IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

35 minutes ago, new_media said:

This article basically says that hi-res audio actually does offer a higher quality sonic experience, you just need the right system and room to appreciate it, so the title is very misleading.

I don't understand why Apple gets all the credit/blame for music being portable. I was listening to music on a Sony cassette Walkman with Sony earbuds in 1986; probably worse sound quality than the iPod.

I find it amusing that Apple is always made out to be the bad guy, running a closed garden, while the rest of the world knows better and uses open source goodies. Even if there is a little tiny bit of truth in that. 😁

So, without Apple, portable music would still be defined as cassettes, perhaps CDs. It would be portable because people would lug then around in backpacks or such. Instead, pretty much everyone has access to almost any music they want to listen to, anytime, anywhere, and on pretty much any device. Thank Apple and their flood of imitators that followed. The freeware / open source software was created more to imitate Apple than to lead the way forward. Not always the case of course, and Apple did create their own supported versions of some existing music formats, including FLAC. Support was important in those days!

Perhaps a non audio example would make the point clearer. In -oh - 1998, UFO enthusiasts claimed that if as few as 100,000 people  had cameras with them all the time, the “UFO Mystery” would be quickly resolved.  Fast forward to today, where millions of people have cameras and video recorders and almost instant ways  share those recordings on them all the time. Any proof positive that there are non-terrestrial aliens in our sky’s?  Nope. So the mystery may be resolved, but not at all the way they expected. 

While smartphones existed before the iPhone, with cameras, does anyone really believe that they would be as utterly ubiquitous today without Apple?  Same with MP3 players before the iPod with AAC and ALAC and AIFF. Apple has been an incredibly powerful force for progress over the past 40 years or so. Unfortunately for us, the driving force always was Steve Jobs, and he is gone. So, I am greatly afraid, is that driven innovation that literally changed the world. Several times over. 

God help us if innovation is left to Meridian and Tidal and Kanye. If Jobs were still driving Apple (or a Pixar, etc.) MQA would already have been buried.

Just my $0.02. 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

50 minutes ago, new_media said:

This article basically says that hi-res audio actually does offer a higher quality sonic experience, you just need the right system and room to appreciate it, so the title is very misleading.

I don't understand why Apple gets all the credit/blame for music being portable. I was listening to music on a Sony cassette Walkman with Sony earbuds in 1986; probably worse sound quality than the iPod.

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 2.40.42 PM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

MLP was  just another failed Meridian idea destined for the scrap heap since day one. Like all other Meridian technologies. Stuart was utterly bereft of the ability to read the market. He was an anti visionary.  

Stuart was able to continue on after failure after failure due to friendly bail outs and operate under the charade of a "successful" business. Sounds like someone we know, huh? MQA is just bits of pieces from several obsolete ideas pieced together in one last ditch attempt. And there were a number of useful pseudo "authority" figures who played along until they were publicly exposed as either incompetent or shills. 

On 6/28/2019 at 3:31 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

So is it official that choice has now been taken away from us as consumers? The company (MQA Ltd) that said it was all about choice and giving consumers the option, then said they it had no control over how its technology is used, just put a dagger in the hearts of many of its defenders. I think pretty much all the MQA fans who defended it for years here always said there was no evidence that our choice to stream pure PCM will be removed. Well, I just tried to play the non-MQA version of  The Black Keys new album Let's Rock and if using Roon there is no way to stream a non-MQA version from TIdal. I even went into the Tidal app, changed my settings to HiFi (not Master) and favorited the album as a hail mary to see if I could get the pure PCM version and it was a no-go. 

Thankfully Qobuz still offers pure PCM. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 8.25.03 AM.png

Apparently The Black Keys found another ME. Their previous ME, our friend Brian Lucey, was an outspoken critic of MQA.

Very very interesting side bar in the brand new issue of Rolling Stone:

"Better-Than CD Quality":

Quotes-

"Streaming services were once non starters in the audiophile world because of their compressed, compromised sound."

