IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Can someone explain why Qobuz pauses imports if the mobile app isn’t active? This makes no sense to me. I like to start a download, then switch to another app while it completes. Not possible with Qobuz. You’re held hostage by keeping the app active and your screen on. 

CF3E04C7-D4FD-49D3-83F3-432680E7BCCF.png

3 hours ago, Bevok said:

It’ll be the battery saving features of the operating system that ‘paused’ apps that aren’t in use.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

But I can still play music from the app when it's not in the foreground. I'd say downloading is using the app.

Just out of interest: From your screenshot, it looks like you are on an iPhone / iOS. Correct? Which Qobuz App version?

1 hour ago, 111MilesToGo said:

Just out of interest: From your screenshot, it looks like you are on an iPhone / iOS. Correct? Which Qobuz App version?

The Media Player framework allows the app to keep playing media in the background even when locked. Downloading is not seen as interactively using the app so it gets freezed when you change focus or lock. This affects all streaming apps (Youtube Music, Deezer, Tidal) in my testing, although not Apple Music :-) So its an Operating System thing not a Qobuz app thing.

10 minutes ago, left channel said:

An API is available. I don't know how public it is. As I mentioned a bit up-thread, on Android I use a great alternative that bypasses system resampling and supports Qobuz, Tidal, local files, and more: USB Audio Player Pro. And as I mentioned further up-thread, on my home server I use the free Qobuz plugin for Squeezebox/LMS. I seldom use the official Qobuz apps, and don't even have the Android app installed because it was misbehaving.

I use it on Sonos and an Arylic streamer through their apps flawlessly, I believe Musicast and Blueos also have support for it although I haven't used those personally.

21 minutes ago, left channel said:

An API is available. I don't know how public it is. As I mentioned a bit up-thread, on Android I use a great alternative that bypasses system resampling and supports Qobuz, Tidal, local files, and more: USB Audio Player Pro. And as I mentioned further up-thread, on my home server I use the free Qobuz plugin for Squeezebox/LMS. I seldom use the official Qobuz apps, and don't even have the Android app installed because it was misbehaving.

I use USB Audio Player Pro as well. I like the interface, but there are a lot of additional navigation features I would like to see. I have also used the LMS plug-in, and it leaves a lot to be desired. 

To develop an app for Qobuz, you need to request an access key. As a result, choices are limited, as there are very few applications available. 

To make matters even worse, Qobuz's own apps are not great either. 

To summarize - I like Qobuz for its unique catalog, but they need to get their s*** together to offer users a better experience. It's not rocket science. 

On 7/13/2021 at 8:01 PM, loop7 said:

About 10 apps updated the other day on my Pixel 3 XL and battery performance has taken a dive.

I did a factory reset on the phone that seemed to have a battery issue after some app updates. 

From what I can tell it's not the Qobuz app. However, Audirvana remote app may be partially at fault here. More testing to do.

8 hours ago, hopkins said:

It's not rocket science. 

I agree, I think it is worse than that. There are open standards and closed ones an there are "thousands" of users/apps/programs and needs that should work and co-exist within the same frames that is available with all individual requests and needs. I have some respects to this. What is linked to Qobuz and not I don't know but I'm sure they work on the issues. They have my full support on this as the value of having real hi-res music files are higher than temporary hickups. 

I only use high res Qobuz in my HiFi gear via Lumïn app and from my android cellphone via bluetooth (MP3 or CD) in my garden and in my car. I can't see any differences between new and old app versions. Apparently there are many other ways to use it.

Lumïn had issues for years to run their app with Android. After trying on several Android plattforms I gave up and bought an iPad. This year Lumïn launched a new Android app and now it seems to work, at least for my need. 

20 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Can someone explain why Qobuz pauses imports if the mobile app isn’t active? This makes no sense to me. I like to start a download, then switch to another app while it completes. Not possible with Qobuz. You’re held hostage by keeping the app active and your screen on. 

