IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

54 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

great, if they only would make it in copper....then it could be a truly premium cooler...the Nofan passive coolers suddenly disappeared leaving very little (or none) passive options. The chines manufacturer let me know they don's have passive solutions for AM4. 

I still think it'll come down to making my own from some copper busbar, and copper rods and a file or two.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

1 hour ago, prinz said:

I made some comparisons between CLC and CLCLC filtering using PSU Designer and have to confirm that CLCLC provides much better voltage ripple smoothing and filtering.

Better in terms of numbers of course.

1,68mV   on the output of CLC filter and 70nV after CLCLC filter.  Not sure how it influence the sound, but math wise - CLCLC is 24x times less ripple. Hmmm....

result.png

Wondering what happens with the numbers if you remove the first C, so LCLC?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Got this from diy audio site.

L-C filter
======
"The choke input filter allows a continuous current from the rectifier diodes, rather than the pulsating current demand by the capacitor input filter, and because of the, it has better voltage regulation. Maximum current is available to the load with this type of operatoin, so this filter is more suited to higher load-current demand. 

On the debit side, the output voltage of the filter is equal to the average of the AC voltage delivered to the rectifier, rather than the peak value. It is also very costly, because a physically large, low resitsance inductance is required."

C-L-C filter
========
"The pi filter is more efficient.....is used on medium-current equipment, it does produce a higher output voltage then the L-C filter, but the regulation is not as good."

C-R filter
======
"this type of filter is less expensive. The filtering action is not as good, and here is some loss of DC voltage at the output because of the voltage drop across ther resistor. It is limited to low-current equipment..."

Thread: CRCRC vs. LCLCLC which is better and why?

Under development:

The Ls increase the output impedance I imagine, an effect which @Nenon felt was detrimental to the TAIKO converter performance? The other advantage of the  L-C (choke input) is a reduction of inrush current.

I saw (Apr 1987 AUDIO AMATUER) a rare topology with the L on the AC side of the rectifier. I wonder if  @prinz could model this one. It should reduce the peak rectifier current, the inrush current. The core of L would be AC powered - saturation less of an issue. Unfortunately the output voltage will be less.

In the end though best SQ  for the PS is the goal here.

ATB.

b

how about this monster at 72lbs ? 🤪

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/195R20?qs=7rwefYdqV%2FZHBBiCJpS93w%3D%3D

On a serious note, I am not sure why Nenon picked a 5A choke here. I tried that choke a while back with a 21v/10A rail and it didn't work but I am running a i9-10900k while Nenon is experimenting with dual Xeon. So power requirements can be drastically different, especially with i9-10900k on Turbo and they also have very different base clock. However, if I am not mistaken the dual Xeon consumes atleast a constant 12v/6A. I am sure Nenon will chime in with more details.....

I was also wondering how a 5mH choke would do anything serious, my tube amp has a custom 400H (@100mA) HiB core choke weighing a ton , of course that PSU uses far less capacitance than this PSU due to the mercury filled tube rectifiers but still.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

19 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I was also wondering how a 5mH choke would do anything serious, my tube amp has a custom 400H (@100mA) HiB core choke weighing a ton , of course that PSU uses far less capacitance than this PSU due to the mercury filled tube rectifiers but still.

5mH choke for 10A current is not bad already

Builder of Linear Power Supplies

Okay this not a tube amplifier but a server it does not hum. What would the continuous current draw of the server be? I don’t think it’s 5 or 10 A continuous. That’s where I think the big capacitors come in, to deliver the spiky current draw of a server.
On a side note the Taiko uses a Lundahl choke not sure what it’s current rating is.

Under development:

2 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Okay this not a tube amplifier but a server it does not hum. What would the continuous current draw of the server be? I don’t think it’s 5 or 10 A continuous.

It does. The Xeon’s consume about 3A. Unlike the core i series, they are designed to be a workhouse with a steady consumption and doesn’t have current spikes like the gaming CPUs. 

14 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Okay this not a tube amplifier but a server it does not hum. What would the continuous current draw of the server be? I don’t think it’s 5 or 10 A continuous. That’s where I think the big capacitors come in, to deliver the spiky current draw of a server.
On a side note the Taiko uses a Lundahl choke not sure what it’s current rating is.

Yes...the server does not draw that much current constantly...but I think nobody would accept a PSU / hifi equipment rattles intermittently (during necessary loading times)

When designing a PSU, always consider the max load, otherwise reliability issue will arise

SGMS Extreme is only using capacitor input filter on the PSU.... so the requirement / spec on the choke is much relaxed

Builder of Linear Power Supplies

8 minutes ago, Soul Analogue said:

SGMS Extreme is only using capacitor input filter on the PSU.... so the requirement / spec on the choke is much relaxed

choke on the right

image.jpeg.30fd771691b1dbdadca829997de9b887.jpeg

Then the Capacitor bank:

image.jpeg.eec456775b11f283763d2cdf717a6d82.jpeg

Under development:

11 minutes ago, Soul Analogue said:

Capacitors on the left ...which is right after the Recifier diodes = Capacitor input filter.... Not choke input filter that I mentioned above

Okay so what is that Lundahl thing doing? Found a better picture.

image.thumb.jpeg.c606b1308c6bcc3467c9cfb80975ec16.jpeg

Under development:

3 minutes ago, Soul Analogue said:

It is a Capacitor Input CLC filter topology...the L does help on ripple reduction than Capacitor only filter

?? Is the L in the CLC not a choke?

In this threat we are discussing CLCLC filters, taiko dc-atx power supply for nenon’s diy server.

Under development:

15 minutes ago, Soul Analogue said:

It is a Capacitor Input CLC filter topology...the L does help on ripple reduction than Capacitor only filter

Originally the suggestion was to use the CLC (which is nothing but a pi filter), then CLCLC and finally CLCLCCC for the ultimate 🙂

Just now, Soul Analogue said:

YES the L is the Choke

But having a choke does not mean it is a Choke Input filter, which is a choke Right after Rectification, No capacitor in between

CLC filter is still a Capacitor input filter.....

Please differentiate these topologies.... 

don’t think we are talking about LC filter here. All discussions are around CLC. So, yes it’s a capacitor input filter.