IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

On 6/10/2021 at 10:03 PM, Topk said:

Sharing tips/findings on how to optimize SQ

0) for context, please refer to system description in my profile 

1) Cooling off the LPS 

I use a huge 20 cm Noctua fan (Noctua NF-A20 5V PWM) - which is virtually silent - and powered by 5V power bank to keep my 12V CPU Keces P8 cool. Not touching the Keces, not on the same furniture than the PC, and not on the mains power.

The sound is significantly better when the LPS is cool.

Another tip is to blow the fan on the bottom of the Keces (not the top) where the hot components are. 

2) 2 x Keces P8 for CPU

On the motherboard, the CPU has 2 connectors: 8 pin and optional 4 pin. I used to have 1 Keces P8 on the 8 pin. I added a second Keces P8 on the 4 pin and the sound became much bigger, more powerful, fuller. Worth every penny and can’t go back.

Keeping Keces (powering the CPU) cool also decrease the Amps used by the Keces (which is easy to check on the amp meter display) and also decreases the CPU heat (since less power is sent to the CPU).

I also use another Keces P8 for the 800W HDplex converter. So 3 in total. 

3) CPU voltage 

I also increased my CPU voltage and I found out that the SQ does increase with voltage. So unfortunately undervolting - if pushed too far - does have SQ consequences… regardless of performance measurements. 

I would keep CPU voltage at 1.25V minimum or above at that point. 

4) CPU speed

I found out that locking the CPU speed increases SQ vs. letting the BIOS dynamically adjust the CPU speed. Sound is more stable. 

So the best SQ in my case is: 2 x Keces P8 for CPU on 8 pin and 4 pin + locked CPU speed + CPU voltage not too low (to keep heat manageable in a passive case) maybe 1.3V or more 

Hi,i m in the same boat as you.

2 p8 keces ,

One 12v from p8 direct to cpu.(4pin)

One 19 v p8 direct to hd800.

I dont see any other 8 or 4 pin in my cpu?

35 minutes ago, sakso136 said:

Hi,i m in the same boat as you.

2 p8 keces ,

One 12v from p8 direct to cpu.(4pin)

One 19 v p8 direct to hd800.

I dont see any other 8 or 4 pin in my cpu?

For clarification:

I have an 8 pin connector on cpu wich 4 pin are connected to the 12v p8 direct.

3 hours ago, sakso136 said:

For clarification:

I have an 8 pin connector on cpu wich 4 pin are connected to the 12v p8 direct.

Hello - what’s the model of your MB? Most newer MB have both a 8 pin connector and a 4 pin connector for the CPU. The 4 pin is usually for overclocking / liquid nitrogen… etc. And only the 8 pin is required to be connected for the MB to boot.

However the finding is that if you have both the 8 pin and 4 pin connector (and by the way, my advice is that you choose a MB that has both), then connecting both connectors increase significantly the SQ - using 2 different rail, 2 LPS…

In other words, the 4 pin CPU connector (if you have one) should not be left unconnected. Multiple people have identified this already and that’s the point I wanted to make.

why is that the case? I suspect it has to do with the ability to give more stable current to the CPU 

2 hours ago, Topk said:

Hello - what’s the model of your MB? Most newer MB have both a 8 pin connector and a 4 pin connector for the CPU. The 4 pin is usually for overclocking / liquid nitrogen… etc. And only the 8 pin is required to be connected for the MB to boot.

However the finding is that if you have both the 8 pin and 4 pin connector (and by the way, my advice is that you choose a MB that has both), then connecting both connectors increase significantly the SQ - using 2 different rail, 2 LPS…

In other words, the 4 pin CPU connector (if you have one) should not be left unconnected. Multiple people have identified this already and that’s the point I wanted to make.

why is that the case? I suspect it has to do with the ability to give more stable current to the CPU 

Hi thks for responding.

My server was build by nenon,it is the i9900 k processor into phantom z390 motherboard.

The cabke  between p8 and cpu was made by nenon,top silver duelend.

There s 4 pin left unconnected now,since that cable is 4 pin .

When the 4 pin duelend cable connect into the 8pin into cpu ,4 pin are left unconnected ,if that make sense.

1 minute ago, sakso136 said:

Hi thks for responding.

My server was build by nenon,it is the i9900 k processor into phantom z390 motherboard.

The cabke  between p8 and cpu was made by nenon,top silver duelend.

There s 4 pin left unconnected now,since that cable is 4 pin .

When the 4 pin duelend cable connect into the 8pin into cpu ,4 pin are left unconnected ,if that make sense.

Oh also,i ordered the fan you use.

I received my new dac last month,and i m burning it.

