IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

8 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Would'nt 18AWG be enough for 2x20AWG? ?

Actually it's 4X20AWG, so effectively 17AWG.  Ahh, I see you would bear out each area so effectively 18 to 19 AWG.  Yeah it probably would work, don't know if I would want to do that.  Lose my star quad configuration.  But then any Y cable (which I would not do) would be messy with the star quad.

http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=63

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

2 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Actually it's 4X20AWG, so effectively 17AWG.  Ahh, I see you would bear out each area so effectively 18 to 19 AWG.  Yeah it probably would work, don't know if I would want to do that.  Lose my star quad configuration.  But then any Y cable (which I would not do) would be messy with the star quad.

http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=63

I intend to find out! ? I just ordered a 10-pack of the same one in another colour (transparent/black). I will report back if they work as intended.

10pcs 2 Pin dc/ac 300v 10a 18-22awg no welding no screws Quick Connector cable clamp Terminal Block 2 Way Easy Fit for led strip
http://s.aliexpress.com/ErmeIzIB

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

I intend to find out! ? I just ordered a 10-pack of the same one in another colour (transparent/black). I will report back if they work as intended.

When you get them, check out the way they 'connect' to the wires. It looks like they may have notched blades which may cut into your wire, connecting, but perhaps damaging the wire mechanically, and maybe not the best connection, all told.

Let us know what you think...

17 hours ago, tboooe said:

It's a GX16-2 connector.  I just made a DC cable using this and the Canare 4s8 cable.  It's pretty easy.

IMG_20170519_101720.jpg

Thanks - I think you're correct, perhaps it's time for me to buy a soldering iron and  associated gear and start practicing/ learning how to solder. I can't tell you how many times I've actually said to myself "if only I could solder.....," over the years!!

4 hours ago, agladstone said:

Thanks - I think you're correct, perhaps it's time for me to buy a soldering iron and  associated gear and start practicing/ learning how to solder. I can't tell you how many times I've actually said to myself "if only I could solder.....," over the years!!

Just do it.  When I was a kid, probably 7or 8, I got a soldering iron for my birthday.  And some radio shack kit for making a radio.  Now at 55, I still own the iron and used it yesterday to make my own DC cable.  It's a cheap iron, but did the job of tinning and fusing the quad star ends just fine.  Can't believe I've schlepped it with me all these years.  Anyway, soldering isn't all that hard if you're  patient and let the wire get good and hot.

22 minutes ago, sockpit said:

Just do it.  When I was a kid, probably 7or 8, I got a soldering iron for my birthday.  And some radio shack kit for making a radio.  Now at 55, I still own the iron and used it yesterday to make my own DC cable.  It's a cheap iron, but did the job of tinning and fusing the quad star ends just fine.  Can't believe I've schlepped it with me all these years.  Anyway, soldering isn't all that hard if you're  patient and let the wire get good and hot.

I still remember the sound of my 8th grade teacher's voice when I'm tinning and drawing solder up.

If I can do it, you can too. of course, everything was easier when lead was around. I also wonder how much higher my IQ would be?

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

6 hours ago, Daudio said:

When you get them, check out the way they 'connect' to the wires. It looks like they may have notched blades which may cut into your wire, connecting, but perhaps damaging the wire mechanically, and maybe not the best connection, all told.

Let us know what you think...

I will report back with some close-up pictures when they arrive (was already sent out today). Agree that it looks like they have gold plated copper blades similar to the tool-free clip-on RJ45 plugs.

🎛️  Audio System  

2 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I will report back with some close-up pictures when they arrive (was already sent out today). Agree that it looks like they have gold plated copper blades similar to the tool-free clip-on RJ45 plugs.

Looking forward to your report!

Ghent's Y-cable is north of $60, which is a bit much IMO. I would love to find a DIY option that doesn't require soldering.

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Ghent's Y-cable is north of $60, which is a bit much IMO. I would love to find a DIY option that doesn't require soldering.

I hope they'll work well. I would also be thrilled to find a simple solder free solution for a split DC cable. In theory you can also just add a leg if you'll need it with this clip. ?

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, greenleo said:

Please forgive my silly questions.  How to specify the connectors of the DC cable?  Outer diameter, inner diameter or both?  Do I need specify the length?

What is the use of the  DC cable ? Between ?

13 hours ago, watercourse said:

I still remember the sound of my 8th grade teacher's voice when I'm tinning and drawing solder up.

If I can do it, you can too. of course, everything was easier when lead was around. I also wonder how much higher my IQ would be?

I held on to a big roll of lead solder, too ;)

15 hours ago, watercourse said:

Lead is still around, you can still buy new rolls of WBT-0800, or Cardas Quad Eutectic lead bearing solder. It's fantastic stuff and far easier to work with than any lead-free variant I've ever tried.

I'm sure your IQ was unaffected unless you were licking your fingers while soldering, as vaporization of lead occurs only at a super high temperature. The fumes are just flux burning off, not that you'd want to breath very much of that either though (you definitely don't).

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

13 hours ago, austinpop said:

You can, but the big question, do you want to risk possible lower quality ?

I have just ordered a Y cable myself, but it's for connecting two LPS-1 in series. 

(My third order).

If success powering my SonicTransporter i5 with 2 LPS-1, I will need to order more LPS-1 PS from Uptone Audio. ?

14 hours ago, austinpop said:

The price is actually quite reasonable when you consider that the price for each oyaide connector on eBay is $20.  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

My next special cable may be a USB with split PS in order to feed my Singxer F1 with clean USB power. 

Of cause even better would be if Alex could make a version 2 of the USPCB with input for external Vbus. ?

But maybe I've missed part of the the point with the ISO REGEN powered by a LPS-1, as I then will have the LPS-1 super clean power available as Vbus ? Will I ?

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

My next special cable may be a USB with split PS in order to feed my Singxer F1 with clean USB power. 

Of cause even better would be if Alex could make a version 2 of the USPCB with input for external Vbus. ?

But maybe I've missed part of the the point with the ISO REGEN powered by a LPS-1, as I then will have the LPS-1 super clean power available as Vbus ? Will I ?

Correct, there is no need for a VBUS injector after an LPS-1 driven ISO REGEN.

John S.

6 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Both use 2.1 mm plugs. 

Did that answer your question?

Yes, R1200CL.  Thank you.  

Do I need to specify the length of the connection as well.  I find the Oyaide 90 degree plug a little shorter than that of the straight one.  Will loose connection occur?