Qobuz is mentioned as the premier CD and high resolution service, Here is where it gets interesting Tidal is mentioned as 

streaming CD quality "or better". No mention of MQA what so ever.  There is mention of Amazon going high rez, which Amazon is quoted as saying is "speculative". Finally Neil Young is given a shout out by a Qobuz managing director as being at the forefront of high rez.

5 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Very very interesting side bar in the brand new issue of Rolling Stone:

"Better-Than CD Quality":

Quotes-

"Streaming services were once non starters in the audiophile world because of their compressed, compromised sound."

Qobuz is mentioned as the premier CD and high resolution service, Here is where it gets interesting Tidal is mentioned as 

streaming CD quality "or better". No mention of MQA what so ever.  There is mention of Amazon going high rez, which Amazon is quoted as saying is "speculative". Finally Neil Young is given a shout out by a Qobuz managing director as being at the forefront of high rez.

I'd guess they don't specifically mention MQA b/c they know that almost no one in the readership will know what it is. In the audiophile bubble it is a topic; outside the bubble it's a big zero. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 6/29/2019 at 3:31 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Looks like the Tidal app streams the CD quality pure PCM when HiFi is selected, but only via the Tidal app. I captured some of one track if anyone wants to examine..

HiFi-passthrough.flac 3.7 MB · 1 download

Master-Decoded-by-Tidal-app.flac 3.97 MB · 0 downloads

Master-passthrough.flac 3.75 MB · 1 download

I've had weird issues with Roon search lately. I have typed in tracks or albums which are in my library, but don't show up in search, or only show the TIDAL versions (if "Only show my library" is off) so it could be a bug. 

3 hours ago, Currawong said:

I've had weird issues with Roon search lately. I have typed in tracks or albums which are in my library, but don't show up in search, or only show the TIDAL versions (if "Only show my library" is off) so it could be a bug. 

Hi,

Farnell has the same issue - despite the transistor being in the system as i could locate it through narrowing the filter criteria, it could never return the device through a search. I noticed that when i completed a search, then "bing" was in the search URL that flashed up.

Maybe the target system has moved across to a Microsoft solution ?

Regards,

Shadders.

On 6/28/2019 at 3:25 PM, Paul R said:

The freeware / open source software was created more to imitate Apple than to lead the way forward

Whoa, Linus Torvalds should get a whiff of that post.  😖

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

On 6/28/2019 at 3:25 PM, Paul R said:

I find it amusing that Apple is always made out to be the bad guy, running a closed garden, while the rest of the world knows better and uses open source goodies. Even if there is a little tiny bit of truth in that. 😁

So, without Apple, portable music would still be defined as cassettes, perhaps CDs. It would be portable because people would lug then around in backpacks or such. Instead, pretty much everyone has access to almost any music they want to listen to, anytime, anywhere, and on pretty much any device. Thank Apple and their flood of imitators that followed. The freeware / open source software was created more to imitate Apple than to lead the way forward. Not always the case of course, and Apple did create their own supported versions of some existing music formats, including FLAC. Support was important in those days!

Yes! MP3 isn’t a free (IP) format. By Apple you mean iTunes here. They created the music download business — they also demolished the closed/locked cell phone ecosystem for those of us who remember when the only apps you could get on your phone were available from AT&T or Verizon on Motorola. Yuck!

So now our cellphones run ARM and have Wi-Fi and cellular. I’m happy to cede a good measure of control to Apple in exchange for my phone not crashing at critical moments. 

But honestly! It plays music, makes calls, holds my calendar, is a browser, is a camera, operates my Sony camera, stores photos & movies. It also gives my maps, and tells me where to drive to in the morning!

Sony never had the vision to give us this. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, Sal1950 said:

Whoa, Linus Torvalds should get a whiff of that post.  😖

Linus hasn’t gotten so involved in applications. @Paul R is talking about iTunes ... it seems as though the world is moving away from iTunes to streaming services. Roon is the latest to tackle the music library browser business. They don’t have a Linux desktop library browser. I’d love to see a cutting edge open source Linux desktop music library manager app — where is it? (The DLNA / uPNP stuff just doesn’t cut it for me)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Is this the cold open for Make Audio Great Again?

Your putting the a great motto to a bad cause Chris  ;)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.