IGNORED

Everything sounds the same

mansr

22 minutes ago, mansr said:

The irrational claim is that the differences between components can't be measured.

OK, more literal : Of course they can. But this is different from attributing value to it. So a capacitor will show "noise". It may even show a pattern. But that doesn't mean that we can see whether it will sound better or not. For that we need to know quite a lot more. And btw, preferably it sounds still OK after 2 months of being in use. So it is also related to the ambient heat, etc. etc. etc. Nothing much new.

But what it comes down to is that we thus must measure "systems" as such. And now we are in trouble ... (kind of).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

3 hours ago, mansr said:

The irrational claim is that the differences between components can't be measured.

That would indeed be an irrational claim.  That wasn't what the post I responded to was saying, as far as I could tell, though of course I could be wrong.

We'd probably get a range of opinions here regarding whether we know everything that's important to measure. But what is your opinion regarding whether the usual specifications for electronic components (discrete or ICs) comprise all those that we know may be important?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

13 hours ago, jabbr said:

Creationism isn't science because the hypothesis isn't disprovable. In normal science a phenomenon is observed and they a hypothesis is generated and experiments are designed to disprove the hypothesis. Observations alone don't constitute science regardless of the statistics e.g "everybody knows"

What do you think the quotes around the words science and scientist are for? Creation science isn't trying to disprove anything, they are trying to prove something so silly and so naive that it's right up there with proving Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. And a lot of these audio tweak sellers are not too far removed from Creation Science. I.E. they have an answer, and the've worked backwards to try to curve fit the facts to fit that answer. Interesting point about Creation Science. These people hire actual scientists, i.e. people with actual degrees in scientific disciplines such as geology, paleontology, archeology, sociology, etc. But these people aren't doing any real research, but I suspect they are doing more science than the audio voodoo-ist! 

George

19 minutes ago, Jud said:

That would indeed be an irrational claim.  That wasn't what the post I responded to was saying, as far as I could tell, though of course I could be wrong.

We'd probably get a range of opinions here regarding whether we know everything that's important to measure. But what is your opinion regarding whether the usual specifications for electronic components (discrete or ICs) comprise all those that we know may be important?

I was assuming that the four different manufacturing processes of each of the capacitors were not impacting the overall sound of the final product as would be typically measured when analyzing for an audible difference.   I was referring to the idea that if only a capacitor was swapped that was within 1% tolerance, and everything else being equal, it didn't make logical sense this capacitor alone was responsible for any perceived difference with the sound.

Maybe everyone involved in the test prefers one of the letters used to distinguish between the different test samples and so they chose that one?   I think there was a difference in the audio that was detected, but I cannot accept, without more information, that it was simply the result of spraying something on a cap.   

17 minutes ago, Jud said:

Data sheets for components provide a slew of properties, far more than the basic parameters like capacitance and ESR (if we're talking about capacitors). From reputable manufacturers, that is. Good luck finding any specs for "audio" components distinguishing them from standard high-grade parts.

15 hours ago, mansr said:

Something tells me you didn't even attempt to measure whatever differences you imagined hearing.

14 hours ago, mansr said:

That's not what anyone would call statistically significant.

13 hours ago, Superdad said:

Really?  The odds of 4 people randomly all making the same 1-out-of-4 choice is 0.39%.  

3 hours ago, mansr said:

You like to move the goal posts don’t you?  So which is it you can not abide?:

a) Four different speaker designers all preferred through listening the same slight metallurgical variant of end-spray (out of 4 secretly labeled versions; the odds for it happening by chance are minuscule);

or

b) That measurements to quantify the differences were not made.  (There are plenty of measures that have been made on our caps: DA, DF, inductive reactance curves, etc., but a change in end-spray or oven time, even if they registered slight measured difference would likely not correlate with what is heard.)

You continue to mistakenly think I am anti-measurement an/or anti-science.  However it seems it is you—and some of your brethren—who come across as anti-science with your steadfast dismissals of supplemental use of empirical observation via A/B/A/B comparisons with trained human ears.

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

You like to move the goal posts don’t you?  So which is it you can not abide?:

a) Four different speaker designers all preferred through listening the same slight metallurgical variant of end-spray (out of 4 secretly labeled versions; the odds for it happening by chance are minuscule);

One test with four participants, never replicated, means nothing whatsoever regardless of the outcome.

or

b) That measurements to quantify the differences were not made.  (There are plenty of measures that have been made on our caps: DA, DF, inductive reactance curves, etc., but a change in end-spray or oven time, even if they registered slight measured difference would likely not correlate with what is heard.)

So you're saying that immeasurable differences result in readily audible changes to the sound. That is simply not plausible.

