IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

46 minutes ago, Indydan said:

Has anybody tried the ISO Regen plugged after the Intona Industrial?

I mean computer to Intona, then into ISO Regen, then into DAC. I already own the Intona and I am thinking of buying the ISO Regen. I am wondering if Alex or anyone else knows, or thinks that the Intona - ISO Regen combo, would be better than ISO Regen alone.

An ISO Regen replaced an Intona / Amber Regen combination. Though I didn't expect a combination of Intona + ISO to be an improvement over ISO alone, I DID give it a try. It wasn't bad, but it lost a bit of the magic that just the ISO (powered by an LPS-1) has. 

Dynamics were a bit muted, timber wasn't as authentic. Really, it makes sense I think. In our battle for the best possible signal integrity, you still want to keep your digital chain as simple as possible. Having two isolators complicates without bringing anything new to the table.

45 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

As it happens, I do have 3 phase AC (Oz 230V), with audio gear on a dedicated phase.

Explanation required - again! - as to why the 3 or 4 wires makes a difference.

To clarify above, these cables as described by Alex are an upgrade or the same ones that came with the js2 & lps1?

Hi James:

Sorry John confused you with his reference to 3-phase AC power.  (Which BTW I do not think you would have there at home--even in 230V land; Read about 3-phase power : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power)

Now with regard to DC cables (for ISO REGEN, LPS-1, etc.):

a) The LPS-1 comes stock with a 70cm long 16awg coaxial DC cable with molded 5.5mm x 2.1m plugs at both ends.  I have these custom made in China (convincing them to use 16awg was not easy).

b) Star-quad wire (4 conductors twisted together and then diagonally opposite conductors joined together at the end) results in lower inductance.  This is a good thing for a lot of applications--microphone cable, line level interconnects, and DC cables.  John started a thread about it here, and his first post has plenty of technical detail:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31554-diy-dc-power-cables/

c) For several years I have been offering with our big choke-filtered, dual-output, 5-7 amp JS-2 a quality star-quad DC cable (one is included "free" with the JS-2, and many people order a second one at the same time).  I like simple, descriptive names, so I simply refer to this cable as our "Oyaide/Belden DC cable" since it uses the original (not the stupid new short version) Oyaide plug--which is the only one that can accept the big Belden 9418 wire.  That wire is 4 conductors of #18awg plus a shield, so when paired internally it results in a hefty 15awg cable.

d) Before ordering and waiting month for my 1,000 piece order of the original style Oyaide plugs--put back into production (at a higher cost) just for UpTone--I was hoarding my supply just for the cables to offer with the JS-2 (which takes 5.5mm x 2.5mm, though we offer it with 2.5mm or 2.1mm at the device end).

e) Now that I have good stock of both plug sizes, I recently had 50 cables made with 5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs at both ends--in 50cm (20-inch) length.  I have been too darn busy with other things, but will soon put up a ordering page for our Oyaide/Belden cables.  They will be offered ONLY in the following combinations:

1.5m (5-ft.) 5.5mm x 2.5mm both ends
1.5m (5-ft.) 5.5mm x 2.5mm > 5.5mm x 2.1mm
50cm (20-inches) 5.5mm x 2.1mm both ends
The first 2 variations are $75 each, the 20-incher is $70

We will NOT be offering any other lengths, terminations, or options.  And we will not be making 'Y' cables!

Here is a photo of a few of the 50cm version:

59693cdd53946_UpToneOyaideBeldencbl.thumb.jpg.8004bc50d4eea3cd65e68c0229c8633e.jpg

Right now my e-mail box is overflowing--including with requests to manually order the USPCB A>B Adapter, (activating the AddToCart button for that must happen this weekend, it is a stupid international postage issue that I have to come to terms with).   So while I do allow for manual orders of the Oyaide/Belden cable (where you send a message and I reply with a PayPal request including postage), I'd really prefer that folks wait until I can get the web order page up.

