IGNORED

Ugly or Angry Looking Speakers

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

@The Computer Audiophile Chris, I can't stand the fact that your new speakers have been the object of jokes on this thread. IMO you deserve good looking speakers and I think many here will not only agree but would also be willing to pitch in to get you some decent looking transducers. As for your Wilsons - I think you don't have to worry - you can always donate them to some poor kid who only knows the sound of his cell phone speaker.. 

Hereby I kindly ask everyone who is ready to pitch in to upvote this post as a sign of his willingness to take part in this project. 9_9

okay I have been following this thread and there are indeed many ugly “extreem” speakers mentioned. But in theory we are all audiophiles here and not women plus ugliness is in the eye of the beholder. So what do you guys think are beautiful speakers?

Personally I like the Wilsons so if Chris want to donate them to me I would not mind. I also like the recent Rathms, maybe not the biggest one but middle one looks nice. 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

7 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

@STC  Do you think that is a "woofer wall" behind those blue horns?

I think there were just decors. Anything else would destroy stereo image. 

7 hours ago, Kimo said:

So if I crank up some John Fahey solo acoustic guitar on this last system, just how big would the guitar appear to be? 

Sole stereo recording of the guitar probably as large as the speakers width, IMHO. 

Here are a  couple of pics of my Snell Type A III.  

Re-foaming the midranges mid-2016 required removal of the black mesh covers to the upper sections.

In e-mail conversation with Peter Qvortrup at the time, he remarked, "I own several pairs of the A/III, it is in my opinion the finest 3 way speaker ever made and will probably remain so for all time ... They always sounded the best to me without the cloth on, but [referring to a photo he had solicited of my speakers without the grilles] they do look pretty agricultural. ... Getting the [cover back on the frame] is a nightmare!!"

His use of the word "agricultural" has rather stuck with me. I guess it could translate to "ugly and angry" (perhaps depending on your view of farmers).

My system has changed a great deal in the past 3½ years. I would not consider recovering the frame now. I still adore these speakers. I just love them for what they are - and also of course for what they emanate. I appreciate music somatically.

1.JPG

2.JPG

All these comments about speakers reminded me of the movie Ruthless People, with Judge Reinhold

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet