IGNORED

Steve Hoffman Forum "Fundraising"...

I find the "fundraising" at the Steve Hoffman Forum pretty offensive.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/its-sh-forums-fundraising-time-again-please-keep-us-afloat-without-banner-advertising-donate-now.757968/

Why?

Hoffman  is a self proclaimed "multi-millionaire"...that is a direct quote...and claims the forum costs $5000 a year

to run. Since he uses the forum to conduct personal business, promote his masterings, and solicit free gear and favors,

I cannot for the life of me understand why he does not write a check. One reason may be is he is a well known miser.

I also understand they collect far, far more than 5 grand every year, and there is never an accounting offered.

BTW, he is a trust fund baby, which makes his solicitation of free favors and gear even more distasteful.

4 minutes ago, diecaster said:

That’s Steve’s prerogative. The site is the biggest one in audio and the users must feel they get a lot of value. Paying money is not mandatory and those that choose to donate clearly don’t feel slighted. 

That site has been the most valuable to me of all the audio sites I visit. I have been filling out my CD collection for last year and the information available there, and really no where else, has resulted in me getting the best masterings available. 

You can certainly dislike Steve’s practices, but the site is a treasure!

thanks for your perspective.?

4 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I dare you to post the OP over there.

If you do, please time how long it lasts using a Cs clock.  I don't think a Rubidium clock will be accurate enough.

i asked Hoffman, as self proclaimed multi millionaire, why he did not simply fund the site, and I was banned in 5 minutes. BTW, they don’t even have the guts to inform you of a banning.

5 minutes ago, diecaster said:

That site has been the most valuable to me of all the audio sites I visit. I have been filling out my CD collection for last year and the information available there, and really no where else, has resulted in me getting the best masterings available

How many of those were done by Herr Hoffman? :)

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

LOL, no loss.  As much as I like SH forum for it's ad free settings, it lacks in digital system feedback, especially on the computer server end.  The trolls of analog only are a waste of time, there.   Although analog system has it's place, it's of no interest to me these days.  It is what it is.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

1 minute ago, diecaster said:

A few. He has done quite a few masterings but hardly a significant amount of all the masterings ever done. In general I do like his mastering choices. 

the problem with Hoffman, is that he has and never had a mastering studio, He sponges off whom ever he can, which makes the results inconsistent. Contrast that with Kevin Gray, or Bernie Grundman, with gear they are intimately familiar with in rooms they practically live in.

Well he does not accept advertising.  So I guess kicking in a few bucks is ok with me.  After all - if you don’t recall - we have been bitching about audio journalism culture here, beating up on Stereophile etc, right?  

I say say give him a break, and a dollar or two.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

2 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

the problem with Hoffman, is that he has and never had a mastering studio, He sponges off whom ever he can, which makes the results inconsistent. Contrast that with Kevin Gray, or Bernie Grundman, with gear they are intimately familiar with in rooms they practically live in.

I am not unaware of Steve's shortcomings as a human being. Here, read this for more crazy details:

http://microdynamiks.blogspot.com

I visit the forum because of the people there and the knowledge they are willing to share, not for Steve.

There was that little controversy too about him keeping having sticky fingers around master tapes.  That is somewhat shrouded in mystery about how the legal proceedings went.  The FBI raided his house over it. 

http://microdynamiks.blogspot.com/2015/08/chapter-2-steve-hoffman-tape-thief.html

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, mav52 said:

I say , who cares. Its his site.  You start your own site, fund it yourself, make your own rules,. And put up with the BS a site owner goes through, Simple

If one wants to contribute, would you say an accounting of expenses should be available? Would you want to know if they raise 5 or 10x the target? Would it concern you if the entity was being used for material profit, yet was being run by donation?

Wait a minute, is Steve Hoffman the same person as Herr Hoffman?  Steve Hoffman is also a mastering engineer or some kind of mastering amateur?  Artists and labels allow him to do remasterings and/or original masterings?  Steve Hoffman's house was actually raided by the FBI?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

10 minutes ago, 4est said:

People pan handle everyday... And don't you have something better to do then worry about that? Has this site merely become everyone's bitch fest?

Pot....Kettle

Just saying

He has a valuable (if flawed) site. I use it often. Where does the money go? That is a good question.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

3 minutes ago, rwwjr44 said:

He has a valuable (if flawed) site. I use it often. Where does the money go? That is a good question.

I don't donate to SBAF though I could seeing I have benefited.  I have followed a few links of to the Hoffman forum but because of what others have said I have wondered if it is too "moderated" to be of real use, that and I don't go down the CD mastering rabbit hole all that much.  If @The Computer Audiophile started a donation/pay requirement for us heavy users I would put in my share without knowing where the money went...vacations to Disney World with the wife and kids no doubt ?