Hope the above covers most of the questions about this.  Now back I go to wrestling my e-mail box tiger!  B|

3 hours ago, jiminlogansquare said:

The ISO REGEN was like an audio magnifying glass, letting my ears peer into subtle nooks and crannies of the presentation. At the same time, it maintained a comprehensive and cohesive gestalt presentation of the piece of music at large.

The greater level of detail enhanced the musical experience and did not turn it into an audiophile wank fest. Instead, the ISO REGEN helped place me back in my seat at Chicago's Symphony Center, listening to Muti and the CSO deliver the best interpretation of Prokofiev's piece I have ever enjoyed in a live or recorded presentation. Not just the greater resolution of fine detail, but also a more solidly founded  and more convincing soundstage than what I have experienced with the same system using the original USB REGEN.

I look forward to rehearing many other favorite recordings with the clarity and other sound improvements the ISO REGEN provides. 

Wonderful report, thanks!  

I too always use recordings (of real instruments and voices in a real space) that I know most deeply when auditioning component changes (well in case of development, typically small part or design changes).  

When the music comes to life--you know it!

Hope everyone have a lovely, music filled weekend.

--Alex C.

So I finally connected the ISO REGEN without MicroRendu. 

The sound is extremly good. Not sure if the MicroRendu even is needed ?

IR powered by an LPS-1. DCC is Singxer F1. 

Now, I'm not sure I'm comparing correctly, cause my USB interface is my HTPC where also HQPlayer is installed, and yes, I'm using HQPlayer in the chain. As I'm doing with the MicroRendu. 

Roon is installed on a SonicTransporter, and I think It would be more correct to compare USB interfaces directly from the SonicTransporter. 

As l'm now using Roon Brigde on my HTPC. 

Cause I'm thinking I more or less is not compare the IR without the MR, but more to a different endpoint, since Roon Brigde is in use. 

Still, if we keep that out of discussion, if I where to advise someone where to start with computer audio, the IR will the LPS-1 will be the starting point. With USPCB of cause. And if needed a Ghent USB JSSG cable in addition ?

In my setup I'm quite sure the DCC is the weak point now. My modified SU-1 will probably arrive in a week or two. (I've heard with SU-1 already)

So will probably my updated MicroRendu, as Jesus will have it on Monday. 

Maybe with the SU-1 in the chain I would be able to distinguish between the MicroRendu vs the ISO Regen. Just now I think it's equal or maybe even better. (I said maybe). 

All I can say for now, is that the ISO Regen is pretty close to a no brainer. So you can't go wrong buying one. 

There is a guarantee in lift in SQ that Superdad has forgotten to add in his website, though I suppose the 30 day money backguarantee is more or less equal ?

On 7/11/2017 at 4:25 PM, Kritpoon said:

How do you like the ISO Regen with the MUTEC MC-3+? Did you get the USPCB in regular orientation or the 90deg one? I am outputting my MUTEC via AES/EBU so I am not sure if there is enough clearance for the ISO Regen in regualr (Horizontal) position. Thanks.

I finally took the time to compare my setup with and without ISO Regen. The IR just adds that little sparkle to the music. I'm wondering what will bring an extra USPCB in front of the IR instead of my AQ carbon. I will have to wait till it becomes selectable in the uptone web shop. So yes the IR between the SMS-200 and Mutec MC-3 USB is a good thing. I just read on the Sonore forum (if I understood correctly) that adding a IR behind the microrendu or ultrarendu would not make much sense? Luckily this is not the case with the SMS-200. It could be however the case with the SMS-200 ultra.

I'm curious if anyone's tried combining an RUR with the ISO Regen... either upstream or down.