CF3E04C7-D4FD-49D3-83F3-432680E7BCCF.png

If you go into dev options on mobile device. In there you can make the screen not go dark. This will help with long downloads from not stopping.

Hi - I'm new here.  :-)   

I'd like to find out if there has been any recent progress/resolution for the issue in the iOS BluOS  app (when using Qobuz) that prevents you from changing the sort order for your favorite Artists list. 

Currently it defaults to Date Added, with no apparent way to change this.  I do recall that for a long time, my favorite Artists list was sorted by Artist Name, which is exactly what I wanted, and I loved it.  But that went away months ago.  Of course, the native Qobuz Windows app does let me sort, but that's of limited value to me.

Any info would be appreciated - thanks!

2 hours ago, flipper said:

Hi - I'm new here.  :-)   

I'd like to find out if there has been any recent progress/resolution for the issue in the iOS BluOS  app (when using Qobuz) that prevents you from changing the sort order for your favorite Artists list. 

Currently it defaults to Date Added, with no apparent way to change this.  I do recall that for a long time, my favorite Artists list was sorted by Artist Name, which is exactly what I wanted, and I loved it.  But that went away months ago.  Of course, the native Qobuz Windows app does let me sort, but that's of limited value to me.

Any info would be appreciated - thanks!

Just tried this for you and there is now way to sort it. 

On 7/17/2021 at 12:15 AM, 111MilesToGo said:

Regarding the so-called ”screw-up of HiRes replay in the Qobuz Android App since version 6.0“ which was originally posted here

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/46611-official-qobuz-issues-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1145512

and followed up in a number of posts thereafter:

@DarginMahkum and myself have been in contact with the Qobuz Android team on this issue. Thanks to @David Craff for initiating the contact! @DarginMahkum in particular provided Android system logs which helped to solve the issue.

Thus I would like to take this opportunity and report here that as of version 6.0.1.7, which is available on the Google Play Store, playing HiRes tracks works again. The Qobuz software team says they are working towards a stable version 6.0.2 which should have this issue ironed out.

@DarginMahkum and myself at this time would also like to thank the Qobuz Android team and in particular the lead developer for their cooperation and openness. We appreciate their efforts and their willingness to work on more known core issues with high priority. Such a cooperation also imposes the necessity to focus and prioritize onto us, the user community.

I have a question regarding the HiRes playing in Android using an external usb-c DAC: does the official Quboz Android app use the standard Android drivers (that we know resample the output) or does it stream directly a bit perfect stream to the DAC?

We all know that USB Audio Player Pro seems to be the only app that streams bit perfect to external usb-c DAC (and supports natively Quboz), but Quboz UI is still better than UAPP.

3 hours ago, thegios said:

I have a question regarding the HiRes playing in Android using an external usb-c DAC: does the official Quboz Android app use the standard Android drivers (that we know resample the output) or does it stream directly a bit perfect stream to the DAC?

We all know that USB Audio Player Pro seems to be the only app that streams bit perfect to external usb-c DAC (and supports natively Quboz), but Quboz UI is still better than UAPP.

I can answer by looking at what my Cayin N6ii DAP with Android 8.1 does. When connecting a USB-DAC (e.g. an AudioQuest DragonFly Red or a Chord Hugo 2) to it via a USB-C-to-A OTG cable (e.g. iFi), the operating system gives me a choice of letting UAPP or Neutron Player access the USB DAC. Neither the Qobuz nor the Tidal Android Apps are offered at this point.

Output to the USB-DACs works fine from UAPP and Neutron, the sample rates displayed are correct. No way to make sure that the second half of bit-perfect, the bit depth, is correct, too … If you have an idea how to look at the PCM bit depth, please let me know!

On my Cayin, neither Qobuz nor Tidal output to USB.

Tidal is reported to roll out their own implementation of a bit-perfect driver, cf. https://darko.audio/2021/07/tidal-is-quietly-rolling-out-a-bit-perfect-android-app/.

Of course, out of UAPP and Neutron, only UAPP integrates with Qobuz. But, as you said, the UAPP Qobuz UI is lacking some elements and features.

As I am about to go away for a week or more where I will have little or no signal my requirement to resolve the non access to my downloads, on my Andriod phone, is becoming urgent.

If there are no resolutions in sight maybe I could revert to an early version of Qobuz. Is there a way to get early versions setup on my phone. I don't know which version I should revert to but later versions of 5.9.* caused the problem.

Any advice welcomed.

2 hours ago, athegn said:

As I am about to go away for a week or more where I will have little or no signal my requirement to resolve the non access to my downloads, on my Andriod phone, is becoming urgent.

If there are no resolutions in sight maybe I could revert to an early version of Qobuz. Is there a way to get early versions setup on my phone. I don't know which version I should revert to but later versions of 5.9.* caused the problem.

Any advice welcomed.

At the briefest: Go to either the APKMirror or APKPure web stores, search for the Qobuz App, choose the desired version, download it, and finally tap the downloaded .apk file to install it.

You should exercise care not to catch falsified software. Check to have the correct store, do the checksum test on the downloaded .apk package. Maybe download the .apk from both stores and compare via checksum. Maybe use your computer to download and check, then push the .apk to your DAP.

Hope that helps.

Thank for your post.

I should explain my setup. I have Qobuz on two devices. An Andriod tablet, connected to my hifi via ChromeCast, which only has my playlists on it. So do not download anything to that.

The other device is my Andriod phone which supplies data to my headphones; Chromecast to my Sennheiser and Bluetooth to my on the go headphones. 

If I do get an older Qobuz on my phone will I have to log out of Qobuz? I know if updating to latest version I do not have to but concerned that goin g backward maybe different. I understand that if I logout I lose all access to my downloads?

I will not do anything until next week ad holiday not till 1st August; spend this either waiting for a Qobuz resolution or back dating my Qobuz version on my phone.

Any more advice please?

13 minutes ago, athegn said:

Thank for your post.

I should explain my setup. I have Qobuz on two devices. An Andriod tablet, connected to my hifi via ChromeCast, which only has my playlists on it. So do not download anything to that.

The other device is my Andriod phone which supplies data to my headphones; Chromecast to my Sennheiser and Bluetooth to my on the go headphones. 

If I do get an older Qobuz on my phone will I have to log out of Qobuz? I know if updating to latest version I do not have to but concerned that goin g backward maybe different. I understand that if I logout I lose all access to my downloads?

I will not do anything until next week ad holiday not till 1st August; spend this either waiting for a Qobuz resolution or back dating my Qobuz version on my phone.

Any more advice please?

Thanks for your post. Yes, it's always good to be considerate beforehand. Unfortunately, I cannot answer precisely.

My experience with the Qobuz Android App is:

When a minor version update comes in (M.N to M.N+1 or the like), nothing happens.

When a major version update comes in (M.N to M+1.0 or the like), I was asked to log in again.

Unfortunately, I don't know what happens to the downloaded (imported) tracks at a major version jump. I tend to suppose they will be left intact since you don't log out before that update.

I don't know what happens when you go back in versions. I recently went from the failed 6.0.x version to the latest functioning 5.20 one, and I wanted to erase everything related to v6 beforehand. So I logged out from Qobuz first which scraps the downloads, then uninstalled the version 6 app which scraps really any Qobuz-related directories. Finally I installed version 5.20 from scratch.

My experience with downloaded (imported) tracks in Qobuz Android is a mixed one. The problem has been mentioned on this thread some time back, by myself and others. As a measure against piracy, Qobuz stores all audio data (imported, cached) in the form of tiny chunk files (.exo extension) on disk. Before version 6, all *.exo files were just 2 MB in size; I see version 6 use 2, 3, or 5 MB - not a whole lot of progress, but they say they are working on this design issue. Quite shortly after starting Qobuz on my Android DAP, I had imported 100 albums (not an awful lot, many HiRes though), which took 100 GB on disk, i.e. 50,000 *.exo chunk files. These 50,000 import files on SD card plus the cached files made my DAP really choke - it literally took 10 to 15 minutes to read the directories after booting up. Certain file actions also took an enormous amount of time while using the DAP. Truely unusable! So for the time being I just gave up importing any albums in Qobuz Android. Plus, imagine the time spent on finding the root cause of why my DAP went bananas ...

