IGNORED

WAV or FLAC

9 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

you don't know how this works at all, do you

Why should I need to know how to do something so tedious as ripping a CD at normal playback speed from an external CD player, even though I have Coax SPDIF In with my internal soundcard, when I have an Internal LG BR writer?

I have ZERO interest in doing anything so time consuming with a large collection of CDs.

Get a life !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Why should I need to know how to do something so tedious as ripping a CD at normal playback speed from an external CD player, even though I have Coax SPDIF In with my internal soundcard, when I have an Internal LG BR writer?

I have ZERO interest in doing anything so time consuming with a large collection of CDs.

Get a life !

Wow. You really don't know how it works. CDs aren't ripped at normal playback speeds. Why would they be????

24 minutes ago, diecaster said:

Wow. You really don't know how it works. CDs aren't ripped at normal playback speeds. Why would they be????

Do you have a reading comprehension problem ?

Normal CD players can NOT export via Digital Out at other than the normal player speed of REAL TIME playback.

Paul used the words CD player, NOT CD/DVD ROM Drive.

Yes, I do also on occasions use an external USB powered DVD writer for ripping CDs, as well as an external LG BR drive in a cradle connected via USB, and powered by a +12V 2A and +5V 2A SMPS plugpack. .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

Accurate rip was used. Replay gain was turned off .

Do YOU keep records of all rips done more than 5 years ago ? :o

Sure, why wouldn't I?  I have rip logs going back 10 years.  I save them along with the rips, because I do worry about audible problems with the rips.  It's also possible that a rip with a bad track can be ripped correctly with a new CDROM drive, so I want the log showing the result for each track.

I also keep the rips for tests I've run (like some hi-rez vs Redbook tests) for later use.  

I'd also want to nail down the exact difference between the rips by looking at the file metadata, the tags, and the md5 sums of the de-compressed wav files.  

What you claim to have discovered is that the checksum can't be relied on.  That's a pretty world-shaking thing for computer audio.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Do you have a reading comprehension problem ?

Normal CD players can NOT export via Digital Out at other than the normal player speed of REAL TIME playback.

Paul used the words CD player, NOT CD/DVD ROM Drive.

Yes, I do also on occasions use an external USB powered DVD writer for ripping CDs, as well as an external LG BR drive in a cradle connected via USB, and powered by a +12V 2A and +5V 2A SMPS plugpack. .

The context of Paul's post is clear. You are being pedantic at best and specious at worst. He meant "CD drive" connected in some fashion to a computer.

1 hour ago, Daverz said:

What you claim to have discovered is that the checksum can't be relied on.  That's a pretty world-shaking thing for computer audio.

Checksums can only tell you that the 1s and 0s are correct, NOT how the file will sound , OR LOOK !!! ;)

Even Mansr, who is the default "Chief Head Kicker" for the Objective side is now investigating similar, after Mani (after a false start) managed to score 9 out 10 in the "Blue Pill or Red Pill" thread !  

"It's also possible that a rip with a bad track can be ripped correctly with a new CDROM drive, so I want the log showing the result for each track."

It's also possible that a few, even a single error, will make absolutely no difference to how a music file sounds , even though the overrated checksums will no longer be correct !

27 minutes ago, diecaster said:

The context of Paul's post is clear. You are being pedantic at best and specious at worst. He meant "CD drive" connected in some fashion to a computer.

With Paul R. I do not take anything for granted. Paul is a very smart cookie .

You are trying so hard to make others appear stupid/inexperienced , that you fell into your own trap !:P

just a small point of order...

All my albums are ripped as WAV (> 2500 albums) and are all tagged with artist/album/track name/track number/disk number/genre AND album art.

I have had no issues with any music software reading the tags including LMS and Roon.

So its a myth you cant take WAV files.

below is a LMS a partial screen shot

New-1.gif

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Checksums can only tell you that the 1s and 0s are correct, NOT how the file will sound

Now we are in the realm of magical thinking.

I'm might be willing to entertain the existence of magic, but I'll need to see the receipts in triplicate.

20 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Checksums can only tell you that the 1s and 0s are correct, NOT how the file will sound...

This is just your opinion. You have no facts to back up this opinion. You have no technical explanation how a device that converts these bits to analog sound could be fed two files, that are bit for bit copies, exactly the same way and have them sound different. You can't even offer up a supposition......ridiculous and unbelievable.

3 minutes ago, Daverz said:

Now we are in the realm of magical thinking.