You continue to mistakenly think I am anti-measurement an/or anti-science.

You are certainly not pro-science.

17 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

This is faulty logic along the lines of the Survivorship Fallacy.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/238/Survivorship-Fallacy

By focusing on the few who have made outrageous claims and who were proven right, you are ignoring the tens of thousands who have made outrageous claims, were proven wrong, and have been forgotten forever.

This is where we need the ideas of Thomas Kuhn and The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, instead of the usual talk of Popperian Falsification. Galileo and Newton created paradigm shifts in scientific research, and the other guys who we've forgotten about didn't create such shifts.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

22 minutes ago, Superdad said:

You continue to mistakenly think I am anti-measurement an/or anti-science.  However it seems it is you—and some of your brethren—who come across as anti-science with your steadfast dismissals of supplemental use of empirical observation via A/B/A/B comparisons with trained human ears.

Please do not feed self identified troll! he only want to sow & feed off confusion, dissension & chaos. 'logic' is irrelevant, only tactic. Brings no value to forum. :S

IMO, member Ignore list key to sane use of CA forums. Hover over troll's avatar & popup has Ignore button at bottom for easy use. What is Alex's time worth? So little to waste on useless typing to feed twisted emotions?

23 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

This is where we need the ideas of Thomas Kuhn and The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, instead of the usual talk of Popperian Falsification. Galileo and Newton created paradigm shifts in scientific research, and the other guys who we've forgotten about didn't create such shifts.

This is exactly where Kuhn got it completely wrong.

It was only because Heliocentrism makes falsifiable predictions, that could be experimentally tested and in fact falsified, that Galileo prevailed.

9 minutes ago, mansr said:

One test with four participants, never replicated, means nothing whatsoever regardless of the outcome.

Well it meant quite a bit to the speaker manufacturers who participated since we moved forward with production of the variant that they all ranked as the best.

So you're saying that immeasurable differences result in readily audible changes to the sound. That is simply not plausible.

No. I am saying that none of the traditional parameters which could be readily measured would correlate or indicate the significant (to speaker designers who knew their crossovers well and to whom subltle differences matter) sonic variation between the variously built capacitors.  And I am saying that it was more efficient and effective for aural observations to be used to make final manufacturing process determination. (And you will hear this from the majority of successful high-end audio manufacturers.)

I still have some of the coded variant samples used in the test.  Would you like me to send you the best ranked and the worst ranked for you to see what differences you can measure?  See if you can tell by measurement which variant will perform best.

You are certainly not pro-science.

No, I just happen to hang about here so you like using me as a straw man for you snark. :P

32 minutes ago, wgscott said:

This is exactly where Kuhn got it completely wrong.

It was only because Heliocentrism makes falsifiable predictions, that could be experimentally tested and in fact falsified, that Galileo prevailed.

My understanding is that Heliocentrism made falsifiable predictions about Geocentrism, which proved to be correct. So it wasn't Heliocentrism that was falsified, it was Geocentrism.

Popper may have argued that they were both theories because they were both falsifiable. Maybe Popper doesn't capture the idea of a theory giving better predicitions which more easily match reality, and which don't need lots of exceptions and caveats that are characteristic of a paradigm in crisis that is nearing the end of it's life. Geocentrism was beginning to give everyone big headaches at the time as far as I know.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Well it meant quite a bit to the speaker manufacturers who participated since we moved forward with production of the variant that they all ranked as the best.

No. I am saying that none of the traditional parameters which could be readily measured would correlate or indicate the significant (to speaker designers who knew their crossovers well and to whom subltle differences matter) sonic variation between the variously built capacitors.  And I am saying that it was more efficient and effective for aural observations to be used to make final manufacturing process determination. (And you will hear this from the majority of successful high-end audio manufacturers.)

I still have some of the coded variant samples used in the test.  Would you like me to send you the best ranked and the worst ranked for you to see what differences you can measure?  See if you can tell by measurement which variant will perform best.

No, I just happen to hang about here so you like using me as a straw man for you snark. :P

Since I’ve been focused on unsuccessful high-end manufactures lately is their behavior different?

10 hours ago, Superdad said:

Right.  And yet both Galileo and Newton were considered heretics at the time.  I think you are supporting my point.  9_9  The pioneers are the ones that end up with arrows in their backs.

Newton was hardly considered heretic though he became very eccentric later on n life. He was certainly a character though but held very prominent positions. His contributions to science cannot be overstated. 

Francis Bacon (1561-1626) is considered the father of Empiricism but served as Lord Chancellor of England and was knighted. From his work the Royal Society was formed which Sir Isaac Newton served as President — so hardly a heretic!

They and other scientists such as Benjamin Franklin were held in high esteem that translated into politics.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.