IGNORED

Donner und Blitz

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by jabbr viewpost-right.png

Oh yeah the bass is waaay too quiet! ;)

Not necessarily. It can make a clap of thunder sound like a cannon !

Before Peter gets stuck into me, I would add that if he had continued listening past the last loud "explosion" with the comparison tracks that I provided,(English translation "Thunder and Lightning Polka") he would have heard thunder continue to roll around in the distance.

Perhaps his super efficient horn speakers momentarily deafened him ? (grin)

You have no clue, do you ? :)

There is zero low frequency in there (but see more below ;)) hence you don't know what I am talking about. Nothing rolls. It is a flawed recording of a firecracker. Ok ?

Yes, sure it is my speakers.

I have news for you and without trying it I'd really like that you get out of your ever recurring Blitz Polka loop. After that it will be fine. ;)

Download this track (Rightclick and Save link as) :

Witness The Strength

Yo yo yo Gee, Yo Gee, where's the bass ?

After this at second 17, what do you perceive ?

Wanna bet something ? ... a bass. And even a fairly loud one.

My speakers are so lousy that I can only hear a slight whushh. Diaphragms move heavily though. All 6 of them.

We are in serious trouble now because my woofers do not distort audibly (20Hz and below is just that and is not audible) and what the engineer made of this, is a heavily audible distortion. But how could he know ...

Of course the engineer is not tuning for distortion, but he created "a sound". Now, I can't know, but with the thunder it can have been the same during the creation of it; so low sub low can have been added that this is now not audible.

(start laughing now)

During the writing of the last sentence I suddenly thought : but wait, if I am right I can just feel the woofers for it. And so I did. And I *AM* right.

So my down under ass friend, what any normal speaker person will perceive of this, is the distortion coming from the speaker NOT being able to reproduce the inaudible 20Hz or even lower (I did not measure it). Of course it depends on the roll off of the speaker, but assumed that most speakers will show a natural roll off, you will perceive the thunder quite as intended and will not (!) perceive it as distortion as such (this is because the engineer did his best to make it the best sounding thunder, used 20Hz and below which now sounds as 40Hz (and below)).

If you are as far as believing me that where you hear that bass in given track at second 17 and that I don't hear a thing of it (but woofers heavily move at 20Hz and lower) then you can also start to believe how that thunder on your Blitzing Polka sounds like a saw as I originally laid it out (thread elsewhere). What it shows is a higher frequency of thunder which indeed can be thunder but without the force because that just lacks in the "data". The engineer molested after all. And what you hear "rolling" in the back is nothing else than a normal "echo" of something like an explosion, which of course thunder is also.

I actually don't know how such a thing works out on headphones. But do notice that it is you always saying that I/we forgot to read/interpret the title "Donner und blitz" while it is you who already knew and thus are the one subject to placebo (think of it, because it is quite funny). You hear a Donner and I hear a saw (the ones used in Orchestras).

Download that track and let me know. Also, let's have fun with this and acknowledge that with audio there's always "more".

Best regards,

Peter

PS: Alex, I finished my text and thought to also feel the woofers right at the very (rolling) end. So the sub low is in there too (DC like movement) and can possible be felt in the room when played loud enough. OK.

But then I recalled how the track as a whole sounds, and this seems quite heavy to me. *Then* I thought to feel right from the start and now

a. I tell you that the sub low is in all (of the more heavy sounds);

b. You may be able to tell me what it is, because I don't recognize the nature of it.

Ad b.

You will recall that I had similar remarks in the original thread about this.

Edit : I now have listened to 7 or so versions I have - that must be a row of kettle drums.

PPS: I will try to find another version, which has not been pumped up, because that's what I think happened.

PPPS: For those interested : the Donner und Blitz Polka track :

Donner und Blitz Polka

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Peter

It looks like I hit a raw nerve for you to start a new thread.

I feel sure that if you knew what the title of the track was when translated , you wouldn't have made the original statement about a soggy cannon shot with the other version. Neither did you appear to notice the continuing distant thunder after the last "explosion" or you wouldn't have referred to a cannon shot in your original reply.

I actually don't know how such a thing works out on headphones.

I was using headphones.

Placebo perhaps, but I am able to correctly select the different versions under non sighted conditions, as was a friend using his Bricasti M1 DAC through my main system directly from the comparison CD-R.

"On the non-10 all works out, including a sheer blast at the end, now meant as cannon shot. Nothing of that in the “10”. "

It's interesting that you still found both versions to sound different, despite having identical checksums, and despite having arguably one of the best DACs on the planet.

BTW, it's not a good idea to post a link to copyrighted material in open forum.

I will leave it at that as I don't wish to get further offside with you, so feel free to have the last word, but no further mentioning of warm piss please.

Alex

P.S.

I notice that you have posted a link to a compressed Zip.(20.4MB ) The actual size is 37.3MB.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Aha, so you are not even going to attempt ?

Sure ?

Seems that you prefer a little added "Jitter" ?

G'night !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

No, it's because I know it's illegal to use canon in recording studio:)

At least in Europe, in the US I don't know everything is possible with the NRA.

I know there are recordings of the 1812 Overture using real cannons recorded outdoors and mixed with the music during mastering.

POLKA?

People listen to Polka?

This thread (v.2) is the written equivalent of "jitter" (which, given any mid-range hifi equipment, cannot be detected by the human ear)

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

File provenance.

Both .wav files were ripped using E.A.C.

The file that Peter preferred, and thought was more accurate, was ripped using a cheap Samsung USB powered portable writer using a generic 1.8M USB cable plugged into a front USB 3 port of my P.C. It was saved to an external WD Elements 2TB HDD powered via an SMPS plugpack and connected to a rear USB3 port via a 1.8M USB cable.

The other .wav file was ripped using an internal LG GGW H20L BR writer that was designed by Alfe.

It's +12V and +5V supplies were further improved using a dual John Linsley Hood designed PSU add-on which is a variety of shunt regulator with around 4uV noise.

It was saved to an internal Samsung EVO 840 SSD. Both the music SSD and the OS SSD were powered individually from the +12V rail via LM317T voltage regulators with +5V output followed by the JLH PSU add-ons for an isolated low noise +5V supply.

Through my system the other version on the comparison CD sounds almost identical to that of the same track played directly from the original Telarc CD. Both versions are readily correctly identified under non sighted conditions.

Alex

A photo of the SSDs PSU is attached.

2KKAI5.jpg

I know there are recordings of the 1812 Overture using real cannons recorded outdoors and mixed with the music during mastering.

Many years ago I purchased this Telarc CD from a Music Store in Sydney's CBD.

When I got it home I found deep gouges on the CD. It appears that a staff member took it home and failed to heed the warnings on the CD, thus presumably blowing up his speakers.

The store manager made it obvious that he didn't believe me, but had to replace the CD with a sealed copy this time.

The original was NOT sealed, and had obviously been used for store demonstrations.

Alex

I had a problem to hear a difference between the two version, but in both I recognised thunder :)

I have my own version where I use a nuclear weapon, don't allowed by the NRA, but in my own recording studio.

I don't know if PeterSt speakers are capable of reproduce this, but please use the proper protective suit :)

Roch