IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

2 minutes ago, Nenon said:

I do.

When I visited Taiko last month they were expecting a delivery of a new state of the art CNC machine (guessing the stuff companies like MSB uses). If I was to guess the DIY chassis will be one of the first projects they will do on the new machine once it is set up. It makes sense - they can play with their new toy on our chassis as we don't even know exactly how it will look like 😂.

Thanks last question (for now) when you plan to do that write-up on windows Configuration for dual cpu? Sorry If I asked this before…

24 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Noratel were supposed to be shipped over sea (takes about 6 weeks) last week. I could not wait any longer and ordered some transformers from Toroidy, and they are stuck in Fedex Germany for nearly two weeks :(. Not the best times for impatient audiophiles like us.

Is the Toroidy that you ordered expected to be sonically the equivalent of the Noratel?  If so, would you please provide the Toroidy ordering information?  (I have never ordered from them before.)

Thanks

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

1 hour ago, Soul Analogue said:

Nenon… we were talking about Choke input psu yesterday… it is a total different story from capacitor input psu

Not to be argumentative but I was confused by some of your feedback. You mentioned choke size being too small around the time several of us posted pics of our CLC Unregulated LPS's. Glad this is cleared up and that perhaps the topology of those pics you saw was misunderstood at the time of your feedback. 

@Nenon - I did not realize the Noratels shipped. FOMO is settling in....Is it worthwhile to "upgrade" to it if you already have the Toroidy Supreme v2? What does the 5% improvement afford you?

Cheers,

-Rob

For your peace of mind..

Here is a screenshot of simulation by psudesiger ii of my cap input psu design for taiko module with high amp choke. the curve is the voltage at stepped constant load at t1 2a, t2 10a at 2s (therefore the drop shown).. 

3A956121-4584-4F7A-A2A1-42DBFC7D2F98.thumb.jpeg.ab38bc568d995bffbaf309a2ddd46c38.jpeg

It does not overshoot or ring, or voltage above 40v at any instance that could possibly kill a taiko module

no excessive capacitance is used

Builder of Linear Power Supplies

31 minutes ago, Exocer said:

Not to be argumentative but I was confused by some of your feedback. You mentioned choke size being too small around the time several of us posted pics of our CLC Unregulated LPS's. Glad this is cleared up and that perhaps the topology of those pics you saw was misunderstood at the time of your feedback. 

Cheers,

-Rob

There was no misunderstanding .. i was truely referring to the small size of hammond choke of cap input supply …  

until yesterday that Mag talked about choke input supply here so i chimed in…

you have to understand what psu topology is being used and what Is being discussed here in order not to be confused =)

but in either psu topologies, i dont see, measure or simulate, any overshoot, ringing issue by using high current choke…

15 minutes ago, Soul Analogue said:

you have to understand what psu topology is being used and what Is being discussed here in order not to be confused =)

😁 I understood what topology was being used... I was certainly not confused about that aspect. More confused about your suggestion of changing one component in a circuit with an entirely different design than your own. Hence why I waited for Nenon's follow up before purchasing a larger choke, and purchasing the same 5A choke again to expand to V3. No hard feelings though...

19 minutes ago, Soul Analogue said:

but in either psu topologies, i dont see, measure or simulate, any overshoot, ringing issue by using high current choke…

Interesting. Maybe an opportunity for us all to learn from each other 😎. That's what this place is about.

Cheers,

-Rob

1 hour ago, Soul Analogue said:

My suggestion of a change of higher amp choke is still valid for Nenon’s cap input supply…

my cap input design is still transformer > rectifier > c1 > choke > c2

Very similar right? Just plain more simple i would say..

i have built over a hundred of this CLC topology psu for audio purpose for myself and my friends and i never encountered the issues mentioned by Nenon.. 

If these high current vs low current choke discussions has to be continued….perhaps Nenon shall share his findings of overshoot, ringing, burn out taiko issue more clearly.. 

what transformer secondary voltage was used? Which rectifier bridge? which high current choke(s) was tried? What were the symptoms of overshoot, ringing? How they were measured? Or even showing simulation screenshots would be helpful for troubleshooting

All really good questions! 

57 minutes ago, Nenon said:

V2 is: transformer --> rectifier --> 22,000 uF --> Hammond 159ZJ --> 66,000 uF.

The Hammond 195K12 choke was recommended as a replacement at some point. 

transformer --> rectifier --> 22,000 uF --> Hammond 195K12 --> 66,000 uF will require more than 66,000 uF capacitance to damp overshooting. 

How did you realize the voltage overshooting caused by swapping in a high current choke? 

Measure? Modelling?

more details would be helpful

I do not use as much capacitance but i could not measure (by Fluke RMS DMM and Rigol Scope) and model (PSUDII) any overshooting of voltage during power up, idle and under load

I managed to destroy one of the rails of the Taiko ATX within an hour of receiving it. That was the first prototype of the Taiko ATX. My 5 AWG power cord created a spark while plugging it. I did not use a softstart at the time, which was a mistake. The mosfet on the Taiko ATX at the time was a 60V one and it would instantly fry if it gets anything over 60V even for a fraction of second. It's true - I was a witness of that :). Taiko added protection on the production releases, so that was a good lesson learned. Also, using a softstart here is a must!

