IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

1 hour ago, Rovo said:

Nenon, this will take a while before the connection diagram will be available. Is it possible that you share some photos of your current testing setup. The reason for this is that I will make my own chassis and with the photos I will get a better idea about the size requirements. I have already designed my own chassis (for a different micro ATX motherboard) and would like to get a feeling if the unregulated LPS will fit.

Currently the motherboard is in a Streacom FC5 chassis, but will be assembled in the new chassis with the Taiko DC-ATX and a Paul Hynes SR7T or the unregulated LPS.

PC Endpoint samenstelling.jpg

IMG_20210119_092901.jpg

How big is the chassis? Taiko's chassis is 19” x 15.7” x 6.2”, I don't think v3 would fit. The chassis on the pictures looks much smaller than that. 

Take a look at the BOM I posted. I've listed all the parts there. You can check their dimensions. The only dimensions that you can't find online are the transformer and the Taiko MOSFET rectifier. I don't have their dimensions handy at the moment but will provide them in due time. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

Sorry to interrupt a last few posts but I’m at my wits end with a problem I have! 

I’ve been run successfully my Asus Rog Maximus XII Extreme mobo fine for the last few months!! 

What’s the problem? It won’t pass boot it say “Load VGA Bios” out of my 100 times trying its booted twice! 

Here’s a list of everything I’ve tried, countless hour in the last week. 

Cleared CMOS

Flashed bios with my working version 

Flashed bios with new version 

Removed RAM to 1 stick

Removed M.2 cards

Turned of Turbo & set all bios options to default 

Put bios settings back in that we’re working before. 
Removed Eth & USB card

Tried with a PC PSU. Interestingly boots no problem, that indicates maybe my LPS.  But they are working fine, unless an internal fault on the ATX or CPU rail. But maybe because I have a GPU card installed. My mobo doesn’t have internal graphics

Usually you can pin point the issue but I have no idea what to do next except chuck the mobo in the bin & start again! Arrrrrr! 

any help would be much appreciated! As I said it past post twice in probably 100 attempts! But I rebooted Euphony today and got stuck again! Rebooted it 30 times & gave up! So here I am asking for help! 

Hopefully someone can help? 

12 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Tried with a PC PSU. Interestingly boots no problem, that indicates maybe my LPS.

During the boot process, high current peaks can overload weak power supplies. The boot process is aborted or repeated. This can destroy the motherboard. Which CPU are you using?

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

During the boot process, high current peaks can overload weak power supplies. The boot process is aborted or repeated. This can destroy the motherboard. Which CPU are you using?

i9 10900k - has been working for 2 months now with turbo on. set to short 150w and long 120w. I have a 10a supply. I turned off Turbo and still the same issue, which leads to me the ATX rail. 

Interestingly when I connect my PC PSU and boot it then shutdown and connect my LPS, it works, but only once. 

I have my Taiko card, awaiting for my cables to get made. That will resolve the issue I'm sure. 

1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

i9 10900k

Is the CPU multiplier set to Auto? If so, try a fixed assignment for all cores, for example 42 (4.2GHz).

@StreamFidelity

I got it booted again. Connected pc psu loaded up Euphony. Shutdown. Connected LPS & worked. One thing I noticed was HD button flashes fast with pc psu, but same button lights up but doesn’t flash fast. It gets stuck on 2 flashes, maybe be drive is stopping the boot process.

I have added two extra sticks of ram and additional m.2 card. I wonder if ATX is getting enough power on boot. 

good old sic-safco used to make some great capacitors, I used quite a few in my Le Monstre amp build decades ago (1.5F capacitor bank at 12V-0-12V). Generally it's recommendable to parallel more small caps than a few whopping large ones. Low ESR and noise current at your target voltage and high current capability are key, there probably are a few members here who can compare with other current caps.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

On 5/16/2021 at 11:44 AM, Nenon said:

I mentioned doing a potential group order in the past. I can try to organise that and get the entire BOM. If anyone is interested in that, please contact me on PM before the end of May indicating if you want v2 or v3 and if you want someone to build it for you.

@Nenon Sorry if I'm jumping the gun here.  Since there is a likely a "v4" (for the Taiko chassis) down the line, would this indication of interests for the group buy include the v4 as well?  I understand you don't have all the parts fleshed out for v4 yet - I am just thinking along the lines of the long lead times for some parts, would it make sense to size the demand for that as well.  I, for one, would likely opt for the one chassis for the music server and power supply. 

Nenon, thank you for all the information. I know we are "squeezing" you for information at the moment.

Blackswan, I also want to use one chassis for the endpoint (in my case) and the power supply. My current chassis design is not the right layout for the unregulated LPS v3. Luckily my motherboard is a micro-ATX, with some rearranging I think I can fit it within my current chassis dimensions but it will be a tight squeeze. With the dual processor motherboard I do not think it will be possible to put it all in one chassis or you will have to be creative (using the height more optimal). I will first continue with my current design putting a SR7T in. I already have my aluminium cut to size in house.

4 hours ago, Nenon said:

I wonder if @Peter Avgeris or someone else here can build us a similar choke with silver wire or just better quality copper wire?

How about these?

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/000-7527-5mh-jantzen-cross-coil.html

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

On 5/16/2021 at 5:44 PM, Nenon said:

The second version (aka v2) consists of: IEC inlet --> Fuse --> Soft start --> Transformer --> Mosfet rectifier --> Hammond choke --> 3 x Mundorf HC 22,000 uF (each bypassed with VCAP ODAM 0.1 uF film cap) --> Output connector.

Hi @Nenon, Do you know what is power requirement to boot C621 MB? Hammond choke is rated with 5A, do you know, what current is taken from PSU by Taiko ATX board? In the meantime ( waiting for final information ) I'm considering to base rectifier on diodes, do you know what amperage will be needed?

1 hour ago, Tatomek7 said:

Hi @Nenon, Do you know what is power requirement to boot C621 MB? Hammond choke is rated with 5A, do you know, what current is taken from PSU by Taiko ATX board? In the meantime ( waiting for final information ) I'm considering to base rectifier on diodes, do you know what amperage will be needed?

max dc current is rated at 10A.

https://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/195G10/?qs=xaYn2CMR%2FYz%2FNwLgL4s0Cw%3D%3D

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2