IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

Just now, Dev said:

yes, that is why a 10A choke might help in this situation.

And/or a higher voltage transformer. But yes, I agree your case is different. 

There is an easy test everyone can do. Here is a cheap $20 Wattmeter from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VPTN8FZ/. Measure what your computer draws from the wall with an efficient PC PSU.  You will get an idea how much power it needs during boot, when playing music, and when idle. 

In my case, I had close to 200W peak at boot, 95W when playing music, and 65W when idle. 

If I was close to 150W while playing music for example, I would not consider having enough headroom with 200W. But at 95W, I have no concerns. This is with two 80W THP Xeon CPUs. I would expect that most CPUs up to 95W TDP would be okay with 200W PSU. 

But 120W+ CPUs with active cooling and heavy upsampling will obviously require more current. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

8 minutes ago, Nenon said:

And/or a higher voltage transformer. But yes, I agree your case is different. 

I think one also need to strike a balance between heat dissipation and voltage. A higher voltage means higher heat because none of the components work at that high voltage. If you have a stable current source, the preference is to use a lower voltage which will run cooler. Most designs don't and hence they are compensated with higher voltage and larger heat sink. Again, I am not talking about Taiko DC-ATX but in general.

12 minutes ago, Nenon said:

There is an easy test everyone can do. Here is a cheap $20 Wattmeter from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VPTN8FZ/.

I have been using P3 Kill-A-Watt for years now.

13 minutes ago, Exocer said:

Today I measured power consumption of my server during boot. I witnessed a very quick peak around 135Watts but it consistently hovered around 53watts during boot, dipping into the high 40s at times, eventually settling down to 37W.

I didnt catch the peak with my camera but perhaps I'll record a video and snap a picture from there.

Edit: here is peek power consumption during boot:

1420042570_Screenshot_20210818-1322372.thumb.png.1bf0123b56fa1762aaa55f7b6fda8c84.png

During music playback AND idle, this is what I hover around, 37.5W:

PXL_20210818_165723904_MP.thumb.jpg.20a4e2cf33a6a762f2b99001a6f5555a.jpg

I9-9900k OCed to 4.6ghz.

With an i9 9900K overclocked to 4.6GHz, do you still run into issues with some HQP filters and modulators? 

Just now, Mags said:

With an i9 9900K overclocked to 4.6GHz, do you still run into issues with some HQP filters and modulators? 

Good question.

I should have mentioned I do not upsample. I mostly use Euphony Stylus to stream at default sample rates or for PGGB file playback. I occasionally use HQPlayer but mostly to check whether it sounds better than Euphony stylus (at default sample rates).

7 minutes ago, Exocer said:

Good question.

I should have mentioned I do not upsample. I mostly use Euphony Stylus to stream at default sample rates or for PGGB file playback. I occasionally use HQPlayer but mostly to check whether it sounds better than Euphony stylus (at default sample rates).

OK, thanks.

17 hours ago, AngeloVRA said:

When it finally becomes available, it might be a good step up for me to change to the HDPlex H5 case so I can plug in the cards directly to the motherboard.

Like others, thanks for the meticulous documentary of your build (I always admire anyone who can keep the thermal goo neat on the side of a Streacom ;).  Keep in mind Anwar's thread that Streacom is finally going to make an FC10 rear plate for the desired brackets by year's end.

For the people have done building Unregulated power supply for the Taiko DC-ATX, what transformer secondary voltage output you are using for your build?  I recall somewhere Nenon mentioned higher voltage will provide better sounding, but can't recall what the optimum output should be, and I am thinking to order a transformer that will provide close to 40V of output.

1 minute ago, elan120 said:

For the people have done building Unregulated power supply for the Taiko DC-ATX, what transformer secondary voltage output you are using for your build?  I recall somewhere Nenon mentioned higher voltage will provide better sounding, but can't recall what the optimum output should be, and I am thinking to order a transformer that will provide close to 40V of output.

@Exocer? I believe it’s 36v is optimal but Rob can confirm. 

1 hour ago, elan120 said:

1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

@Exocer? I believe it’s 36v is optimal but Rob can confirm. 

Transformer secondary we used is 24VAC. After rectifier it gives around 36.5-37VDC

30 minutes ago, Exocer said:

Awesome.

Are you coming from a multi-rail regulated LPS?

Are you talking about the power supplies used for the endpoint?  If yes, then no, I don't have anything at the moment, everything still in planning / research stage, but I do want to get the unregulated power supply project moving, and try to get some of the long lead time parts ordered.