IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

This would be a split / y USB cable (just like the IFI Gemni USB cable ). 

My plan as of now is to have both wires of the y cable be exactly the same as the USB JSSG on both the power only side and the data only side (2 USB A connectors on the one end - 1 power only and one data only) and then the Y going into one USB B connector on the other end. 

However, I'm not sure the correct way to have Ghent make this cable for me and if the USB A plugs for Power and for data should each be wired / soldered differently or not and if the Power side should also have the JSSG or not? 

There is no Canare or D.C. In this cable - USB only. 

5 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Well, yes, that's a thought - there are 'improved' phono cables out there for my SME 20/2A (V arm), but they are hellishly expensive.

Are such possible with this new cabling approach?

I still have'nt started to put it together. I'll hope they will make a difference for the better, but if they will outperform any expensive cable it too much to ask for. I can just report back if they improve upon my current Jelco phono cables.

On 2017/4/21 at 3:09 AM, JohnSwenson said:

There has been a lot of posts recently in other threads about making your own DC cables for LPS-1, JS-2, Y adapters etc.

I'm going to attempt to give some theory behind DC cables and CA and some hints for making your own, and some results of my own experience.

Hi John,

May I clarify that the DC cables in your text  

1. are for LPS-1 connect to the digital device like mR, Regen, txUSBUltra?  

2. NOT for the energizer connect to the LPS-1, right?  

Regards

7 hours ago, agladstone said:

This would be a split / y USB cable (just like the IFI Gemni USB cable ). 

My plan as of now is to have both wires of the y cable be exactly the same as the USB JSSG on both the power only side and the data only side (2 USB A connectors on the one end - 1 power only and one data only) and then the Y going into one USB B connector on the other end. 

However, I'm not sure the correct way to have Ghent make this cable for me and if the USB A plugs for Power and for data should each be wired / soldered differently or not and if the Power side should also have the JSSG or not? 

There is no Canare or D.C. In this cable - USB only. 

Very interesting project. 

If I where to do I would made the power cable with a Canare star quad, and with the option to use the cable as stand alone power cable. Exactly equal to the power cable already is offered. 

This would allow you to use a LPS-1 at a later stage. 

I would only use JSSG on the data cable. 

Hm, maybe I have to order one myself ?

6 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Very interesting project. 

If I where to do I would made the power cable with a Canare star quad, and with the option to use the cable as stand alone power cable. Exactly equal to the power cable already is offered. 

This would allow you to use a LPS-1 at a later stage. 

I would only use JSSG on the data cable. 

Hm, maybe I have to order one myself ?

I agree.  I would make a cable similar to the Curious USB cable where there is a female DC barrel as close to the downstream USB connector as possible.  In this configuration the power side doesn't have to be star quad since it's so short.  As R1200CL points out, this will allow you to use a regular DC cable to supply power to the USB cable.

Hey, Im in to purchase one of these split usb cables if it's made like this. I've been thinking about replacing my Lightspeed cable anyway.  Please let me know if Ghent can make this.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

49 minutes ago, agladstone said:

This is a mark-up of how the Y USB JSSG cable will be made. 

Y-Split-USB-Cable.png

Ok.  I'm going to ask if can make one with a female DC barrel connector as close to the USB b side as possible.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

19 hours ago, greenleo said:

Hi John,

May I clarify that the DC cables in your text  

1. are for LPS-1 connect to the digital device like mR, Regen, txUSBUltra?  

2. NOT for the energizer connect to the LPS-1, right?  

Regards

Well you CAN use a starquad cable for the LPS-1 feeder, but it will have no advantage there, it doesn't hurt but it doesn't have any advantage either.

Such cables are not JUST for use with an LPS-1, they can be advantageous for any DC source and load, primarily if it is a digital device. It may help with purely analog devices such as a preamp or amp.

John S.

47 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Ok.  I'm going to ask if can make one with a female DC barrel connector as close to the USB b side as possible.

For the VBUS or for the Ground? 

If for VBUS (or ground) , I guess that wire would need to be external of the sleeve? 

Maybe I should try the same? 

Ghent is already giving me a little "this is a very difficult cable to make" slack from the above design request, so maybe I should leave it as is:)

Hi John @JohnSwenson

Is the external wire method for digital RCA coax cables exactly the same as for analogue RCA cables?

So the external wire is ONLY connected to the shield wire, and both shield wire and external do NOT connect to the RCA connectors in any way? Or is it different for a digital RCA cable?

Also, can you recommend a good DIY digital RCA cable? The Belden 1694A? Or Canare LV-61S?

The Belden 1694A has both a foil and a braided shield - which shield do you solder the external wire to?

I'm looking to make one for my old man's (dad's) CD player setup.

Many thanks again

10 hours ago, tboooe said:

I'm ready for one as well. 

The JSSG only on data, right ?

But why not use star quad for data as well ?

Both  Belden 1694A? and Canare LV-61S are good 75 Ohm digital cables.

A digital cable carries a radio frequency signal, so a heavy braided shield is not as important as with an analog cable. A digital cable doesn't need an external PEC :: Paralleled Earth Conductor wire.

In any case, if I were to add an external PEC :: Paralleled Earth Conductor wire, I would attach it chassis to chassis but taped to the analog cables.

10 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Well you CAN use a starquad cable for the LPS-1 feeder, but it will have no advantage there, it doesn't hurt but it doesn't have any advantage either.

Such cables are not JUST for use with an LPS-1, they can be advantageous for any DC source and load, primarily if it is a digital device. It may help with purely analog devices such as a preamp or amp.

John S.

Thank you John for your reply.  However, I measured that the current output from LPS-1 to mR and found  it effectively a constant, which contradicts with your words. Any suggestion why?

2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi John / Alex @JohnSwenson @Superdad

Is this the kind of Y-cable that will allow a pair of LPS-1's to output 12V at 1.1A - one set at 7V and one set at 5V?

https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc11.html

Forget about whether the starquad is done correctly here or not (because I don't know how he wires it and if it's done correctly) but this is the type of Y-cable that should work?

No it's not. But it for sure will look the same. As I have one myself. 

Just email Ghent and order the serial cable. He may even put it on his website if you like to order ?

IMG_0603.JPG

7 hours ago, R1200CL said:

No it's not. But it for sure will look the same. As I have one myself. 

Oh interesting, good thing I asked.

The 5V and 7V cables there are identical though, right?

You had different DC plug sizes if I recall, but apart from that is there anything different between the 5V and 7V splits?

So the same cable should be fine for 5V + 5V and 7V + 5V and 7V + 7V ? Assuming plug sizes are fine of course

On 7/3/2017 at 10:59 PM, Speedskater said:

if I were to add an external PEC :: Paralleled Earth Conductor wire, I would attach it chassis to chassis but taped to the analog cables.

This is interesting, especially if somebody already had a pair of shielded analogue cables that they already liked and didn't want to modify them (cutting through the outer jacket and soldering etc). This sounds the same as the method turntables use/d, that John mentioned.

Excuse the ignorant questions to follow, but when you say chassis to chassis, do you mean anywhere on the device's metal housing?

So for a CD player connected to a DAC, literally anywhere on the housing/chassis? Or are there better locations than others? 

Another silly question, but what if the CD player and DAC are both made of plastic? Where's the best place/s to connect these external wires that will run alongside the analogue cables?

Thanks in advance