IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

On 6/19/2017 at 5:23 AM, Em2016 said:

Hey John @JohnSwenson

Could you kindly elaborate more on this, as in examples of configurations that may not need the XLR pin 1 connection?

Would an example be where you have both the DAC and the Amp, both with a fully balanced topology? And in this case the external wire isn't needed? Or is there still benefit.

Appreciated in advance, Sean

If you have an input on the preamp or amp that has a transformer, you do not need pin1 tied to anything, the differential lines form a "current loop" which does not need any external voltage reference to work. Many electronic differential input circuits DO need the pin1 connection.

John S.

12 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

If you have an input on the preamp or amp that has a transformer, you do not need pin1 tied to anything, the differential lines form a "current loop" which does not need any external voltage reference to work. Many electronic differential input circuits DO need the pin1 connection.

John S.

Thanks John. In the case that pin 1 does not need to be tied to anything, there's no harm in using the external wire and tiyng it to Pin 1 anyway, is there? in case I want to use that same XLR cable for a future system.

Cheers again

In XLR balanced analog interconnect systems:

a] No balanced input circuit needs a pin #1 connection. The pin #1 is the shield and is connected to the chassis (if connected) it's to reduce noise and interference.

b] Phantom powered microphones do require pin #1 be connected at both ends.

c] Battery powered outputs should have the shield connected at both ends.

d] If the shield is only connected at one end, it should be the output circuit end.

e] Rather than not connecting the shield at the input end, a hybrid connection should be used, The hybrid being a small high frequency capacitor.

f] It is better to connect the shield at both ends, unless there is a strong reason for not doing so. Like going from building to building.

Guys - help!

Did someone here (was it you, @Superdad?) describe a step-by-step here on how to make a serial cable using the Canare 4S6 star-quad cables and the screw terminals?

If so, please point me to it, as my searches are coming up empty.

I'm doing a bakeoff next week and find myself in need of a way to connect 2 LPS-1s to generate a 12V DC input.

15 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Did someone here (was it you, @Superdad?) describe a step-by-step here on how to make a serial cable using the Canare 4S6 star-quad cables and the screw terminals?

If so, please point me to it, as my searches are coming up empty.

I'm doing a bakeoff next week and find myself in need of a way to connect 2 LPS-1s to generate a 12V DC input.

Here you go.  Substitute pairings of star-quad is fine.  Each screw terminal gets only one (pair) of conductors.  The jumper in the middle is from "+" of one plug to "-" of the other.  Imagine the LPS-1s as a pair of batteries you are putting in series.  You take minus from one end of the stack and plus from the other.  Remember, you are not paralleling them!  And oh yeah, set one to 7V and the other to 5V to get your desired 12V.

594d75c28cf53_Seriescablewithscrewterminalplugs.thumb.jpg.91b44394bb30c9d3aaca03f8b6535ab8.jpg

8 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Here you go.  Substitute pairings of star-quad is fine.  Each screw terminal gets only one (pair) of conductors.  The jumper in the middle is from "+" of one plug to "-" of the other.  Imagine the LPS-1s as a pair of batteries you are putting in series.  You take minus from one end of the stack and plus from the other.  Remember, you are not paralleling them!  And oh yeah, set one to 7V and the other to 5V to get your desired 12V.

594d75c28cf53_Seriescablewithscrewterminalplugs.thumb.jpg.91b44394bb30c9d3aaca03f8b6535ab8.jpg

Duh, of course. I was overcomplicating things in my head.

So the "jumper" in the middle, connecting + to - across plugs: I would just use a section of cable and use just one of the 2 pairs of star-quad, leaving the other pair unattached.

Now a follow-up question, for extra credit - or, for some, raving insanity!

What if I wanted the aggregate 12V output AND also the 7V output from one of the LPS-1's? What then, sensei?

19 hours ago, Superdad said:

If using the cable above and 2 LPS-1's to get 12V, what would the current / amperage of the 12V? 

Also, is the pictured cable using Canare 4S6 cable? It looks like the single plug end is molded? Are you using a pre-terminated Y cable and then just cutting off the pre-terminated plugs on the split end, and then using another piece of 2 wire cable as the jumper to create your own star quad cable without actually using any Canare 4S6 cable at all? 

If yes to above, could you also do the same but with using only one screw terminal plug on the other end?  So 2 wires from the pre-terminated y cable going into + and - on the screw terminal for a total of 4 wires into the screw plug? (2 into + and 2 into - ) into each end of the screw terminal plug. The 4 wires going into the screw plug would then be one pair of wires going  + FROM - as a jumper. The second pair going into + AND - from the pre-terminated y plug)? 

If this would work, it seems like a cheaper solution to a DYI star quad than ordering one from Ghent and also would not require any soldering! 

On 6/23/2017 at 3:10 PM, Superdad said:

So Alex, is this a better configuration than simply soldering the second run of star quad at the Y part?  If so, why?

Thanks!

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

8 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Just out of curiosity I am going to give this a try.  Any idea when it will be available?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

5 hours ago, Forehaven said:

So Alex, is this a better configuration than simply soldering the second run of star quad at the Y part?  If so, why?

Thanks!

I think a couple of you are mistaking what I posted (a pic of and procedure for) as a 'Y' cable for powering 2 devices from one LPS-1.  That is NOT what it is.  It is a cable for wiring two LPS-1s in series to get a higher voltage (sum of whatever you have the 2 units set to, so combos could be 10V, 10.3V, 12V, 14V).

What I pictured was just a quick'n'dirty example.  Folks can get fancier, but that does not change the simple basics of how one wires it for series connection.

4 hours ago, tboooe said:

Just out of curiosity I am going to give this a try.  Any idea when it will be available?

I think during this week, though there might be some Belden cable also. 

As as far as I understand Belden has only one cat 6a with shield and bounded pair. However they have a nice 1303 cable, that may be more suitable. But it does not have Belden special bounded pair. 

I have not seen any Belden Cat 7. 

Also Belden has some nice metal plugs as well. 

Belden has an office in Shanghai were also Ghent is located. 

I hope he will find a solution with them. 

I suppose people would like to avoid the plug being connected to the shield. 

But have a fully shielded cable withe the JSSG twist. 

Though I would expect both options could be available.