(I know this may seem redundant, but it seems from reading posts here, reviews on Audio Bacon, et al., one is left with the impression that devices of similar purpose can sometimes make beautiful music together...)

edit: I'm aware the Bacon review repeatedly compares the IR vs RUR and repeatedly says the IR utterly outclasses it -- but I'm curious what the audible impact of, say, putting the RUR before the IR might be. e.g.:

microRendu->RUR->ISO REGEN->DAC
(And imagine all those -> are USPCB adapters...)

42 minutes ago, afrancois said:

I just read on the Sonore forum (if I understood correctly) that adding a IR behind the microrendu or ultrarendu would not make much sense? 

I can only say that the IR behind the microRendu makes much sense! We don´t know yet if it will be the case with the UltraRendu.

Thanks for the update. Great sounding products at fair and reasonable prices with great service while also being attentative and actively involved with their customer base via the forums equals a successfully little company that seems to be growing daily. Heck I've bought the Regan - the ISO Regen - LPS-1 - JS-2 and I'm new to the brand. I got one of his nice upgraded cables with the JS-2 and it is also a very nice upgrade as well and the price just barely covers the raw materials and labor to build it. Good stuff. Good to spend your money on products with a company that you know if something goes wrong they got your back! 

Ypsilon Phaethon Integrated Amplifier w/6H30DR NOS Tubes / SR Orange Fuses > Bricasti Design M1SE MDx DAC w/Network Card / Roon Endpoint > Focal Sopra 2 Loudspeakers >   Antipodes S40 (v5.2H Board / K30 Engine) Audio Server + Antipodes S60 HSL50 Hybrid Linear Power Supply (2-Rails) w/AfterDark Silver Reference Black River Series DC Cables Uptone Audio EtherRegen Network Switch / Re-clocker > AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10MHz Master Clock Sin wave 75ohm w/Mini Circuits BLP10.7+ BNC Filter > AfterDark Black River Carbon Fiber 75ohm BNC Master Clock Cable  > AfterDark Modernize LPS x2 12V (2-Rails) > Wyred 4 Sound PS-1 LPS (4) Rails  > Solid Tech ROS Reference Model 4 Audio Rack System  > SRA Ohio Class XLIsolation Platform Synergistic Research Tranquility Basik Isolation Platform Active w/MIG 2.0 Footers and Silver Tuning Bullet  > Solid Tech Small TT Isolation Platform (3-Shleves) Tara Labe: The One Power Cord 2.0M (5-Cables> Audience AU24se HP 1.0M AC Power Cable  > Nordost Frey 2 Speaker Cables 4.0M Spades > Nordost Frey 2 XLR Interconnects 1.0M > High Fidelity Cables Reveal XLR Interconnects 5.0MAudioquest Vodka and Cardas Clear Ethernet RJ/E Cables  > Synergistic Research Atmosphere Acoustic Field Generator Tower Mini w/ATM Red Tuning Module  > (15Synergistic Research HFT’s (6PS Audio Noise Harvesters;
 DESKTOP 2nd SystemDali Menuet Loudspeakers (Gloss Black) > Rega Brio Integrated Amplifier (2021)Denafrips Aries II R2R DAC > Singxer SU-2 USB Digital Interface > Antipodes S40/S60 Audio Server / Roon Core (Networked from Main system) >Apple iMac Retina 5k 27-Inch (2021) Roon Remote / USB AudioKanto S6 Desktop Speaker Stands > Cardas Neutral Reference Speaker Cables 1.0M  Spades > Darwin Ascension Plus Silver Interconnects RCA 0.3M > Tara Labs The One AC Power Cord (2) > Zu Event MKI AC Power Cable 1.0M > Cardas Clear USB Cable 1.0M > Curious Cables USB Regen LinkBlack Cat Silver Star BNC S/PDIF Cable 1.0M > Synergistic Research Tesla QLS-6 Power Strip 

~ Fsmithjack            
 My Website  https://ctronicmusic.com/ 

Ypsilon  Bricasti  / Focal  Uptone Nordost / AfterDark / Solid Tech  

46AC9095-7EB4-4698-82FE-FC5E9E837893.png

On 7/14/2017 at 4:41 PM, MisterRogers said:

An ISO Regen replaced an Intona / Amber Regen combination. Though I didn't expect a combination of Intona + ISO to be an improvement over ISO alone, I DID give it a try. It wasn't bad, but it lost a bit of the magic that just the ISO (powered by an LPS-1) has. 

