IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

On 9/18/2018 at 8:50 PM, Sonicularity said:

The title of this thread is annoying.  It suggests that much of the research to garner any actual knowledge about this lossy format was somehow only one side of a complete story. That is absolute crap.  There is no middle ground.  There are lies and marking BS and a reality this is continually ignored or side-stepped in an effort to promote a proprietary format that could potentially and critically have a negative impact on consumer interests.

There is a middle ground in everything where there are two sides. Extremists on the ends and somewhere between them is the middle ground. Middle ground shouldn't be confused with the dead center or as our President has said, "I'm sure there are good people on both sides."

The truth is not 100% of what has been said By MQA Ltd and the truth is not 100% of what has been said by those who hate MQA.  

Please don't think this title means I will try to persuade haters to like MQA and MQA to like the haters and have a big happy hug in the middle where we all decide MQA is benign and consumers can buy it if they wish. That's not my intention.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 9/19/2018 at 10:27 AM, mansr said:

More importantly, MQA does not save any bandwidth. That claim is a complete fabrication.

This is a topic I will address in the seminar. 

Compared to Redbook MQA uses equal or more bandwidth. However, with higher resolutions MQA, just like MP3, can save bandwidth by throwing out data. Whether one accepts that as a tradeoff is a different issue, but it's a fact that MQA can save bandwidth. So can MP3. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

My goal is to stay out of the deeply technical weeds. I will touch on some of the stuff such as 18 bits, file sizes, etc... but will mostly look at this from a consumer perspective. Consumers are the audience at the show and the reason for the industry. I will talk to them and provide information they can use. 

I'm putting everything together today and tomorrow (possibly Fri. & Sat. after the show as well). 

Without opening a huge can of worms, I'll ask the question - What do you think consumers should know?

Based on previous seminars I've given, there will be a few people who already know this stuff, but most will have only read bits and pieces of what the old guard has told them.

2 hours ago, Archimago said:

I do hope that a representative for MQA is on hand to answer for some of these rather straightforward questions/issues even if a bit uncomfortable as they may arise!

One of the first things I did after conceiving the idea for this seminar was to invite Ken Forsythe from MQA to attend.   I have nothing to hide and am not out to take down MQA. I’m out to provide information. However painful that may be to some on all sides.

After all, if you have cancer you want the doc to tell you the truth so you can make an informed decision on whether or not you want to live with it or fight it. 

13 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

Not that it matters but I just noticed that Enjoythemusic.com says they sponsored the seminar that Chris put on? I was under the impression that he set it up. 

That site sponsored a ton of stuff at the show. Heck, the elevators were sponsored by someone. Doesn't mean they had anything to do with elevating or lower people :~)

1 minute ago, MikeyFresh said:

But it's Chris' session, only he can then decide whether this supposedly "important information" was actually such, or lacked detail and merit such that it didn't pass muster for inclusion in the presentation.

That's where the oft repeated question of why didn't MQA book their own session at RMAF if  they have important details or clarification/rebuttals to share? Why was last year's session abruptly canceled?

Since that question has never been adequately addressed, it isn't valid for you to point at these "important" communications from Jbara and Forsythe as having been unfairly omitted.

If you have inside knowledge as to this so-called "important" omitted content somehow being relevant/elucidating, etc... why not detail it for us right here then?

There was never "important information" sent to me. I was all debunked. If I had included this "important information" it would have looked like I was attacking MQA and trying to take them down. Honestly, I would have had to include both sides of that story. Bob's claims and the rest of the world's engineers debunking it. Imagine how biased they would have thought the presentation was after that.