IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

6 minutes ago, StreamHiRes said:

Could be. Music reproduction technology hasn’t changed in over three decades. The science of audio is continuously evolving. I understand change can be hard for many, but we should give MQA a chance. It’s changed my life for the better.

@the computer audiophile - You apparently have some way to tell if previously banned members are back under a new name. Any chance you could take a peek at this user? I don’t see anything wrong with someone declaring their belief that MQA is an improvement if that is what they think but whoever this is, they’re just looking to stir things up, not discuss the topic. 

9 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

@the computer audiophile - You apparently have some way to tell if previously banned members are back under a new name. Any chance you could take a peek at this user? I don’t see anything wrong with someone declaring their belief that MQA is an improvement if that is what they think but whoever this is, they’re just looking to stir things up, not discuss the topic. 

You get banned for discussing MQA in this forum?  I’m not trying to stir things up, but rather calm the rhetoric and unnecessary controversy that’s directed towards MQA. 

3 minutes ago, StreamHiRes said:

You get banned for discussing MQA in this forum?  I’m not trying to stir things up, but rather calm the rhetoric and unnecessary controversy that’s directed towards MQA. 

You don't get banned for discussing the topic. You get banned for bad behavior.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 minutes ago, StreamHiRes said:

Nope, but people do get banned for being jerks and personal attacks. So far you don’t appear to be guilty of either of those things but you also aren’t trying to “calm” anything down. In fact, it’s quite clear your goal is the opposite. 

12 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

Nope, but people do get banned for being jerks and personal attacks. So far you don’t appear to be guilty of either of those things but you also aren’t trying to “calm” anything down. In fact, it’s quite clear your goal is the opposite. 

Like I previously stated; I just don’t understand why the all hatred. Nobody is forced to use MQA. I find it very pleasing to the ear. The title of this controversial post unjustly attacks the MQA technology. Bob Stuart has a long track record of audio innovation. It’s not like some Joe Blow just made this MQA thing up in his basement. Why all the bashing? The audiophile hobby is supposed to be fun. Come on guys, give MQA some credit. At least it’s not another small MP3 bit rate increase that many streaming providers now call premium.

5 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Whoa, Linus Torvalds should get a whiff of that post.  😖

Whoa yourself - Linux was basically annoyed that AT&T was locking up Unix, and inspired by Minix. So far as I know, he had no thoughts about the music industry with Linux. If you know different please share with the rest of us. 

I will say in the history of Unix, software that had similar aims to a MQA crashed and burned very quickly, mostly due to open source software and being ignored by mist people unwilling to pay for software they had no way to customize or fix if it broke.  Linux was one of the open source software releases that put paid to some rather evil AT&T ambitions. The young folks here won’t remember those days, but you certainly should. 

And Apple with iTunes and the iPod, followed up by the iPhone did the same to the computer music market. By the way, at that time, everything Apple had moved to an open source based Unix. Which is, if you included Linux these days, the kernel underlying MacOS, iOS, Android, your TV, Microwave, and pretty much every music player not based upon Windows out there.  

And let let us not forget that Macs led the way in audio production. GarageBand and Logic are responsible for how many new artists and music out there?

Innovation today is not really coming from Apple, at least, not a lot of innovation. Where is it coming from? 

Prediction - someone will get annoyed with MQA or something like it and totally revolutionize the audio marketplace with something. What, I can’t imagine. But it is about time someone changed the world again. If Jobs were here, perhaps the Apple Holodeck would about to hit the market.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

59 minutes ago, firedog said:

This post shows you are highly misinformed. Bob Stuart is trying to make money. So far his other businesses haven't done so. MQA's real purpose is to establish a closed proprietary format that creates revenue for Bob. Read the "controversies" thread about MQA and you will see that much of what he says or has said about MQA is either deceptive or even an outright lie.

The only objective testing of MQA shows listeners don't prefer it over non MQA. 

A few years ago we were told there was nothing to worry about because standard and MQA versions of music would both always be available. We are starting to see that this isn't true. One of the issues with MQA is the potential to use it as a vehicle  for lack of choice for consumers and the removal of other hi-res masters from the market. 

"Give MQA some credit". For what? What have they actually  brought to the table? As far as I can see - nothing of value. The format isn't needed for streaming, - perfectly good streaming of hi-res is available from Qobuz and some of the classical sites. Regular unadulterated hi-res is in no way inferior to MQA - and doesn't need a "special" DAC. So please tell us again, what is it for?

I missed something, what music is only available in MQA? Streaming does not count unless you can’t buy a CD or Download of the music. Admittedly, I only spent 20 minutes looking, and I did not look on Tidal. 

Robert A. Heinlein

3 minutes ago, firedog said:

Don’t agree. If streaming is your main or one of your main media for listening to music, it matters. And there are more and more people who only stream. 

Well, that’s cool for you. To me, that. Sounds much more like a rationalization than an example, but potaytoes potahtoes.

Robert A. Heinlein

1 hour ago, Paul R said:

I missed something, what music is only available in MQA? Streaming does not count unless you can’t buy a CD or Download of the music. Admittedly, I only spent 20 minutes looking, and I did not look on Tidal. 

On one hand MQA is harmless because its yet another proprietary compression format which promises to be better yet isn't.

On the other hand its a proprietary locked format and proprietary formats are intrinsically evil and so deserving of vehement disapproval.

On one hand Tidal is owned by artists and I would thus wish it well.

On the other hand Tidal uses a proprietary format and thus I won't use it and hope it fails.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.