Dynamics were a bit muted, timber wasn't as authentic. Really, it makes sense I think. In our battle for the best possible signal integrity, you still want to keep your digital chain as simple as possible. Having two isolators complicates without bringing anything new to the table.

Thanks for the information. I can't say I am surprised; too much filtering and manipulation of the signal, cannot be a good thing. Keep it simple as you say. 

So far I am loving my ISO Regen + LPS-1 combo. The overall smoothness and extra information I can now listen is amazing. And that is coming from a regular Regen I had before. The upgrade was well worth it.

What I have found is that with the ISO Regen my Win10 PC is having more issues to detect my Calyx DAC when first playing. When it does not detect I have to disconnect and reconnect the DC power cable into the ISO Regen and then Windows finds the DAC. After that it plays for hours without issues. Small bother but still the sound quality alone is well worth it.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

9 minutes ago, mancebito said:

Hey, guys... I´m wondering about ordering the ISO Regen... I already have a Sbooster Vbus2 Isolator... Have any of you tried adding the Vbus2 in the chain (before or after the ISO-R?

It wouldn't make sense to place it before the ISO Regen, as the ISO Regen draws power from the USB connection.

As to after, the USPCB adapter that comes with the ISO Regen has a switch to disconnect the Vbus power should you want to do so.  If you use the USPCB, the Sbooster Vbus2 Isolator wouldn't be needed after either.

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

On 7/17/2017 at 2:30 PM, Matias said:

So far I am loving my ISO Regen + LPS-1 combo. The overall smoothness and extra information I can now listen is amazing. And that is coming from a regular Regen I had before. The upgrade was well worth it.

What I have found is that with the ISO Regen my Win10 PC is having more issues to detect my Calyx DAC when first playing. When it does not detect I have to disconnect and reconnect the DC power cable into the ISO Regen and then Windows finds the DAC. After that it plays for hours without issues. Small bother but still the sound quality alone is well worth it.

I'm having a similar issue with my SMS-200 Mutec MC3+ USB. The power to the IR can only be connected when the SMS-200 is completely powered up.

On 7/17/2017 at 7:30 AM, Matias said:

I've had a similar issue using an Auralic Aries with Lampizator DAC - same solution. 

5 hours ago, afrancois said:

I'm having a similar issue with my SMS-200 Mutec MC3+ USB. The power to the IR can only be connected when the SMS-200 is completely powered up.

This is pretty common for Linux-based devices.  I think they are not good at "seeing" the DAC through the hub (REGEN) on start up. (John may have a better, more accurate explanation about this--I am not a Linux guy.) 

The ISO REGEN actually adheres closer to USB power-on VBUS specs than the USB REGEN did (the USB REGEN supplies 5VBUS power all the time regardless of state and a lot of DACs like that--but it is wrong).

On 7/11/2017 at 10:52 AM, Guidof said:

I have Alex's DC cable between LPS-1 and ISO REGEN. It should not make any difference, but I think it does. An improvement in clarity. But maybe I just drank the Koolaid . . .;-)

On 7/10/2017 at 7:14 PM, scottmac62 said:

I am really curious if anyone has had a chance to try Alex's try-quad DC cable or any other upgraded DC cable.  If so, please do share.

