IGNORED

Acceptable Responses when Impossible Claims Are Made??

Ralf11

18 hours ago, tapatrick said:

I probably agree with you but not totally getting your drift... and what’s a ‘weasel’ word? 

I work back to front to nearly everyone else in audio - most see a system as not sounding good enough, because they haven't got a good enough DAC, amplifier, speaker, room - tick the appropriate box(es), 😉. My experiences have told me that the components within the system, and room, are intrinsically good enough, unless severely compromised - so a highly cost effective DIY approach is to work out where poor design, implementation, below standard hardware are bottlenecks, and remedy those areas with some low cost additions, replacements or workarounds.

Most people do this already - the world of tweaks is where the action is 🙂; but it helps a great deal if you know precisely what you're aiming for - to be able to listen to playback, and easily pick misbehaviour. So "synergy" is merely a way of saying that the misbehaviour is at very low audible levels, by a combination of circumstances, or good luck - it's a "weasel word" because it creates an impression that something specific and meaningful has been said about the components, when in fact it has almost nothing to do with the real reasons for the better SQ.

The subject of cables is pretty straightforward - to me, 😉. It's one of the most obvious bottlenecks in a system, because the degree of robustness is very poor - think of it as a link between two nodes or points in an electrical circuit, and compare its properties to that of a track on a circuit board - in every possible way, the latter is vastly superior to the former, electrically and physically - just the length of the cable puts it at a severe disadvantage, alone.

My thinking is that you make the cable have an integrity as close as possible to the copper trace on the board - which is the reason why I always hard wire, or equivalent, everything; that is, there is a logical reason for doing this, "strange thing", 😉.

15 hours ago, semente said:

What about noise-shaping and @Miskas measurements showing ultrasonic rubbish and @Juds ultra-wide bandwidth amplifier and wide-bandwidth metal-alloy dome tweeter?

Ultrasonic noise doesn't usually cause trouble.  It can, but I don't share Miska's opinion about its importance.  I was using interconnect as a starting point, and that stuff really isn't a cable thing. 

Don't know of a cable that will effect positively or negatively dome tweeter ringing just outside the 20 khz range.  Otherwise you have a filter not a cable.  

Wide bandwidth is relative.  Jud's amps are good for a megahertz or so.  Most any halfway reasonable cable will be okay for .5 mhz or a bit less.  The amp maker prefers very high capacitance cables to roll off slightly the amp, but I've used them without such unusual cables without any problem.  And by not any problem I did check for ringing with an O-scope. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

12 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

I like the polite tone and I like the discussion, so I’m going to reward you by disagreeing 😁 Politely disagreeing. 

In terms of cables, what about Echo, NEXT, FEXT and all the other problems related to impedance, cross talk, conductor interaction and radiated EMI and RFI? Do they have no effect of how the ultimate signals sound? They certainly will effect what comes out of the end of the cable I would have thought. 

I would just parrot mansr's post that at audio frequencies those aren't a concern. 

I mean we can get ridiculous have a flat ribbon cable like the Mapleshade Clearview, and put it right next to a big transformer radiating enough 60 hz it will get into things. That is EMI.  Using a twisted pair with shield or coax you'll not get problems that way. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

46 minutes ago, esldude said:

Yes, I'd consider the Mapleshade design to be inherently unsound.  As I do the early ribbon interconnects from other people.  OTOH, if you aren't getting noise into them, they work out the same as reasonable interconnect design.  So one real difference is noise pickup, but easily measured and nothing unexpected.  

You might recall I once put up measurements of various interconnects wrapped around a gaming computer PS with the computer running all out.  There was noise pick up.  Unwrap it and there was barely noise pickup.  Move it a foot away, and no noise pickup above the analog noise floor of the gear.  So helps keep things in perspective. 

I have cables running within inches of a number of transformers, including the sizable one in my amp. Whether unshielded cables would pick up any noise in this situation I don't know, but no reason not to go with inexpensive shielded cables and be that much more sure.

You'll likely recall I had a phono hum with the unshielded flat cables that went away when I used cables with better shielding. Don't know whether it was the shielding or some other characteristic of the substituted cables that made that happen.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

😂 y’all need to step away from the computer and put on an album

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

15 hours ago, fas42 said:

Most people do this already - the world of tweaks is where the action is 🙂; but it helps a great deal if you know precisely what you're aiming for - to be able to listen to playback, and easily pick misbehaviour. So "synergy" is merely a way of saying that the misbehaviour is at very low audible levels, by a combination of circumstances, or good luck - it's a "weasel word" because it creates an impression that something specific and meaningful has been said about the components, when in fact it has almost nothing to do with the real reasons for the better SQ.

I think weasels get a bad rap.. 'Synergy' can mean many things, or nothing as you have pointed out. The meaning I used is when your system comes together to sound right (that includes the listener) even if this is temporary. Semantics aside thanks for clarifying what you meant so now I get your drift.. :)

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers.