IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

Balanced Interconnects and JSSG - another data point from today's experiment....

https://www.stereophile.com/cables/407jps/index.html

I found the cable shield overview from this 2007 cable review fascinating so years ago I actually constructed AC, I/C and Speaker cables using plastic washer drain hose for the I/Cs and shop vac hose for AC and speaker, filled them with copper shot and drained the tonnage of shield to source ground[s].

No difference. Having experimented with JSSG, it appears that I may now know why.

But the review does raise the question pertaining to the degree that shield thickness makes a difference done with JSSG.

The Experiment:

I had some Analysis Plus balanced cable laying around that uses a thick copper shield that doubles as the ground wired to pin 1 on both ends.

So I disconnected the shield from Pin 1 and added an insulated wire to reconnect to pin 1 [ground] at each end and a second wire to connect the ends of the now isolated shield and ran them outside of the cable [shield]  [I had no choice for the new pin 1 ground wire].

These make-shift 6' I/Cs were run between the preamp and mono power amps which are powered off separate dedicated AC lines.

There was a clear and distinct difference to the treble which snapped into a more precise focus, like upgrading a clock source.

The cable manufacturer in the review offers that shields act like antennas picking up airborne noise and re radiate that noise back into the signal conductors. I wouldn't know but is seems to make sense.

My system is currently interconnected  using Krell's CAST current mode signal transfer with balanced solid silver cable with uninsulated wire ground touching the foil shield which for me sounded better than any of the balanced XLR interconnects I have tried.

I don't know the criticality of running the pin 1 ground wire within the shield but now onto finding a quality balanced cable with a third insulated conductor within the shield...

• 4 weeks later...

My latest modification to the DIY DC starquad cable was to cover the entire cable with heat shrink tube.  My hypothesis behind this is that the heat shrink tubing will further minimize changes in wire geometry when bending the cable and further reduce any vibrations of the cable itself.

Initial impressions with this latest change is little more clarity and detail.  For a few dollars worth of heat shrink tubing, I would say worth the effort.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, JBL said:

If you are using the Oyaide 2.1 plugs, I found putting the wires in parallel for the center(+) conductor worked best.  For the negative side I soldered one wire onto each of the tabs.  

Thanks! Have you tried your starquad design with and without JSSG shielding?

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of making a Starquad DC Y-split cable. 18awg Neotech is pretty stiff and wonder if my starquad twist is sufficient? 

At the beginning of both ends the twist seems tighter and neater, maybe hard to see in the photo. I'd rather wait for your comments before starting the other half. . hehe

ED3336DF-A33D-44DC-9994-252258152AB1.jpeg

435F92F3-504A-4F49-B58F-59FAC0AA6166.thumb.jpeg.8635753c7ff1345566c644858cb5d5a2.jpeg40BD17B8-2C55-4A2A-B14A-2377EE4628F2.thumb.jpeg.afe636b55a2a4232f8039a363637e050.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 6/28/2022 at 1:50 PM, JBL said:

Made several starquad DC power cords for my Farad Super3 LPS's.  Used VH Audio 18awg solid core OCC wire with Airlok, Oyaide 2.5mm plugs, OEM Japanese GX16-4 plugs, and Cardas Eutectic solder. 

Where did you get the Japanese GX16-4 connectors? I have the Oyiades and the VH Audio V-Quad wire, but trying to find higher quality GX16-4 is very difficult. Aliexpress has some that are supposedly copper pin and gold plated, but of course their claims regarding material composition cannot be trusted.

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2023 at 3:54 PM, agisthos said:

Where did you get the Japanese GX16-4 connectors? I have the Oyiades and the VH Audio V-Quad wire, but trying to find higher quality GX16-4 is very difficult. Aliexpress has some that are supposedly copper pin and gold plated, but of course their claims regarding material composition cannot be trusted.

Look at these: https://www.tme.eu/gb/katalog/?s_field=accuracy&s_order=desc&search=weipu sf1210

WEIPU series SF12

Roon Rock (NUC10I5FNHN2)>Neotech NEET-1008 Ethernet Silver>UpTone EtherREGEN>Supra CAT8>UpTone EtherREGEN>Audioquest cat 700 Carbon>Melco N100>USB DIY>Rockna Wavelight>Mamalos Cables The Elite XLR Nanotubes>Mark Levinson No 380S>RAMM Elite8 XLR>ATC SMC 40A. Power Supply: Ferrum Hypsos, HDplex 300W.

• 4 months later...