IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

3 hours ago, Albrecht said:

Hello....

MQA is the veritable essence of USA consumerism. (I am not defending MQA,  - it is horrible). But MQA is very typical. As it goes also with this forum, - evidence is pushed back into the realm of cult-of-personality fascism. Hopefully,- you have just as much hostility towards Bank of America, General Dynamics, Goldman Sachs, etc. etc.

Good post, good question.

yes, absolutely I do not do business with BOA, GS, or GD...I consider them all, along with GE, to be criminal organizations. 

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Exactly. 

Yet people like @ARQuint think we are all a bunch crazies and he needs to come back here to do the heavy lifting of defending MQA. How do I know? He, on more than one occasion, has accidentally sent an email rather than responding to a PM from another member. These emails appear in my inbox with his unfiltered thoughts about us. 

The old guard never ceases to amaze me. 

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Given the totality of the circumstances and looking at the evidence as a whole, yes that's what I see. 

Personal attacks aren't allowed here, but I'm beginning to think some people like them because then they have an excuse to continue the bickering. I act on all reported posts and I haven't seen a post reported for being personal in a long time. 

Sure Bob's circumstances are unknown, but that doesn't really matter when it comes to rendering an opinion about MQA and his actions as a steward of the technology. 

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Given your most recent accidental email, I'd say you really love to stoke the fire but are hiding behind your civility request. 

I'm all for being civil. Just not hypocrisy. 

Seems to me that you are being heavy-handed here. If I had accidentally sent you a PM intended of someone else and was indulging in a bit of private venting, I'd hope for a heads up about my mistake, especially if I were a known person professionally connected to the industry.  To simply allude to the content of those posts and claim they are hypocritical? How can anyone disagree or offer a different interpretation? If any privately expressed criticism is considered "uncivil" and therefore hypocritical of someone who has supported civility, there would be no civility supporters left, including yourself.

"Personal attacks aren't allowed here"...except when they are, which is not infrequent. This does not bode well.  It appears you've been drinking some of crenca's kool-aid.

1 minute ago, christopher3393 said:

Seems to me that you are being heavy-handed here. If I had accidentally sent you a PM intended of someone else and was indulging in a bit of private venting, I'd hope for a heads up about my mistake, especially if I were a known person professionally connected to the industry.  To simply allude to the content of those posts and claim they are hypocritical? How can anyone disagree or offer a different interpretation? If any privately expressed criticism is considered "uncivil" and therefore hypocritical of someone who has supported civility, there would be no civility supporters left, including yourself.

"Personal attacks aren't allowed here"...except when they are, which is not infrequent. This does not bode well.  It appears you've been drinking some of crenca's kool-aid.

"Seems to me that you are being heavy-handed here"...

You have some serious Chutzpah. 

27 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I have a question for you Rohde & Schwarz or Audio Precision? Here was my response to Andy January 2, 2019.

I find it endlessly amusing that people like more processing of their music at the magazines like DSD and MQA.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. Rohde & Schwarz or Audio Precision?  Processing of their music at the magazines? I’m guessing that the answer to the original question is no but that might not be your answer? Only you know for certain. 

26 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

If I had accidentally sent you a PM intended of someone else and was indulging in a bit of private venting, I'd hope for a heads up about my mistake

Good, it wasn’t you who sent it, so we are still ok. 

27 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

especially if I were a known person professionally connected to the industry.

This is very strange to me as I couldn’t care less who the person is or thinks he is. 

28 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

How can anyone disagree or offer a different interpretation?

Very easy and it has already been done by the person who sent the email. 

30 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

If any privately expressed criticism is considered "uncivil" and therefore hypocritical of someone who has supported civility, there would be no civility supporters left, including yourself.

If my aunt was a man she’d be my uncle. That’s a big if that is far from the facts in this case. 

31 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Personal attacks aren't allowed here"...except when they are, which is not infrequent. This does not bode well.  It appears you've been drinking some of crenca's kool-aid.

You haven’t reported any recently and neither have other participants. This bodes well. 

@crenca‘s kool-aid? 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@crenca‘s kool-aid? 