I'm might be willing to entertain the existence of magic, but I'll need to see the receipts in triplicate.

Why don't you just wait and see how the "Blue Pill or Red Pill" thread progresses ?

It wouldn't hurt either to try and understand many of the replies from Peter St. too, who designed the highly acclaimed XXHE software player for Windows, as well as a world class DAC ? (Phasure NOS DAC)

33 minutes ago, diecaster said:

This is just your opinion. You have no facts to back up this opinion.

Utter BS.

I have 6 POSITIVE separate DBTs formed by EE. and Technical writer Martin Colloms, as well as verification  by world famous Recording and Mastering Engineer Barry Diament, lengthy replies by Peter St. saying similar, and also confirmation  from Marcin (JPlay) and John Kenny, who have also done confirming test with me several years ago, over a period of a couple of months.

Mani. Peter St. , acg (Anthony) have also heard differences with comparison .wav files that I previously supplied, and the results were discussed in a C.A. thread.

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Utter BS.

I have 6 POSITIVE separate DBTs formed by EE. and Technical writer Martin Colloms, as well as verification  by world famous Recording and Mastering Engineer Barry Diament, lengthy replies by Peter St. saying similar, and also

confirmation  from Marcin and John Kenny, who have also done confirming test years ago, over a period of a couple of months.

Please don't hold it just to yourself and share this ground breaking evidence!

1 minute ago, PleasantSounds said:

Please don't hold it just to yourself and share this ground breaking evidence!

If you are trying to attempt being funny using SARCASM, don't bother.

Brief results of the 6 separate DBT sessions were published in Hi Fi Critic magazine vol.6 No.1

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Utter BS.

I have 6 POSITIVE separate DBTs formed by EE. and Technical writer Martin Colloms, as well as verification  by world famous Recording and Mastering Engineer Barry Diament, lengthy replies by Peter St. saying similar, and also confirmation  from Marcin (JPlay) and John Kenny, who have also done confirming test with me several years ago, over a period of a couple of months.

Mani. Peter St. , acg (Anthony) have also heard differences with comparison .wav files that I previously supplied, and the results were discussed in a C.A. thread.

Mani tells a different story.

36 minutes ago, mansr said:

Mani tells a different story.

???

Mani, Peter and Anthony(acg) all reported hearing differences between my uploaded comparison .wav files of 

"Unter Donner und Blitz Polka, Op. 324"

I don't think that they knew at the time that the English translation of this track was "Thunder and Lightning Polka."

Mani and Peter both chose the inferior version of this track due partly to a poorly recorded (indoors ?)  inserted recording of the Thunder clap. Anthony chose correctly though. Separately, Martin Colloms also selected the inferior version for similar reasons.(from a supplied comparison CD-R)

None of these members had any apparent difficulty in hearing differences between these 2 .wav files with identical .md5 checksums.

33 minutes ago, mansr said:

There's no magic there.

So now you are claiming that Mani's 9 out of 10 result was meaningless, and a fluke , based solely on your inability to find any apparent differences ? 

How many times does Mani need to get high scores using the same methodology as with the 9 out of 10 test results to finally convince you that he IS hearing differences between .wav files with identical checksums ?:o

2 hours ago, ricko01 said:

just a small point of order...

All my albums are ripped as WAV (> 2500 albums) and are all tagged with artist/album/track name/track number/disk number/genre AND album art.

I have had no issues with any music software reading the tags including LMS and Roon.

So its a myth you cant take WAV files.

below is a LMS a partial screen shot

New-1.gif

Not a myth, you've simply found two players that read wav's tags.  You are batting 1.000!  Unless you want to search for players that don't read wav tags, you are fine.

On 4/9/2018 at 12:41 AM, GUTB said:

When I rip a CD on my el-cheapo USB burner, the software lets me know how many sectors failed, how many needed to be re-ripped, checks the rip database and gives me a confidence score. It successfully reads sectors over 90% the time. There may be a few failed sectors across the entire CD.

If I extrapolate that level of performance than it would at the very least be almost as good as a gigantic Wadia, Metrenome, CEC, Esoteric, etc. Maybe there would be some of glitch once or twice an album but otherwise they would perform the same. The problem is...that’s obviously not true. Those companies developed massive, highly engineered transport mechanisms, reading software and buffer technologies to improve performance. There are performance gains to be realized over my $50 plastic cdrw.

like i said, i bought a cdrw that was near the top of the list (world wide) for under $30.