This is audioneurvosa at its finest, and my ears suffer from it. The Regen was the first digital thing to open up my system's digital sound and it has just cascaded from there. As I've posted before, I do hear a difference in my system and it's in how the bass is either rounded/smoothed or fast/punchy/defined, how smoothly it's integrated with lower mids or not, whether the bass sound is forward or lays "back," whether the bass is distinct enough to stand out from the mix or not, and how extended or deep the bass goes. And somewhat similar traits for treble, but my bass quality is the most telling in my experience. (Same test tracks, all relative to different pieces of equipment, all burned in over a week, and generally the same time of evening for listening.) Not all changes have been for the better, and cables especially can be hit or miss (including AC power cables).

That said, I hear a worthwhile improvement in my silver DC cable from Dave at Zenwave Audio Cables, purchased on the advice of someone else who posted about his improvement with his DC cable from Zenwave here on CA. Simply mo' bettah bass, all around. I later added a silver blend interconnect and while this takes things well into the diminishing financial returns range of spending, I am simply all smiles when I listen. It's close to as optimized as I can get this gear to get (and I've heard more/less of this/that with different gear so I know most of what I've got/missing). 

I've generally tried to protect my hearing with earplugs over the years, but now I carry them everywhere and use them as often as I can so I can come home and be Mr. Maxell... (Now to try an ISO Regen!)

Maxell.png

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

I have listened to ISO REGEN + LPS-1 for a week by now, think I can give some impression. 

For those who is wondering whether it is necessary to add another isolator like Intona before ISO REGEN, my answer is NO. I'v tried it back and forth with and without Intona before the ISO. In general, no night and day big difference. Micro detail and dynamic is a bit suppressed with adding Intona, also bass is less bouncy with addition of Intona. In conclusion, I'm going to sell the Intona on ebay soon.

I also compare the USPCB A>B Adapter to a short Curious regen link I have, I prefer the adapter which gives more clarity, resolution also seems to be enhanced (Sharp in a good way). In curious cable's case, it just give a much warmer and a little less detailed sound. However, I will still keep the Curious cables for its warm tone. 

ISO REGEN + LPS-1 really simplifies the digital chain, I used to use Intona + old amber regen with several Curious cables, now the ISO alone outperforms my previous combo a lot. The obvious improvement from the first day I used it is the cohesive and smoother mid and bass. Later on I also begin to appreciate its much better transient, separation, detail and dynamic. 

I also recommended ISO regen to some of my friends, they are all very happy with the result. :) 

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

53 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

I have listened to ISO REGEN + LPS-1 for a week by now, think I can give some impression. 

For those who is wondering whether it is necessary to add another isolator like Intona before ISO REGEN, my answer is NO. I'v tried it back and forth with and without Intona before the ISO. In general, no night and day big difference. Micro detail and dynamic is a bit suppressed with adding Intona, also bass is less bouncy with addition of Intona. In conclusion, I'm going to sell the Intona on ebay soon.

I also compare the USPCB A>B Adapter to a short Curious regen link I have, I prefer the adapter which gives more clarity, resolution also seems to be enhanced (Sharp in a good way). In curious cable's case, it just give a much warmer and a little less detailed sound. However, I will still keep the Curious cables for its warm tone. 

ISO REGEN + LPS-1 really simplifies the digital chain, I used to use Intona + old amber regen with several Curious cables, now the ISO alone outperforms my previous combo a lot. The obvious improvement from the first day I used it is the cohesive and smoother mid and bass. Later on I also begin to appreciate its much better transient, separation, detail and dynamic. 

I also recommended ISO regen to some of my friends, they are all very happy with the result. :) 

Do you still have the amber Regen?  I'd be interested in how it sounds trying the amber Regen and ISO Regen together without the Intona. 

3 minutes ago, tims said:

Do you still have the amber Regen?  I'd be interested in how it sounds trying the amber Regen and ISO Regen together without the Intona. 

IMO, that should be the #1 question/answer with all these ISO Regen listening impressions!B|

32 minutes ago, tims said:

Well, I only have one LPS-1. So I can only power one regen. I will try a MW powered amber regen before ISO regen later and get back to you.

But I honestly think this combo is not recommended. 

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature