IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

On 6/30/2019 at 8:58 AM, jabbr said:

Roon is the latest to tackle the music library browser business. They don’t have a Linux desktop library browser.

Not sure what you mean.  There exists Roon Server for linux, albeit you need Roon Remote to interface to it.

mQa is dead!

On 6/30/2019 at 8:48 AM, jabbr said:

By Apple you mean iTunes here. They created the music download business

Apple’s iTunes Music Store came into existence for one major reason: Napster.  OTH, I believe it was Apple that introduced DRM -- thanks.

mQa is dead!

Just for clarity, what problem did MLP claim to solve?  Was it a max bitrate issue from the DVD optical transport?

I'm reading that DVD transport has a max bitrate of around 9.8 mbps.  My math says 6 channels of 24 bit 192000 Hz audio is around 27.6 mbps.  But even with MLP, the best you could do is an effective bitrate of 18 mbps.

So I'm thinking they likely limited the bit depth to stay under 18mbps.  6 channels of 16/192 is 18.4 mbps. The LFE channel probably provided an opportunity to get the bitrate under 18 mbps.

29 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Apple’s iTunes Music Store came into existence for one major reason: Napster.  OTH, I believe it was Apple that introduced DRM -- thanks.

As far as I’m concerned, the major labels should go away. Artists can produce and sell their own CDs or work with a recording studio. They can sell music online. 

DRM was demanded by the studios who own the music (artists should own their music). The iTunes DRM is minimal with an easy out (you can still rip to a CD of your choice)

Yes, Apple provided a way for people to access music online without stealing it. Huge win. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

19 minutes ago, jabbr said:

DRM was demanded by the studios who own the music (artists should own their music). The iTunes DRM is minimal with an easy out (you can still rip to a CD of your choice)

Long ago, I've lost some DRM tracks (iTunes), when copied to another computer. That's when I stopped using iTunes.

mQa is dead!

On 6/30/2019 at 1:50 PM, Paul R said:

By the way, at that time, everything Apple had moved to an open source based Unix.

Apple, far more so than Microsoft, which is now an open-source believer, is the most proprietary computer company still in business today. Historically, Apple grows its software from open-source seeds, but the company's developers rarely contribute much code back; that is to say, Apple is much more of an open-source user than a supporter.

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

Apple certainly didn't invent DRM. Liquid Audio, which later became Windows Media Audio, was offering DRM-crippled downloads at least 4 years before the iTunes Music Store launched.

37 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Long ago, I've lost some DRM tracks (iTunes), when copied to another computer. That's when I stopped using iTunes.

iTunes tracks with DRM should still work after being moved to new computer. You just have to authorize iTunes with the account you originally purchased them with.

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

Came into being because Steve Jobs was able to take on the music industry and win, at least a bit.  Then more and more wins.

Napster was a file sharing service at the time, under lawsuit. Super inventive, and probably some of the inspiration for both iTunes and the iTunes Store.   

As for DRM, Apple did not introduce it, and fought against it quite effectively - you are spreading misinformation.  Lookup the Secure Digital Music Initiative. You will find the roots of DRM technology go back decades before even that. IBM, in fact, rejected encrypted software as far back as 1969, after spending a ton of money trying to make it viable. 

MQA just represents yet another pitiable attempt to implement DRM, this time after the horse has left the barn. Software based DRM is always ultimately defeated, and hardware based DRM usually fails after a bit too. 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

15 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

When I finally got around to ripping DVD-A discs, was quite disappointed to see the volume maximization and peak limiting.  Just like MQA 🙂

That being said there many DVD-As with great 24 bit mastering, many at 24/192...but what was a little insidious was many remixes, with no indication as such...titles from the Eagles, Grateful Dead, and others come to mind. Even the DVD-A of the Stone Temple Pilots Core was a remix.

2 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

DVD-A was simply a container for 24 bit audio. Once we got passed dial up it was destined to die quickly.

In my view it died because there is no way for me to play DVD-A on my computer, or store it in my library. I still buy CDs and SACDs ... I started buying SACDs when I learned how to rip these to my computer using my PS-3.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.