IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

19 hours ago, Superdad said:

I think a couple of you are mistaking what I posted (a pic of and procedure for) as a 'Y' cable for powering 2 devices from one LPS-1.  That is NOT what it is.  It is a cable for wiring two LPS-1s in series to get a higher voltage (sum of whatever you have the 2 units set to, so combos could be 10V, 10.3V, 12V, 14V).

What I pictured was just a quick'n'dirty example.  Folks can get fancier, but that does not change the simple basics of how one wires it for series connection.

Doh!  lol  Thanks for the clarification Alex!

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

I ordered a custom cable from Ghent with the Oyaide 5.5/2.1 DC plug. It arrived today and I cannot get it to fit the MMK plug.  I measured with Ghent plug and it's 5.47mm.  Anyone have any issues plugging in Oyaide connector into your MMK DC barrel?

vhOOrA.jpg

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

1 hour ago, No Disc said:

I ordered a custom cable from Ghent with the Oyaide 5.5/2.1 DC plug. It arrived today and I cannot get it to fit the MMK plug.  I measured with Ghent plug and it's 5.47mm.  Anyone have any issues plugging in Oyaide connector into your MMK DC barrel?

The Oyaide 5.5/2.1 DC plug is the incorrect plug. :(  The problem isn't the outside diameter, but the inside diameter.   From Uptone website:  The 12V input connector to the MMK is a high quality 5.5mm x 2.5mm DC barrel jack (center pin positive). 

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

No, i'm good, I will just use it for the LPS-1 I have on order. I'll just order the correct one 2.5 from Ghent for the MMK.  Its an XLR to DC plug 70cm for my HD plex.

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

On 28.5.2017 at 9:12 AM, Superdad said:

Oh no.  If we do one it will be FAR more that just a good clock and good regs!  

I know I posted the broad stokes of the recipe before, but to recap:

Digital isolators, high signal integrity Ethernet controllers, use of special modes of chip interface, and an fiber cage were all part of the design sketch John and I worked on when he visited my place for a few days shortly before his move.  We even picked out specific Ethernet controller chips.  We also decided it would have two DC power jacks to separately power the ultra-isolated port (though use of separate power supplies would be optional and accomplished with the 3rd pin insertion switch that most DC jacks have).

Sorry though, don't hold your breath for this one this year.  We prioritized more broadly popular products ahead of the ultimate audiophile EN switch.

Hurry up ?

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/06/jcat-announces-worlds-first-audiophile-network-interface/

(Overpriced as well)....

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Cool. I love the part where it says that it has no switching power supplies. I am surprised that it does not say "gluten free" also!

I am very open to innovation in unexpected areas but this is a load of marketing poo. Perhaps it will work better than a good off the shelf Intel card but I doubt that Superdad has much to be concerned about :-) 

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 hour ago, Speedskater said:

What specs are good.

For a power cable:

a] Large total conductor cross-section area.

b] High total capacitance.

For a long XLR balanced analog interconnect cable.

a] Symmetry in construction.

b] Lower total capacitance is better.

c] Small total cross-section area is OK or better.

For the analog interconnect: Why is (c) true?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

c] Small total cross-section area is OK or better.

It's OK because a large wire is not needed for an interconnect. Electrically the wires could be much smaller but then they could be fragile and break,

It's better because smaller wires mean a smaller, lighter less expensive cable.

Smaller wires have lower total capacitance which can be good when connected to some output stages.

/& what might be where "long" starts?

/& what rules apply to 'unbalanced' interconnects?

Just to continue with clarifying quesions ...!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Hi @JohnSwenson

Another question, when doing the star quad configuration with the Belden 1804A (or any star quad) for making balanced XLR interconnects, how important is it to maintain the natural twisting direction of the cable, for the half-inch at the ends, that's stripped for soldering to the XLR pins?

I saw an earlier post that mentioned it's best to twist left (or keep the natural twist direction of the cable I guess).

If we're talking about the last half inch at the ends of each cable, how critical is the twist direction of these half-inch ends?

Are the benefits of the star quad geometry un-done if you twist in the opposite direction to the natural twist direction? If so, why?

Cheers

/& what might be where "long" starts?

For unbalanced interconnects, it's well past 3 meters (10 feet).

Maybe a little longer if both components are plugged into the same AC wall outlet.

For balanced interconnects, it's as you approach 100 meters (300 feet).

/& what rules apply to 'unbalanced' interconnects?

Good long unbalanced interconnects are coax cables with a heavy braided shield.