So there were a number of other possibilities that caused the burn out of Taiko

As far as details on killing the Taiko ATX with a low DCR choke and not enough capacitance - those were Emile's words - and I am guessing the problem is overshooting. I am super careful not to kill my Taiko ATX again, as these things are not exactly cheap. 

Could you quote the whole paragraph of Emile's words?

@Soul Analogue this is not a competition. We are all here with one goal only - to achieve the best music reproduction. 

Feel free to post a different design people can try. That's what this forum is about. It will be helpful to list all the parts. 

If you are willing to build your custom design, by all means post about that too. The more options we have, the better. 

I am not here for a competition at all.... I, last week, just made a kind suggestion of using high current choke instead of a small one on your cap input topology, based on my own experience.

I have no major comment (except the choke) on your C values, which is pretty standard ... so I do not have an urge to post something different 

I chime in again today because you quoted my post (about Mag's choke input PSU idea) and then you talked about my comment on your cap input supply...

So I was impelled to response, clarifying my post (yesterday) being about a different PSU topologies.

Moving onto the chassis. I have measured all of the parts for V3 using all 22,000uf Mundorf HC caps and it is a snug fit in this enclosure:

https://modushop.biz/site/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=128

This enclosure is similar in size to the HDPlex H5 V2 many of us are using.

Going to order it and test it in the coming week. Worst case scenario I will be forced to swap out two Mundorf 22,000uF caps for a single 47,000uF cap to save space.

Cheers

35 minutes ago, Soul Analogue said:

How did you realize the voltage overshooting caused by swapping in a high current choke? 

Measure? Modelling?

more details would be helpful

I do not use as much capacitance but i could not measure (by Fluke RMS DMM and Rigol Scope) and model (PSUDII) any overshooting of voltage during power up, idle and under load

So there were a number of other possibilities that caused the burn out of Taiko

Could you quote the whole paragraph of Emile's words?

I am not here for a competition at all.... I, last week, just made a kind suggestion of using high current choke instead of a small one on your cap input topology, based on my own experience.

I chime in again today because you quoted my post (about Mag's choke input PSU idea) and then you talked about my comment on your cap input supply...

So I was impelled to response, clarifying my post (yesterday) being about a different PSU topologies.

Moved the conversation to PM. We'll share if any good stuff comes out of our discussion. 

For those building the v2 or v3 of the unregulated LPS - please don't change the choke unless you know exactly what you are doing 😂

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

One thing I can say is that I could not power my i9-10900k using a Hammond 5A choke in CLC configuration using two Mundrof 22,000uF, unless I ran the CPU at base clock and turned off hyperthreading, cutting down the power requirement significantly. Unlike the core i series which are designed for extreme ups and downs to find a balance between high performance, power requirement and heat, the Xeons are designed for server applications which typically consumes a constant power irrespective of load (think in terms of Class A amp). I don't have a dual Xeon system, so can't tell but its power requirements might be less stringent and very different from i9-10900k. I would think the choke/cap values would much depend on the boot power requirement of the system - if it can safety cross the check mark, runtime power is usually less for simple bit-perfect playback but if you up-sample using Hqp, that's entirely a different ballgame.

6 hours ago, Nenon said:

I do.

When I visited Taiko last month they were expecting a delivery of a new state of the art CNC machine (guessing the stuff companies like MSB use). If I was to guess the DIY chassis will be one of the first projects they will do on the new machine once it is set up. It makes sense - they can play with their new toy on our chassis as we don't even know exactly how it will look like 😂.

Wow, that's going to be a big project for them.  For the last ten years I worked at a company that made aircraft parts with CNC machines, and we had a staff of people to program them, and another staff to plan the parts for programming (coding dimensions and tolerances off of the drawings).

20 minutes ago, Dev said:

One thing I can say is that I could not power my i9-10900k using a Hammond 5A choke in CLC configuration using two Mundrof 22,000uF, unless I ran the CPU at base clock and turned off hyperthreading, cutting down the power requirement significantly. Unlike the core i series which are designed for extreme ups and downs to find a balance between high performance, power requirement and heat, the Xeons are designed for server applications which typically consumes a constant power irrespective of load (think in terms of Class A amp). I don't have a dual Xeon system, so can't tell but its power requirements might be less stringent and very different from i9-10900k. I would think the choke/cap values would much depend on the boot power requirement of the system - if it can safety cross the check mark, runtime power is usually less for simple bit-perfect playback but if you up-sample using Hqp, that's entirely a different ballgame.

What voltage? 

Did you do just 22,000 uF --> choke --> 22,000 uF ? I would not use anything less than 66,000 uF (after the choke) with this choke. 

You get about 200W at 40V. But as a general guideline:

10 hours ago, Nenon said:

Unless you do heavy DSD upsampling with 120W TDP CPUs, chances are this choke will work great. As a general rule, if you can passively cool down your CPU with a HDPlex/Streacom chassis, you probably won't have any issues with this choke/design.

The i9-10900k is 125W TDP ? 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

8 minutes ago, Nenon said:

What voltage? 

Did you do just 22,000 uF --> choke --> 22,000 uF ? I would not use anything less than 66,000 uF with this choke. 

28v. yes, the config is correct. I already had two 22,000 uF from the SJ high current rail and that is what I was re-using to test it out. I still have to do a proper high quality unregulated lps.

8 minutes ago, Nenon said:

You get about 200W at 40V. But as a general guideline:

The i9-10900k is 125W TDP ? 

yes but boot can consume over 200watts.