IGNORED

Acceptable Responses when Impossible Claims Are Made??

Ralf11

2 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

I think weasels get a bad rap.. 'Synergy' can mean many things, or nothing as you have pointed out. The meaning I used is when your system comes together to sound right (that includes the listener) even if this is temporary. Semantics aside thanks for clarifying what you meant so now I get your drift.. :)

From what I gather synergy usually means a lot more trying that two wrongs make a right than trying to achieve electrical compatibility.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

The basic/true/dictionary definition of a synergy is when multiple processes add together to produce a greater whole.   A kind of super addition.  It appears that synergy can apply to almost any aspect of co-mingling processes where there is a substantial benefit to do so.

On the other hand, there is a lot of affectation and sophistry in business/bureaucrat speak -- I suggest reverting to a reasonable, well defined usage of the term.

I am a bit cynical and irritated about fake-sophistication -- along with my vocabulary, my communications skills generally suck - weird words don't help.  At least it is best to use words as they are defined, instead of being poetic or mophing definitions.   All of we who try to speak English as our native tongue should really TRY to expand our vocabulary so we don't start dysapplying words.   (Of course, I am coining a word -- where 'dysapplying' means, applying a word or term in an eccentric or overly extended way.)   Some humor is intended here, but my point is still somewhat valid.  English tends to be a little TOO fluid.  A little bit fluid is okay though.

John

2 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

According to our friend Wiki...

Synergy is the creation of a whole that is greater than the simple sum of its parts. The term synergy comes from the Attic Greek word συνεργία synergia[1] from synergos, συνεργός, meaning "working together".

Your post ended up being just before mine...   Good point about trying to understand what the word REALLY means!!!

41 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Your post ended up being just before mine...   Good point about trying to understand what the word REALLY means!!!

:)

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

7 hours ago, semente said:

From what I gather synergy usually means a lot more trying that two wrongs make a right than trying to achieve electrical compatibility.

I wouldn't call it electrical compatibility - it's electrical robustness one is after; where I see so many losing the plot is that they think that it's a virtue that the rig becomes so sensitive that the slightest twitching of one's little finger is enough to change the SQ - giving them a thrill, through sitting continually on a gizmo merry go round. My POV is that real end goal is for the setup to disappear, and doing anything further either 'positive' or 'negative', outside the now robust system, makes no difference to the subjective experience

Good 'synergy', that is, a system which doesn't call attention to itself, for the wrong reasons, is the automatic outcome of working through system weaknesses - the recording, whatever it happens to be, becomes the dominant factor in what you hear - as it should, 😉.

12 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

I I think synergy is more than that. A system that doesn’t call attention to itself doesn’t sound like an aspiration. Synergy is when the performance of 2 or more components complement one another such that the performance of all components is markedly improved.  In the flesh, synergy should result in a $5,000 system outperforming an average $20,000 system.  The numbers are irrelevant but the principal is that synergy elevates performance to a new level not generally achieved by the same components in non-synergistic systems.  Synergy is most usually discovered experientially where components are tried together and the resulting sound is far better than the components are generally known to produce in other systems.  

I suspect you misunderstand what I'm saying ... "calling attention to itself" means that one is aware of the 'mechanical parts' of the rig, rather than the content of the recording; the goal is that playback setup is completely invisible as part of the sound environment - the musical event being presented completely dominates 'your world', especially because it can be raised in volume to match the real world counterpart.

What you call "synergy" is merely what the recording actually sounds like, without the baggage of rig weaknesses dragging down the experience - the "supa dupa" system is not making the recording sound fantastic; the recording always is fantastic, irrespective of what it sounds like on a lesser system - what one wants to do, at least in my case 😛, is to get rid of the junk that's getting in the way of hearing that potential ... 🙂.

Why "where components are tried together and the resulting sound is far better than the components are generally known to produce in other systems" occurs is because the audio industry can't get its act together, and devise ways of measuring what's going on, and expand its understanding of how the human brain reacts to hearing various sound anomalies. 'Poor' combos of gear means that degrading interactions between the components are dragging the SQ down much lower than it needs to be; a good combo just happens because this issue is much less than normal, usually more by luck than intent.