Where heavy is the equivalent of about 14AWG or 2mm sq.

On 6/20/2017 at 3:33 PM, R1200CL said:

Got my second JSSG USB cable today. To be used with Explorer 2 for MAQ ?

IMG_1785.JPG

IMG_1786.JPG

IMG_1787.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG

IMG_1790.JPG

IMG_1791.JPG

How does the USB JSSG cable sound? Also, what have you been using before / what are you comparing the sound to? 

I just ordered a custom USB JSSG Y split cable from Ghent today (one cable power only and one data only both USB A going into one USB B)! 

Also, any thoughts on if the Data only USB A and Power only USB A each need to be wired / connected differently (so I can inform Ghent on how to wire the USB A connectors) 

Thanks!

With John understandably and rightfully more preoccupied with building his new house, appreciate if the regular contributing tech guru's can help with this below query :$

When doing the star quad configuration (e.g. for making balanced XLR interconnects) how important is it to maintain the natural twisting direction of the cable, for the half-inch at the ends that connect the XLR pins?

In other words, are the benefits of the star quad geometry un-done if you twist in the opposite direction to the natural twist direction of the conductors in the cable, in this final half-inch of each end of the cable? If so, why? @Superdad @Daudio @Speedskater

3 hours ago, Em2016 said:

With John understandably and rightfully more preoccupied with building his new house, appreciate if the regular contributing tech guru's can help with this below query :$

When doing the star quad configuration (e.g. for making balanced XLR interconnects) how important is it to maintain the natural twisting direction of the cable, for the half-inch at the ends that connect the XLR pins?

In other words, are the benefits of the star quad geometry un-done if you twist in the opposite direction to the natural twist direction of the conductors in the cable, in this final half-inch of each end of the cable? If so, why? @Superdad @Daudio @Speedskater

The twist of the final bit of cable is not important for audio cables.For very high speed data cables, yes it is important, but they do not use XLR connectors. So don't worry about it.

John S.

I had some RCA's made with the Belden 1804A with your external wire mod.

Sounds brilliant !!

I got these delivered yesterday. The Canare 4S6 and Valab silver star RCAs.

IMG_6121.thumb.JPG.1bbdb34a125c3c83217fcf071052614a.JPG

They will serve as a phono cable for my Ariston RD40 turntable. I will sacrifice my Entreq Eartha Cupper grounding cable and use it as a ground wire.

26180200-origpic-a800d5.thumb.jpg.6c3bc4c258394a5de00312708411d5f9.jpg

🎛️  Audio System  

13 hours ago, Em2016 said:

In harsh interference environments it can be important. Jim Brown the pro audio EMI/RFI expert has done some testing.  But most of us don't live at radio transmitters, so don't worry about it.

On 30.6.2017 at 9:10 PM, agladstone said:

How does the USB JSSG cable sound? Also, what have you been using before / what are you comparing the sound to? 

I just ordered a custom USB JSSG Y split cable from Ghent today (one cable power only and one data only both USB A going into one USB B)! 

Also, any thoughts on if the Data only USB A and Power only USB A each need to be wired / connected differently (so I can inform Ghent on how to wire the USB A connectors) 

Thanks!

I'm working around the clock for some weeks now, so no time to listen. 

I did excange one USB cable withe Audioquest Coffee. The one from my MicroRendu. I think equal or better ?

My other USB has not been connected yet to my Explorer2, as I would like to do some listening test. It replaces an ordinary cable. 

I will alos also put my ISO Regen in the chain. To bad no USPCB with the small USB B plug yet. Maybe not a marked for it ?

I'm sure Ghent knows how to wire a USB cable ?

But are you planning to have a JSSG on both signal and the Vbus ?

Is the Vbus with Oyaide plugs ?

Is the Vbus a separate Canare star quad ?

Or maybe the signal is star quad as well ?

16 hours ago, Cornan said:

I got these delivered yesterday. The Canare 4S6 and Valab silver star RCAs.

IMG_6121.thumb.JPG.1bbdb34a125c3c83217fcf071052614a.JPG

They will serve as a phono cable for my Ariston RD40 turntable. I will sacrifice my Entreq Eartha Cupper grounding cable and use it as a ground wire.

26180200-origpic-a800d5.thumb.jpg.6c3bc4c258394a5de00312708411d5f9.jpg

Well, yes, that's a thought - there are 'improved' phono cables out there for my SME 20/2A (V arm), but they are hellishly expensive.

Are such possible with this new cabling approach?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.