IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, Paul R said:

I do not think you get the idea of what is being specified. The speaker itself may be capable of reproducing much higher frequencies, but it will be at an increased or a reduced volume.  

Yes, I get that.  Normally, those ultrasonic frequencies that the speaker can produce beyond its specified range will be produced at a much reduced volume -- so much so, that they could probably be ignored -- the drop off is really severe.  And the effect of these ultrasonic frequencies on the audible range, if such exists, is thusly reduced.

Let's face it. You're not going to get the benefits, if any, of hi-res from speakers with a specified range of 75Hz - 20kHz ±-3dB.

mQa is dead!

The frequency response of those Harbeth speakers to 30KHz is available.  Not too far down almost to 30KHz but it looks like it might be taking a dive after that.

image.png.43e4ea790c9a7f90b7c813fafe175005.png

Fig.3 Harbeth P3ESR, anechoic response on tweeter axis at 50" without grille, averaged across 30° horizontal window and corrected for microphone response, with nearfield woofer response plotted below 300Hz.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/harbeth-p3esr-loudspeaker-measurements#j8tdvBEYYv8WGoYe.99

1 hour ago, psjug said:

The frequency response of those Harbeth speakers to 30KHz is available.  Not too far down almost to 30KHz but it looks like it might be taking a dive after that.

image.png.43e4ea790c9a7f90b7c813fafe175005.png

Fig.3 Harbeth P3ESR, anechoic response on tweeter axis at 50" without grille, averaged across 30° horizontal window and corrected for microphone response, with nearfield woofer response plotted below 300Hz.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/harbeth-p3esr-loudspeaker-measurements#j8tdvBEYYv8WGoYe.99

How can you tell where the 30kHz mark is?

mQa is dead!

On 6/8/2019 at 3:53 PM, Paul R said:

Hi John - 

There is plenty of music content above 20khz, and nope, it ain't distortion. Vinyl can reproduce it just fine.  Has been that way for ages. Not saying anyone can actually hear it, at least not directly. However, if you stick your paw in an ultrasonic record cleaner bath you are sure able to feel something. 😉

Can you be a little more specific about what you are talking about? 

Methinks that you cannot hear the  'content',  and like noise/music above 20kHz from vinyl -- it is messed up anyway.   If you think that any signfiicant pop material made before 1990 has 'clean' highs -- well I have a bridge to sell you...  Most recording situations used DolbyA/DolbySR (and its littler brothers/sisters.)  The splats from the old HW are about as strong as any 'music' -- perhaps stronger when you have those nice 'cymbals' from 'high quality' recordings.  (reference:  when I decode professional material and compare with a true DolbyA -- on a specific recording, using DolbyA HW cymbals are decoded at a suppressed level -- guess where that suppressed energy goes?  think about 20kHz?  It isn't that the DolbyA cannot respond quickly -- it is that the response is SO FAST that intermod is so severe that much of the energy is lost outside of the audio band!!!)

Get a pair of Earthworks or good DPA microphones, and record directly onto digital -- then you have music material above 20kHz or so -- *that cannot be heard or detected by humans*.  Please do not count the resulting distortion products which do 'make a difference' when errant signals much above 20khz mess things up.  (I am not one of those 'must brickwall at 20kHz' people -- but every extra kHz above certain signal level will more and more likely be troublesome.)

One nice thing about my decoder -- it doesn't produce those splats...  (That is what I was talking about breaking my decoder.)  DolbyA encoded and decoded material is full of splts, similar to the vinyl being all contorted WRT signal quality above about -- say, 0Hz :-).

On the other hand, pros are 'big boys' and know how to deal with the HF problems, and they oftne like to keep high sample rates/raw bandwidths for purposes other than direct listening. (I am not counting myself as one of those 'big boys' -- just talking about the pros)

John

On 6/9/2019 at 8:51 AM, Rt66indierock said:

Tidal is virtually unknown in the streaming market and has no market share.

Don't know about "no market share," but not big enough to make the US-only list linked below.  OTOH (and this is always what concerns me), I'm hoping against hope that the industry doesn't take MQA's faceplant as meaning they ought not to contract with other streaming services offering open format "lossless" (quotes because pretty much everything we listen to has undergone lossy conversion at some point in the chain, even if just inside the ADC) hi res.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/798125/most-popular-us-music-streaming-services-ranked-by-audience/

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

Don't know about "no market share," but not big enough to make the US-only list linked below.  OTOH (and this is always what concerns me), I'm hoping against hope that the industry doesn't take MQA's faceplant as meaning they ought not to contract with other streaming services offering open format "lossless" (quotes because pretty much everything we listen to has undergone lossy conversion at some point in the chain, even if just inside the ADC) hi res.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/798125/most-popular-us-music-streaming-services-ranked-by-audience/

Interesting numbers. I always thought Pandora was way bigger than the streaming services. Looking at the Pandora specific numbers it looks like it's larger than the monthly numbers suggest. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 12.30.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 12.29.57 PM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Interesting numbers. I always thought Pandora was way bigger than the streaming services. Looking at the Pandora specific numbers it looks like it's larger than the monthly numbers suggest. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 12.30.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 12.29.57 PM.png

