IGNORED

Ugly or Angry Looking Speakers

3 hours ago, Kimo said:

I... find Falling Water a tad offensive to the eye inside and out, so what do I know.

The real problem was that Falling Water was a tad offensive to the owners who wanted to stay dry inside their home.

Following that line of thought... since architects are fond of "designing" chairs you cannot sit in... how often have they designed speakers you cannot listen to (or look at)...

7 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

The real problem was that Falling Water was a tad offensive to the owners who wanted to stay dry inside their home.

Following that line of thought... since architects are fond of "designing" chairs you cannot sit in... how often have they designed speakers you cannot listen to (or look at)...

Indeed, the wife had her own spot built higher up on the hill to get away from the house.

6 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Well, the sound could have biased my opinion of the appearance. 😜

I suspect even more than you think. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’ve always hated the looks of these. 

ABB847FC-A46F-42E9-8984-BEA01EDD7FA1.jpeg

I think they look fantastic - each to his own!

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

2 hours ago, Summit said:

Quad 57 electrostatic speakers was considered one of the best sounding loud speakers for many years. Many said they liked the look of them :o 

image.png.b555c47b49c8e91a1dac26acb8c25156.png

image.png.9e3480586fed9940d78c9101e75f8978.png

Considering most of what was available at that time at that level of sound quality, they were down right gorgeous. They are actually pretty small and unobtrusive relative to most high end products of that era.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

3 hours ago, 4est said:

Considering most of what was available at that time at that level of sound quality, they were down right gorgeous. They are actually pretty small and unobtrusive relative to most high end products of that era.

Yes they sound very good, I have been told, and definitely look better in black. They had no real sub-base thou and could not play loud. But many loved them and some used two pair to be able to play a bit louder. Mark Levinson liked them so much that they built their famous HQD loudspeaker system with them. You can see the subs and all the amps in this photo.

image.png.4b7929090e621e6d5df6dac43c1294e8.png

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mark-levinson-hqd-loudspeaker-system

http://www.vintagehificlub.com/quote-elettroniche/mark-levinson/

@Kal RubinsonI have heard them be called Fire Guards as well.