IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

FYI - I just ordered a 0.7 Meter / 2.3 feet 2.1 to 2.1 quad cable from Ghent in addition to my other cables I ordered from him, just in case I decide to buy an LPS-1 / ISO Regen combo. 

If I don't order this combo and I stay with my W4S RUR, I will have no need for this cable. 

Thus, if anyone wants to buy it from me (I'm in the USA) let me know (I'll update when I know if I need it or not). 

1 minute ago, R1200CL said:

Need some help here. 

Ghent is is afraid I will destroy my LPS-1 is serial connect 2 LPS-1. 

I'm not sure if I catch his point, so if someone can comment on the questions raised below:

111.jpg

Not sure I understand what you are trying to do.  Are you trying to use a single LPS-1 to output two different voltages?  If so, you need to add a voltage regulator.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

9 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Not sure I understand what you are trying to do.  Are you trying to use a single LPS-1 to output two different voltages?  If so, you need to add a voltage regulator.

No of cause not. I'm serial connect 2 LPS-1. In order to get a higher voltage. 

This has been confirmed several times is ok to do, but since these specific questions is asked, I thaught it would be good to have a second confirmation. 

2 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

ahhh...in that case just follow the instructions that Alex has provided.  I believe its on the website.  I figure if Alex supports the idea of connecting 2 LSP-1 together in series then it should be ok to do.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

4 minutes ago, tboooe said:

ahhh...in that case just follow the instructions that Alex has provided.  I believe its on the website.

Yes, but I suppose that does not answer the questions raised. 

And so far I don't think I've ever seen a post where serial LPS-1 is done. 

"The adventurous could even purchase two units and hook their outputs up in series, perhaps with one set to 7V and the other to 5V to obtain 12V; An even more interesting application would be for a DIY hobbyist to use two units harnessed together and center-tapped to produce a pure and isolated bi-polar (+ & -) supply for audio circuit use.]"

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

This has been confirmed several times is ok to do, but since these specific questions is asked, I thaught it would be good to have a second confirmation. 

Yes, hooking two LPS-1 units in series to increase the voltage works great. The outputs are completely isolated from each other so putting them is series works fine. I HAVE done this many times and it dies work.

John S.

5 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Yes, hooking two LPS-1 units in series to increase the voltage works great. The outputs are completely isolated from each other so putting them is series works fine. I HAVE done this many times and it dies work.

John S.

Not only that, but if one uses the screw terminal barrel plugs and pays careful attention, it is even possible to put a pair in series and get 3 voltages for 3 very low power devices.  Example: One LPS-1 set to 7V, the other to 5V--wired in series gets you 12V.  But you can still tap the 7V and 5V at each output.  I have done this.

The only thing that is not possible is paralleling two LPS-1s for double the current.  The output voltages (under a specific load) have to match within about 10-15mV of one another, otherwise most of the load goes to one supply and puts that one into overcurrent mode when trying to power say a 2A load.

I don't offer a matching service for this (takes too much time), but I did do a pair for @gstew.  I think he owns something like 6 LPS-1s and he does a ton of DIY, so I did a matched pair for a special project of his.

8 hours ago, Superdad said:

Not only that, but...

Another informative post that deserves to be saved in a pinned thread with limited 'write' rights, to keep the collection of 'great answers to common questions' from being buried under the firehose of normal noise posts.

Once you set up the threads and load them with some selected content, adding more would be a simple transaction, and question traffic would start to decrease (or at least get more interesting :) ). I have no earthly idea how you manage to live, design, manufacture, all while reading and posting so much ?!?  So, I figure that anything that might lessen that load might be welcome.

Yeah I've mentioned this before (JS), and I realize that you have more pressing priorites right now, but I don't want to let you forget about it  :)

14 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hi @JohnSwenson

Is there a recommended AC mains cable that can be used with your shielding method?

And recommendations for how to wire it up?

Or is shielded AC power cables less of an issue, compared with DC power cables and interconnects?

Cheers

I'm staying away from AC power cables. The shielding technique is universal, but whether it makes any difference on a AC mains cable I have no idea, I'm not going to make any guesses, and I'm probably not going to be doing any testing any time soon.

Now that that is out of the way, the power cord that makes the most sense to me is the VH Audio flavor 4. I don't have any, no experience, no tests, just based on my current thinking about cables this is the closest to what I would build myself.

John S.

6 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

this is the closest to what I would build myself.

John S for the win, once again! Thanks John.

And I've just seen one of the reasons why you may like it - star quad geometry. I've been trying to find a star quad mains cables. And no shield to potentially mess anything up (if not done correctly).

8 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I'm staying away from AC power cables. The shielding technique is universal, but whether it makes any difference on a AC mains cable I have no idea, I'm not going to make any guesses, and I'm probably not going to be doing any testing any time soon.

John S.

It would be a challenge to test shielded AC power cords, because the problem would be so situation specific. First you need a hi-fi component that is radiating interference via it's power cord, then you need a component that is sensitive to receiving interference via it's power cord. Include the lengths and placement/dress of each cord and you have an almost  unduplicatable situation.

22 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Now that that is out of the way, the power cord that makes the most sense to me is the VH Audio flavor 4. I don't have any, no experience, no tests, just based on my current thinking about cables this is the closest to what I would build myself.

John S.

Checked this out - as per the V H Audio blurb,  I do have a high current amp.

Flavor 4 PC 4 ft - Aussie Rhodium Male - 20A Rhodium Furutech IEC FI32

$535.

Hmm, value ... dunno. Currently using Supra LoRad 2.5 or Cawsey Audio.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Hi,

I need to build a power cable for the ISO Regen that has a 2 pole 3.5mm jack on one end and then the Regen fitting 5.5mm x 2.1mm barrel on the other. Finding plugs here in the UK is no problem but I cannot seem to find anywhere selling to the UK a wire equivalent to the 20AWG Star Quad cable recommended here.

Is there anyone here in the UK that could help?

Many thanks,

James