US-only (my link) vs. world (yours)?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, John Dyson said:

Methinks that you cannot hear the  'content',  and like noise/music above 20kHz from vinyl -- it is messed up anyway.   If you think that any signfiicant pop material made before 1990 has 'clean' highs -- well I have a bridge to sell you...  Most recording situations used DolbyA/DolbySR (and its littler brothers/sisters.)  The splats from the old HW are about as strong as any 'music' -- perhaps stronger when you have those nice 'cymbals' from 'high quality' recordings.  (reference:  when I decode professional material and compare with a true DolbyA -- on a specific recording, using DolbyA HW cymbals are decoded at a suppressed level -- guess where that suppressed energy goes?  think about 20kHz?  It isn't that the DolbyA cannot respond quickly -- it is that the response is SO FAST that intermod is so severe that much of the energy is lost outside of the audio band!!!)

Get a pair of Earthworks or good DPA microphones, and record directly onto digital -- then you have music material above 20kHz or so -- *that cannot be heard or detected by humans*.  Please do not count the resulting distortion products which do 'make a difference' when errant signals much above 20khz mess things up.  (I am not one of those 'must brickwall at 20kHz' people -- but every extra kHz above certain signal level will more and more likely be troublesome.)

One nice thing about my decoder -- it doesn't produce those splats...  (That is what I was talking about breaking my decoder.)  DolbyA encoded and decoded material is full of splts, similar to the vinyl being all contorted WRT signal quality above about -- say, 0Hz :-).

On the other hand, pros are 'big boys' and know how to deal with the HF problems, and they oftne like to keep high sample rates/raw bandwidths for purposes other than direct listening. (I am not counting myself as one of those 'big boys' -- just talking about the pros)

John

Well, I think the higher sample rates can be very beneficial to listening, but should probably take this off line or to different topic. 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Making an optimistic guess about Tidal's market share it is probably less than 2% with your data pretty much "no market share."

Tommy Faragher, Rafa Sardina and Tony Braunagel in the Golden Ear Seminar had a good chuckle when I asked about hi-res as a deliverable in record contracts. Tony I believe said even if the contract specified hi-res the mastering engineers convert it to analog anyway. Only a Mytek guy pointed out a label that now demands 24/96. 

And dash your hopes a bit in both of Mark Waldrep's seminars he called both MQA and hi-res a fraud.

22 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Well, I think the higher sample rates can be very beneficial to listening, but should probably take this off line or to different topic. 

I'm fine with this discussion and any points you want to make about how higher sample rates are beneficial to listening.

2 minutes ago, esldude said:

About this ultrasonic vinyl business.  I think I've mentioned it once.  Rather than name calling and insults, how about someone give us a 96 khz or higher needle drop.  Let us take out the lower stuff and slow it down to hear what is up there.  Then we can just listen to it and see without all the conjecture and disagreement. 

Now I have one from Paul at 192 khz.  Removed everything below 20 khz.  Slowed by a factor of 8.  Nothing you can hear.  I amplified it by 36 db.  You hear a lot of scratchiness, and every once in a while maybe a cymbal like sound faintly.  Of course there are no cymbals as it is a piano recording.  The cymbal like sounds do coincide with the loudest moments from the piano.  

If you want to argue there is something up there, well alright.  If you think it is something you'll hear or influence the sound. well don't be ridiculous.  Too low in level, too buried in noise and way too high in frequency.  Who knows if it is anything more than distortion harmonics.   Attached is a short segment of the most energetic and 'music filled' few seconds. 

sample of ultrasonics on vinyl rip.zip 2.9 MB · 1 download

To quote Abraham Lincoln, or was it Ariana Grande, "Thank U Next." 

In other words, thanks for the facts @esldude. Can we now move on / back to the topic at hand. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

To quote Abraham Lincoln, or was it Ariana Grande, "Thank U Next." 

In other words, thanks for the facts @esldude. Can we now move on / back to the topic at hand. 

MQA encoded vinyl?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

17 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Vinyl, despite other forms of distortion, often sounds better than most digital, even better than poorly recorded high res digital. Certainly it can sound better than red book, MP3s, and MQA. 

That says a lot about the mastering of digital, etc.  Nonetheless, you're going to get a lot of vinyl junkies who claim it is better regardless of the mastering of CDs or digital files, etc.  The world of "audiophiles" is an irrational one.

mQa is dead!

18 minutes ago, Paul R said:

People have already posted spectrograms with high frequency content, both from vinyl and digital sources. And from recorded vinyl sources as well. Anyone wishing to dispute that there is real valid musical content above 20khz should start a topic about it. I do not feel such a contention is worth arguing about, as it is demonstrably false to almost any interested party with no effort on my part.

How do you reconcile this with Dennis''s post? Did you listen to the file he shared?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull