IGNORED

Steve Hoffman Forum "Fundraising"...

10 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm not complaining at all. I could be digging ditches for a living, so I consider running CA like a privilege.

If you ever get annoyed, look at me I'm self-employed
I love to work at nothing all day

Takin' Care of Business

Bachman Turner Overdrive

We all appreciate the work you do to manage CA, Chris!  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I just spent some time at Steve Hoffman's site, posting and getting into some threads.  I normally keep to just a couple of forums, since it would take too much time to keep up - I am not self employed, after all! :D

I noticed something -  I created a thread asking a couple of questions on the art of mastering - the thread creation and each one of the posts got held on moderation before they were made public. 

Posts to threads re: purely music, got posted immediately.

I read about SH's moderation - is this an example? I have the theory that "mastering" is one of the things that could become sticky and controversial over there, so they closely watch what is said... for some other subjects, they might not care...

Just an observation from an admittedly very small sample; anyone else observed the same? I  might be wrong, of course...

v

6 minutes ago, diecaster said:

All new posters have their posts monitored...you are creating controversy where this is none. Get some posts and time under your belt and your posts will be posted without the need of moderator approval. 

Man,  too combative from the get go - no controversy intended just an observation, which  came from the fact that posts without the word "mastering" on them got posted immediately - like I said before.

If all the posts had been moderated I would not have thought anything of it - many forums do that. But because not all of them were, thought it was peculiar, which jived with the comments on this thread re: aggressive moderation.  That is all. 

v

peculiar is a good term to describe the moderation on SH, not to mention the so-called listening evaluations

I agree that posters there can often give descriptions of different releases as long as SH was NOT involved - if he was, they will always say they are great

42 minutes ago, vmartell22 said:

Man,  too combative from the get go - no controversy intended just an observation, which  came from the fact that posts without the word "mastering" on them got posted immediately - like I said before.

If all the posts had been moderated I would not have thought anything of it - many forums do that. But because not all of them were, thought it was peculiar, which jived with the comments on this thread re: aggressive moderation.  That is all. 

v

Who cares what posts get held up through the automated moderating process? Once you are known to not be a poster with negative intentions your posts will no longer be checked before being posted. 

1 hour ago, diecaster said:

Who cares what posts get held up through the automated moderating process?

Well, logically what posts get hold up might indicate patterns re: what is looked at closely or not - which might indicate the bias of the SH forum - which is well, interesting to know - important in the great scheme of things? obviously not - but well, we are discussing audio and related stuff here, so is  completely applicable in this context. 

v

1 hour ago, diecaster said:

You guys can denigrate the site if you want, but the Steve Hoffman bias is to be expected and not an issue as far as I am concerned. Hoffman has so few remasterings out there that the bias is statistically insignificant. 

That is a good point - while the name SH was known to me because of the forum, it never came to me via reading the credits on recordings I have - Do not remember seeing the name associated with the recordings I own from Analogue Productions, Classic Records, MFSL, ORG, Speaker's Corner, Music Matters, IMPEX and others... I do own one AudioFidelity SACD, RTF's "Musicmagic" -  it's good, however,  before posting tried to find info on the packaging of who remastered - could not find it - might be wrong and be there - that is the only recording I own might have been re-mastered by SH.

I do believe his "Pet Sounds" re-master has a good reputation...

v

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

it isn't about that - it is that any comment stating a preference for a different version is censored

Here's a paradox for you...

(link is: here)

Steve Hoffman's text:

"Well, I did remix the first DOORS album. Several times. Yeah, I made it more dynamic, etc., etc. but when I play it, it still bites. The original mix is the original mix. It is what it is. The master tape never existed. The LEDO tape was used to cut every stereo LP including the DCC. Once again, I think it sounds fantastic. My remix sounds exactly like what it is: Rewriting history. A pointless exercise.

7 minutes ago, vmartell22 said:

I do own one AudioFidelity SACD, RTF's "Musicmagic" -  it's good, however,  before posting tried to find info on the packaging of who remastered - could not find it - might be wrong and be there - that is the only recording I own might have been re-mastered by SH.

Found it, Kevin Gray, not SH.  Originally Mastered by Bernie Grundman

v

11 minutes ago, darkmass said:

Steve Hoffman's text:

"Well, I did remix the first DOORS album. Several times. Yeah, I made it more dynamic, etc., etc. but when I play it, it still bites. The original mix is the original mix. It is what it is. The master tape never existed. The LEDO tape was used to cut every stereo LP including the DCC. Once again, I think it sounds fantastic. My remix sounds exactly like what it is: Rewriting history. A pointless exercise.

What is he trying to say?

41 minutes ago, mansr said:

What is he trying to say?

Aren't "objectivists" supposed to be able to apply logic?

(and note to @diecaster, several albums are referenced in the thread, but the post I linked is only about the first Doors album)

Give logic a shot.  But to help you, Steve Hoffman is saying even though he remixed the first Doors album, "several times", Steve's work "bites" in comparison with the original.  (I assume you are familiar with the term "bites".)

And for @Ralf11, your thought experiment was a failure.  Steve said he preferred a version not his own, but no censoring was evident...yet you said "any comment stating a preference for a different version is censored".