IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Just an update:  I checked under advanced device settings and I have "Enable MQA Core Decoder" set to 'off' as well, so apparently Roon is ignoring settings and decoding MQA now matter what.  Now why would they do that?  Another "bug" (an example:  up until the most recent update MQA was privileged over the equivalent or better Hi Res from Qobuz) that just happens to go MQA's way?  

Anyone else with Roon and a non-MQA DAC who can correlate this behavior?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Many, many members are still curious about the hundreds of people you talked to and your journal entries about their HiFi Habits, not to mention your career as a mathematician, or graduate background in that area.

I promise, it really is easy to strike up a conversation about audio systems just about anywhere. (Or Jeeps, or computers, or good places to eat.) 

But, here we go again... "many, many, members"?  Want to share the names of your mysterious behind the scenes clique? I and I expect many others, would find it very questionable that many, many members are that interested in me or what I have to say. Sounds like a puffed up small group of people trying to impress themselves with their own importance. 

The subject is simple- is MQA gaining more acceptance, or is it losing approval?

Everything I see, more and more announcements, more articles accepting it, more articles questioning it, more people trying it, and more people apparently interested in it.

That does not reflect my personal opinion.

More telling, I see no compelling evidence on the other side, except for the "passionate" opinions here. (Well, the financials are really helpful, but it is a dang startup, and it can be drawing money from elsewhere.) There is plenty of evidence that MQA is not what it is marketed as, and that it has inferior technical specs. 

There is also plenty of evidence that it sounds better to a goodly number of people. Both in the press and in personal interactions. 

I cordially invite anyone to take the action recommended in the first sentence of this reply.  Just talk to your local friends and see how they feel, if nothing else. 

Surely you talk to your friends, right?  Pick up the phone and ask them --  if you can't meet them for a beer or coffee. 

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

26 minutes ago, crenca said:

Just an update:  I checked under advanced device settings and I have "Enable MQA Core Decoder" set to 'off' as well, so apparently Roon is ignoring settings and decoding MQA now matter what.  Now why would they do that?  Another "bug" (an example:  up until the most recent update MQA was privileged over the equivalent or better Hi Res from Qobuz) that just happens to go MQA's way?  

Anyone else with Roon and a non-MQA DAC who can correlate this behavior?

Out of curiosity, what happens if you set the MQA Capabilities to "Decoder and Renderer" while keeping the Enable MQA Core Decoder set to "No"?

mQa is dead!

3 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Out of curiosity, what happens if you set the MQA Capabilities to "Decoder and Renderer" while keeping the Enable MQA Core Decoder set to "No"?

I think the DAC capabilities take precedence.  I have your exact settings on this DAC, and this is what it reports. I am unclear if the DAC is unfolding any further though. 

1183887836_ScreenShot2019-05-04at10_51_24PM.thumb.png.da5e5c2fb807be17e6f0052e52c5979a.png

Robert A. Heinlein

40 minutes ago, crenca said:

Just an update:  I checked under advanced device settings and I have "Enable MQA Core Decoder" set to 'off' as well, so apparently Roon is ignoring settings and decoding MQA now matter what.  Now why would they do that?

What makes you think Roon is doing this? Does your DAC show incoming sample rate to confirm this?

47 minutes ago, Paul R said:

I think the DAC capabilities take precedence.  I have your exact settings on this DAC, and this is what it reports. I am unclear if the DAC is unfolding any further though.

Can you log into the microrendu and see what it reports?  And the DAC attached to the microrendu, what does it display/report?

I have a similar path and the signal is sent bit-perfect to my DAC (per the DAC's display):

image.png.6f57aa055e83e7f082bf3965d5b4aeed.png

mQa is dead!

Not a lot of access to the DAC, though the LEDs say it is getting MQA. 

The MicroRendu appears to think it is sending bit perfect 24/48K data to the DAC. I think that makes sense, since all the MQA processing in Roon is turned off. 

I could easily be wrong here though. The uRendu and the iFi iDSD Micro BL do not allow a lot of access. 

-Paul 

1835266920_ScreenShot2019-05-05at12_53_47AM.thumb.png.f5331174b956aa2bdefa298c96305740.png

Robert A. Heinlein

2 hours ago, Paul R said:

Not a lot of access to the DAC, though the LEDs say it is getting MQA. 

The MicroRendu appears to think it is sending bit perfect 24/48K data to the DAC. I think that makes sense, since all the MQA processing in Roon is turned off. 

I could easily be wrong here though. The uRendu and the iFi iDSD Micro BL do not allow a lot of access. 

The iFi DACs (other than the recently released Pro) do not support full MQA decoding, only "rendering." What firmware version do you have on yours?

On 5/2/2019 at 10:39 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Netflix is going up to 640Kbps for audio and says that is perceptually lossless. So much for that market for high resolution, at least when it comes to video. 

https://www.wired.com/story/netflix-adaptive-audio/

Interesting.

Of the Big 5 in streaming (not just music - Netflix, Amazon, Google, Spotify, Apple) Netflix now offer the best audio sound quality with this change.

I've converted many of my CD's into 320 kbps AAC to go into my Apple iCloud Music Library for mobile listening (in parallel to Apple Music) and they sound fantastic.

I don't know of any way to convert to 640 kbps otherwise I would try and have a listen to compare with the RBCD versions. iTunes and XLD converter are limited to 320 kbps for conversion.

3 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Interesting.

Of the Big 5 in streaming (not just music - Netflix, Amazon, Google, Spotify, Apple) Netflix now offer the best audio sound quality with this change.

I've converted many of my CD's into 320 kbps AAC to go into my Apple iCloud Music Library for mobile listening (in parallel to Apple Music) and they sound fantastic.

I don't know of any way to convert to 640 kbps otherwise I would try and have a listen to compare with the RBCD versions. iTunes and XLD converter are limited to 320 kbps for conversion.

Netflix would be doing multi channel in that bitrate not 2 channel.  5.1 at least maybe more.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

1 hour ago, kumakuma said:

The "many, many members" part was an obvious dig at another member who often uses this kind of hyperbole to justify his claims.

You may not have gotten the joke but there are hundreds of thousands of members of this forum who did.  👺

Perhaps that number is somewhat inflated?  🎣?

The only way to know is if people get out and actually ask people what they feel about MQA. To real live people, not screens.  Might actually have to explain to real people face to face why it isn't a good idea to support MQA then. Much harder than sniping online. 

Robert A. Heinlein

7 hours ago, mansr said:

The iFi DACs (other than the recently released Pro) do not support full MQA decoding, only "rendering." What firmware version do you have on yours?

5.30C,  10 Sep 2018.  It is supposed to support full MQA decoding, same as on the Pro.  iDSD Micro BL. 

Robert A. Heinlein

6 hours ago, firedog said:

I have about 3 audiophile friends who are aware what DSD and MQA are, but none of them listen to either.
No one else I know has any awareness of MQA or even DSD. Both are tiny niche of niche of niche markets known only to the types of people who frequent audiophile forums. 

Ah, thank you.  If I may ask, do you interact with them in audio surroundings, like at an audio store or convention, or at other places? (Bars, restaurants, home, etc?)  

Robert A. Heinlein