So leaving my server working for ~8 hrs per day,on poorly ventilated room,without switching off,and tube amp g70 ( release a lot of heat),my dac have 5 tubes,basically when i enter my music room i feel like temperature is more than 30 degree celcius.

The sq was very bad.

Very frustrated,sceptical,i was suspecting the hot conditions are deteriorating the sq.

When i read your post,i reset the server,cool down the system,and boom,sq again top!

The p8 when left on for few days becomes bad i think.

By the way the temperature of cpu ( thru euphony os) where around 45 degrees celsius.

36 minutes ago, sakso136 said:

Oh also,i ordered the fan you use.

I received my new dac last month,and i m burning it.

So leaving my server working for ~8 hrs per day,on poorly ventilated room,without switching off,and tube amp g70 ( release a lot of heat),my dac have 5 tubes,basically when i enter my music room i feel like temperature is more than 30 degree celcius.

The sq was very bad.

Very frustrated,sceptical,i was suspecting the hot conditions are deteriorating the sq.

When i read your post,i reset the server,cool down the system,and boom,sq again top!

The p8 when left on for few days becomes bad i think.

By the way the temperature of cpu ( thru euphony os) where around 45 degrees celsius.

Why not turn amp off. Run Euphony burn in tool. Sending data to your dac. I’m running this way at the moment. I use Euphony burn in tool set to low. It’s been running for 5 days  24/7 now. Never need to check it. 

7 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Why not turn amp off. Run Euphony burn in tool. Sending data to your dac. I’m running this way at the moment. I use Euphony burn in tool set to low. It’s been running for 5 days  24/7 now. Never need to check it. 

Hi, 

Nice.

How i can do it?

Just now, sakso136 said:

Hi, 

Nice.

How i can do it?

Go to Euphony expert settings. Scroll down to stress test. You’ll see settings “Hard” change to “Low” and start it. Watch your temps for a few minutes to make sure they don’t go too high. Mine are 55c on low setting. 

C07B30FF-8614-4CB3-BF9C-2A125EF13864.png

5 hours ago, Topk said:

If you look at the photo attached below, I circled in red that in some MB (not all), you have both a 8 pin and 4 pin CPU connectors for 12V.

My experience is that you need to feed both connectors with power. Gives a significant better sound and jump in sound quality: bigger, fuller, more dynamic, more effortless. 

Do not leave the CPU 4 pin connector unpowered or you leave big sound quality gains on the table! This CPU needs to be well fed, it’s key to SQ.

In fact a friend just borrowed my second Keces that I was using on the CPU, and with 1 Keces P8 the sound immediately collapsed (relatively of course, it’s still OK but once you know…). No question there, and I really can’t wait to put the second Keces back on the CPU to get the full, big sound back.

As for the heat, glad I could help… definitely impacts SQ. I just use a phone 5V Anker power bank to power the big Noctua fan. And by the way I was surprised than this particular fan doesn’t consume all that much so the big power bank I use can go for a few days.

I noticed the SQ issue first when I powered my system from cold, sound was best then got worse over time. Especially now we are in the summer. That was due to heat building up in the various components of the system eg Keces P8. 

BC274F25-4F8F-4096-9A9E-F3E69C57317C.jpeg

Yesterday i checked on my motherboard ,i have only an 8 pin connector,4 of them being fed by p8 12v.

The question now is,will powering the 4 pin left unconnected with power will be safe and good?

Second question ,how about using 12v feeding from hd800 to those 4pin?

If it is safe to do so,i m thinking on farad super3 12v to feed these 4 pin.

My friend ldms server is fed by a super3,and i think it is a better lps than p8.

Thks

3 hours ago, Exocer said:

Some typos in my pervious post. I meant "single CPU" not single core. I also meant upsampling where I stated "oversampling".

Anyway...

Here is what the EPS cable looks like:496206780_EPSCable(2).thumb.jpg.b3fabc75f25897fceca7a4fe304185b7.jpg

I am also sending external power to the Femto NVME drive and this was a substantial improvement across the board. I have zero recent frame of reference to what "analog" sounds like, but everything about the sound has improved. There are some real benefits to be had by using clean dedicated power and good clock for Storage.

@TopkInteresting. I remember @BCRich and I were chatting about this at one point. I would like to try this, but, I'm not sure it would be possible with the 2-rail LPS I have. At the moment, I am powering both ATX/EPS with 1 19v rail of my 2 rail LPS. I have the 2nd rail of the same LPS available for use.. Would I fry my machine by using that 2nd rail to power the 4-pin connector? The CPU would receive power from the Taiko DC-ATX and a separate dedicated 12v rail rated up to 12a continuous.

Cheers,

-Rob

Two Taiko’s. 1 for each EPS connector? 😂😂