

Thanks, Peter. I invite you to come listen to the devastation I have wrought in my system if you're ever in New Jersey. Such devastatingly beautiful sound.

My amps are also all choke input, two stage, direct-coupled, SET. 2.3kV on the big output tube plate. Have a look:

20210409_160648.jpg

20210315_173006.jpg

Happy to find an Audiophile in the tri-state area! Nice setup 😎

4 minutes ago, Exocer said:

Happy to find an Audiophile in the tri-state area! Nice setup 😎

Thanks! I'm usually on DIYAudio in the TubeDIY forum but I'm interested in upgrading my source to a SOTA music server, so I'm here browsing and learning. 

I'm in Central NJ in the Somerville/Bridgewater area.

9 minutes ago, Mags said:

Thanks! I'm usually on DIYAudio in the TubeDIY forum but I'm interested in upgrading my source to a SOTA music server, so I'm here browsing and learning. 

I'm in Central NJ in the Somerville/Bridgewater area.

Youre certainly in the right place! It truly is astonishing how much improvement can be obtained by upgrading one's source. I'm Manhattan based.

Cheers,

-Rob

13 hours ago, Mags said:

Thanks, Peter. I invite you to come listen to the devastation I have wrought in my system if you're ever in New Jersey. Such devastatingly beautiful sound.

My amps are also all choke input, two stage, direct-coupled, SET. 2.3kV on the big output tube plate. Have a look:

20210409_160648.jpg

20210315_173006.jpg

Looks like tube DIY on the highest level, impressive :)

The power tubes are beasts😮 , what tubes are those, and what output transformes do you use, are they custom-wound? 

BTW I agree 100% that choke input is generally better, because of the reasons you posted. Me too have used chokes this way in almost all my designs and builds for the last 20-25 years or so.    

This is all beautiful tube amplifier stuff but does any of you DIY amplifier builders have a good stating point idea for a choke first supply for the Taiko?

Choke values, choke manufacturers, capacitance etc. 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

15 minutes ago, Mags said:

Certainly. Download a program called PSUDII (Power Supply Unit Designer II) from Duncan Amps. It is a simple to use simulator (much simpler than Spice, for example) that is invaluable in designing power supplies. You can swap in different values of caps, chokes, resistors, rectifiers, current draw, etc. and see which give you the best response to current steps without ringing or sagging.

I wouldn't design a supply without it.

http://www.duncanamps.com/psud2/

i already had that s.w. but kept getting some sort of error so I left it.

I’ll give it another go, thanks.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

1 hour ago, RickyV said:

This is all beautiful tube amplifier stuff but does any of you DIY amplifier builders have a good stating point idea for a choke first supply for the Taiko?

Choke values, choke manufacturers, capacitance etc. 

I second Mags recommendation for using PSUD2. One important consideration when designing choke input supplies is that a low current condition gives much higher voltage out, than a high current condition.  So for dynamic loads like computer components you need to make sure that your capacitor(s) and regulator(s) etc. can handle the voltage in the whole voltage range.  

You might want to take a look at Hammonds sortiment of high current chokes. I bought the 196M4 and used with both coils in parallel (8A) for my CPU (3700x) power supply. 

https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/transformers/choke/195-196

For starting example values for L and C, I attach simulation schematic for my CPU supply (before the regulator) 

In this simulation I put a current step from 1A to 8A at time 0.4s in PSUD2. Very useful as you can get some info on the dynamic behaviour. I attach the simulation graphs on the output voltage and the current out from the diode bridge.  PSU_CPU_CIR.JPG.9cff9d7bfd405273e0af8bd798ed5159.JPGsim_PSU_CPU_STEPRESP.thumb.JPG.fdfc95e2a63421873642f63f41caa770.JPGsim_PSU_CPU_STEPRESP_BRIDGECURRENT.thumb.JPG.e95447d5681602b5700f9f30d8f0a2ee.JPG