I am so sorry, but I can't provide any better help to your very considerate questions.

If you decide to be bold and install an older Qobuz App version right over your current one, I would really like to hear what happens.

20 minutes ago, 111MilesToGo said:

Quite shortly after starting Qobuz on my Android DAP, I had imported 100 albums (not an awful lot, many HiRes though), which took 100 GB on disk, i.e. 50,000 *.exo chunk files. These 50,000 import files on SD card plus the cached files made my DAP really choke - it literally took 10 to 15 minutes to read the directories after booting up. Certain file actions also took an enormous amount of time while using the DAP. Truely unusable!

Portable device app chokes on 100GB(!) of proprietary data files stored on SD card at first boot? 

Is this an accurate description of "issue"?

This is a utility function designed for ease.  Not carrying around roughly 600 hours (not an awful lot is highly instructive here) of music in a highly copy protected - believably high strain - file structure.  Consider what function a given element is there to provide.  In this case it was using a Qobuz subscription to quickly grab a handful of albums for times where internet access is unlikely to provide the level of experience they feel is required to enjoy their service.  Plane rides, down time on a camping trip, etc. 

If the combination of your DAP, your SD card, and misuse of the Qobuz app crashes it?  Consider using it within the capabilities.  Then politely asking them to reconsider if the sensibilities of Old World customers or New World customers set a better path forwards in this instance.   If you want a full library on your device.  Use it as it was designed, i.e. load it up with music you own and can freely play back without restriction.  :)

45 minutes ago, rando said:

Portable device app chokes on 100GB(!) of proprietary data files stored on SD card at first boot? 

Is this an accurate description of "issue"?

This is a utility function designed for ease.  Not carrying around roughly 600 hours (not an awful lot is highly instructive here) of music in a highly copy protected - believably high strain - file structure.  Consider what function a given element is there to provide.  In this case it was using a Qobuz subscription to quickly grab a handful of albums for times where internet access is unlikely to provide the level of experience they feel is required to enjoy their service.  Plane rides, down time on a camping trip, etc. 

If the combination of your DAP, your SD card, and misuse of the Qobuz app crashes it?  Consider using it within the capabilities.  Then politely asking them to reconsider if the sensibilities of Old World customers or New World customers set a better path forwards in this instance.   If you want a full library on your device.  Use it as it was designed, i.e. load it up with music you own and can freely play back without restriction.  :)

I fail to understand why these people feel the urge to tell paying customers what they should do or not when they don't even work for the company 😆 (oh wait, I know: it's called loving bullying other people)

Having 100GB of music on a player is a perfectly fine thing to do and asking Qobuz to use a better way to encrypt their file is also perfectly fine, instead of clogging filesystems.

My iPhone XS takes more than 1 second to open the list of offline albums and I have only ~40 of them, in mp3.

5 hours ago, maramara said:

I fail to understand why these people feel the urge to tell paying customers what they should do or not when they don't even work for the company 😆 (oh wait, I know: it's called loving bullying other people)

Having 100GB of music on a player is a perfectly fine thing to do and asking Qobuz to use a better way to encrypt their file is also perfectly fine, instead of clogging filesystems.

My iPhone XS takes more than 1 second to open the list of offline albums and I have only ~40 of them, in mp3.

There is no point in commenting on Rando's posts. It's beyond common sense.

@David Craff  I suppose one work around for my lack of access to my downloads is to re download my playlists! I have a 400GB micro SD card in my phone so storage space is not a problem but I have nearly 400 playlists, all but 9 - downloaded on the 6* Qobuz app version, will be some admin task. I don't suppose there is a batch download?