IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

6 minutes ago, realDHT said:

The PSU box for my music server (although the CPU choke isn't really visible in this image (it's hidden below the softstart board in back righthand side) psu_server.thumb.jpg.532bc3f12ae4f771fac1989381824294.jpg

Very clean work. Are you comfortable sharing information about the specs and topology?

Cheers,

-Rob

Hello Guys,

I updated the BIOS of my ROG_MAXIMUS_XIII_HERO_Z590, it was purchased in April 2021 and have been using the Bios that came with it in that time, until this month that I updated the Bios to Version 0902 but sound became harder, has anyone experienced this ?

Is there a way to return to previous BIOS Version ?, I have Bios Rollback enabled but don't know where to "roll it back"

Thanks !

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

is it not just a matter of flashing the previous version again?

Did you check your bios settings? usually a new bios means starting from scratch with all the tweaking of settings for SQ.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

1 minute ago, MarcelNL said:

is it not just a matter of flashing the previous version again?

Did you check your bios settings? usually a new bios means starting from scratch with all the tweaking of settings for SQ.

Yep, I re-tweaked all the config to be as equal as posible as my last version, which it was  to the same but i could at least check on the similar.

I was trying to avoid the "download the file to USB" path and I thought it was as plain as pushing the Flash back button 

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

27 minutes ago, mikicasellas said:

Hello Guys,

I updated the BIOS of my ROG_MAXIMUS_XIII_HERO_Z590, it was purchased in April 2021 and have been using the Bios that came with it in that time, until this month that I updated the Bios to Version 0902 but sound became harder, has anyone experienced this ?

Is there a way to return to previous BIOS Version ?, I have Bios Rollback enabled but don't know where to "roll it back"

Thanks !

Just go to website & download old version & put on usb drive. Then go to bios & load from usb. 

1 minute ago, ASRMichael said:

Just go to website & download old version & put on usb drive. Then go to bios & load from usb. 

Yes, that was the only way !

Thanks !

14 minutes ago, mikicasellas said:

Yep, I re-tweaked all the config to be as equal as posible as my last version, which it was  to the same but i could at least check on the similar.

I was trying to avoid the "download the file to USB" path and I thought it was as plain as pushing the Flash back button 

How long has your system been online since updating the bios and reverting to your previous settings?

1 minute ago, Exocer said:

How long has your system been online since updating the bios and reverting to your previous settings?

In August the 5th I updated, sound immediately became harder, but i have been turning server off every night and ON first time in the morning every day, cause temperatures being higher than I want when air conditioning is off during the whole night...It is now re-updating to previous with the USB method

Now THAT are chokes. Hum can often be cured by ; seriously overdesigning a choke, getting rid of input DC, clamping the core, vacuum coating with lacquer/resin (that last one is quite a chore)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

6 hours ago, Soul Analogue said:

I am also into Choke input PSU..

But for a CAS PSU, the choke for choke input requires really BIG investments....both cost, weight and space...

I have got big name chokes from USA and from Israel... they are big and bulky...especially for the Israel double C...

2036315982_WhatsAppImage2021-08-16at10_50_39AM.thumb.jpeg.0f8ff8c34d4942c12e8bdf4344a4963e.jpeg

1945190953_WhatsAppImage2021-08-16at10_50.39AM(1).thumb.jpeg.54124e77c39a6a90e187bea955bdb47c.jpeg

at 8a specifications clearly stated with choke input application...

However they still fail to operate quietly for the PSU for my CPU

So I now I need to assemble chokes by myself up to my own requirements...

441775295_WhatsAppImage2021-08-16at11_11_15AM.thumb.jpeg.89b43c8909eb5e97bec793b13f157de5.jpeg

1638662374_WhatsAppImage2021-08-16at11_06_54AM.thumb.jpeg.a1f778800ad4850a3b83f6d8ebd905a3.jpeg

In summary...the bigger choke = bigger and better sound 😁

One question...is the Hammond 20A for choke input silent at 10A load?

Yes, the 20A Hammond is silent at 10A. I still usually mount chokes with a little vibration-absorbing rubber under the mounts, just in case.

20 minutes ago, Mags said:

Yes, the 20A Hammond is silent at 10A. I still usually mount chokes with a little vibration-absorbing rubber under the mounts, just in case.

I see .. good to know

But you are only dealing with low voltage… for 10v 10a… i think 16vac secondary from transformer would be sufficient..

For taiko atx module, we need to deal with around 38vac for choke input… the ac ripple after rectifier is some order of magnitudes higher… i expect a choke of much much bigger size is needed for silent operation..

vibration damping rubber does virtually nothing if the choke rattles….

Builder of Linear Power Supplies

Thanks for the invitation.

I wrote you, it may take between a moment and a lifetime to realize how bad is choke input for sound quality. I do not want to conflict with you.

The differences I am talking about are relative. Switching between L input and C input, all else being same and equal, leads to straightforward results. I do not want to pressurize you, you do not need to do so.

With kind regards

Peter Avgeris

PS: the web site is under construction, as photoshooting has not been completed yet.

Design & Manufacture of High Fidelity Audio Equipment
2 hours ago, Soul Analogue said:

I see .. good to know

But you are only dealing with low voltage… for 10v 10a… i think 16vac secondary from transformer would be sufficient..

For taiko atx module, we need to deal with around 38vac for choke input… the ac ripple after rectifier is some order of magnitudes higher… i expect a choke of much much bigger size is needed for silent operation..

vibration damping rubber does virtually nothing if the choke rattles….

Actually, the output tube anode supply is choke input at ~2500V, and the driver tube anode supply is choke input at ~450V. Of course tubes run at lower current. You just need good chokes. In my case the output supply uses a potted Monolith magnetics choke and the driver supply uses a Lundahl C-core. 

9 minutes ago, Mags said:

Actually, the output tube anode supply is choke input at ~2500V, and the driver tube anode supply is choke input at ~450V. Of course tubes run at lower current. You just need good chokes. In my case the output supply uses a potted Monolith magnetics choke and the driver supply uses a Lundahl C-core. 

Ok this is a thread for CAS 

and you were talking about 20a hammond choke runs at 10a.. so i was referring to that

Builder of Linear Power Supplies

1 hour ago, Soul Analogue said:

It is not easy for someone to “switch” between L input and C input…. If simply put in and take out the C from psu.. the resultant voltage will be largely different..

and even given the same resultant voltage… the design and construction of the choke for L input choke and C input are very different….so there is no easy switch… or the test result will be less than optimal in either cases

i believe it is a matter of taste for choke input and cap input psu…(talking about properly designed and executed) 

the presentations are quite different

In my diy venture… i first started with cap input… and later tried on choke input and could never go back….so L input for me as far as practicable

Thanks for sharing. It would be great to hear about the differences you've perceived, going from C input to L input LPS's in your experience.

3 hours ago, Exocer said:

I am hoping to conduct a small non-scientific shootout of 3 USB cards. Hoping to conduct this test in the next week or so. Looking forward to sharing my impressions.

Looking forward to seeing how that Core Audio stacks up.  Will you be posting your results in the "Best Audiophile USB Card" thread?