IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

6 minutes ago, Soul Analogue said:

I saw Tatomek7 quote on Nenon's post dated 16 May 

"The second version (aka v2) consists of: IEC inlet --> Fuse --> Soft start --> Transformer --> Mosfet rectifier --> Hammond choke --> 3 x Mundorf HC 22,000 uF (each bypassed with VCAP ODAM 0.1 uF film cap) --> Output connector. This is an improvement over v1 in my opinion."

this is a choke input (LC) filter 

and this thread developed with Hammond Chokes to be used in this kind of topology

Thats why I was asking if had tried that

Ok, you have a point. I have been thinking CLC filter in my head all along and that is how I am planning to implement it with the Taiko DC-atx. I will let Nenon clarify. But even with CLC filter, the question still remains weather a 10mH/5A choke be sufficient ?

On 5/22/2021 at 12:43 AM, Nenon said:

A 10A choke would require a lot more capacitance not to overshoot. We need to be careful not to kill the Taiko ATX. I already killed one and have been super careful since that. I know Emile added protection after my incident, so maybe you won't kill the production units, but you would not have a reliable PSU unless you add that extra capacitance with a 10A choke. 

LL2773/5A may be a better choke option than the Hammond.  Much larger and much more inductance and depending on how you choose to wire the windings can be set at about 5A/65mH series or 10A/16mH parallel.  I'm not convinced that 5A is enough current...5A x 30V?? = 150watts before saturation for the Hammond.  At least the Lundahl would not saturate until at least 8A which would probably handle the poweron and off requirements.

On 5/23/2021 at 10:52 PM, atxkyle said:

I bought a 1TB Samsung 980 Pro SSD (m.2 pcie) and adding it to my server did bad, filthy, naughty things to SQ. Especially when I had it internally, but even when attached externally via USB adapter. So bad it makes me very curious about how the Extreme and other servers have managed to neutralize the impact. 

How were you powering the external SSD?

3 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

How were you powering the external SSD?

The entire NUC (including the SSD) is powered with a SR7T 19V.

When using it externally, it was just powered by the USB bus. I don't have an adapter that allows for external power right now, but woudl be open to this approach.  

57 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

There was a time when some people were using external disk enclosures powered by a separate LPSU.  IIRC, the external enclosure was connected by USB.  Perhaps the second LPSU powering the external disk is key here.

Hadn't considered that, but I bet it makes a big difference. Does anyone know if most of the top-shelf servers are providing dedicated LPS rails for internal storage?

6 minutes ago, atxkyle said:

Hadn't considered that, but I bet it makes a big difference. Does anyone know if most of the top-shelf servers are providing dedicated LPS rails for internal storage?

they do, using a separate SSD power supply did miracles for SQ in my NUC. In my current build the same applied to going from a so so external PSU to a proper LPS for the SSD, major improvement!

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

what is that gunk that is applied? (the computer I'm using right now has no sound)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

28 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

what is that gunk that is applied? (the computer I'm using right now has no sound)

From google:

Flux is a chemical cleaning agent used before and during the soldering process of electronic components onto circuit boards. ... The flux also protects the metal surfaces from re-oxidation during soldering and helps the soldering process by altering the surface tension of the molten solder.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

thought it was flux, but was unable to listen to any explanation there might be

On 5/2/2021 at 5:43 AM, auricgoldfinger said:

It seems to me this thread went completely off the rails about 3 pages ago.  I suggest deleting them would keep the thread properly focused.  This discussion rapidly devolved into the usual objective/subjective arguments.

Maybe the reason was because my data was transferred over WiFi which altered how it sounds and added a bit of a harsh sub tone. B|

48 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Hopefully cables arrive this week and I’ll give early impressions.

I’ve decided not to spend anymore on network. I’m only using local files at present. No streaming services.

I had Edge X & OM before my EtherRegen. All powered by DC3 rails. I after 12 months in place I removed the Edge X and OM because it sounded better without them. This might be because my DC3 was powering 2 less devices, who knows! Also Euphony now has a feature to disconnect network. 

IMHO £1700 for a clock is a lot of money, could this amount of money be spent better elsewhere? 

In my case the music data goes this way 

local hdd (usb ) > x10sdv-f server > etherregen > ered dock player . 
I also play only local file and do not stream . The master clock is a huge progress because it delivers a very very noise free music data to the ereddock player .

In your case you go from 

Nas > etherregen > I9 server & player . 
The master clock may be not an as significant experiment as what I did . Anyhow if you have the opprtunity I recommend you to test it. 

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

@Nenon whilst things are quite here at present, you posted previously you were going to post how to setup windows affinity etc on dual CPU’s. Using Asus sage board. 

I maybe see myself on a journey towards the dual cpu. Especially since I have the Taiko ATX card. 

I think users who plan to buy Taiko ATX, Unregulated PSU, Taiko case may be thinking about how to setup windows affinities etc. You posting how to do it may gather a lot more interest to go down that route. 

If you could do you write up that would be great. 

Cheers