Hey @Rt66indierock, the finger wagging church lady's are attempting to derail your thread again.  Civility my b&^t

Speaking for me, myself and that other guy, I'm much more like the Stay Puft Marshmallow man than Mr. Kool-aid.  That's why finger wagging church lady's are so enamored with me.   I'm the bad boy they can't have, or ever be like, and who brings out strong and passionate....feelings that they feel shame for and go about suppressing in really public and obvious ways.  It's ok, they can't help themselves 😋

Related image

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

4 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

If Chris won't here is a personal favorite of mine.

“Is there ever an equipment review, interview, or technical article in Stereophile or TAS that you find informative or entertaining?” Andy Quint to me in a December 31, 2018 email.

All that does is lump him in with quite a few of the posters in this thread who don't trust the integrity of the Hi Fi publications..

I hope that such opinions don't also include Chris, as he IS also a Journalist these days !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

All that does is lump him in with quite a few of the posters in this thread who don't trust the integrity of the Hi Fi publications..

I hope that such opinions don't also include Chris, as he IS also a Journalist these days !

See my response to David, I'm a measure first listen second person. 

And journalism died in the United States with Duke Lacrosse quite awhile ago.

2 minutes ago, esldude said:

Well that is predated by the Gulf of Tonkin journalism in the Vietnam police action. 

Which is predated by William Randolph Hearst's and Josef Pulitzer's actions reporting on events prior to the Spanish-American war.  Somewhat ironic considering Hearst and Pulitzer are the people who caused the term "yellow journalism" to first be used.  Yet we have the Pulitzer awards for investigative journalism.  

I'm sure if one keeps looking those are predated by others.  

Well noted...! Yes, how soon we forget...😯

24 minutes ago, esldude said:

Well that is predated by the Gulf of Tonkin journalism in the Vietnam police action. 

Which is predated by William Randolph Hearst's and Josef Pulitzer's actions reporting on events prior to the Spanish-American war.  Somewhat ironic considering Hearst and Pulitzer are the people who caused the term "yellow journalism" to first be used.  Yet we have the Pulitzer awards for investigative journalism.  

I'm sure if one keeps looking those are predated by others.  

Yep.  We went through a perceived (but only perceived) era of journalism being respectable, mostly reliable, helpful, "informative", and the like.  Walter Cronkite and the 60-80's, even through 90's is more or less this era's symbol/time period.  Fortunately (though there is much grief and nostalgia for this recent era -this false belief we have "lost" something in our society) whether we watch CNN or FOX, most of us now understand that what we are getting is bias, agenda, and and $sells$ (eyes on adds, etc.) via emotional manipulation.  

Interestingly and actually on topic, the "Old Guard" and their followers were formed during this very period...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Nothing dies with a single incident, except Michael Richards’ career. Just like the use of the word “killer” never accurately describes the new product that’s supposed to kill the existing one. 

Stuart Taylor, K. C. Johnson, me and couple others figured out Duke Lacrosse was a hoax almost immediately. 

But let's get back to talking about distribution channels for music failing and what it means for MQA Ltd. issuing press releases about signing with a company whose revenue is declining and just settled a class action lawsuit with David Lowery of one my favorite bands Cracker, RealNetworks subsidiary  Rhapsody International (Napster).  Or watching 7digital scramble to survive.  The those are the turnkey  options for anyone wanting to stream music and both are crippled. The poor financial condition of 7digital was obvious to everyone who could analyze  financial information  but the audio press couldn't do the simple research to confirm that and blindly wrote that 7digital and MQA would power HDStreaming.  It seems to be a little late to be thinking about starting a streaming service in 2019.

Or maybe talk about the Availability Cascade MQA Ltd created with the help of Stereophile and The Absolute Sound to give the impression audiophiles care about MQA when there was no music to buy or stream. 

Finally if people have to derail the thread for a bit, I got to play a 1930's National resonator guitar last Wednesday night. An incredible experience.

3 hours ago, daverich4 said:

I have no idea what you’re talking about. Rohde & Schwarz or Audio Precision?  Processing of their music at the magazines? I’m guessing that the answer to the original question is no but that might not be your answer? Only you know for certain. 

I'm talking about audio analyzers to measure equipment.  John Atkinson (Stereophile) and Amirm (Audio Science Review) use Audio Precision analyzers for example. I have access to a Rohde & Schwarz analyzer. Measure first.

As for the magazines don't you find it entertaining they promote hi-res and their reviewers don't have amps quiet enough to resolve CD quality files?

7 hours ago, esldude said:

Come on Paul, your post is an attempt to muddy the water, and the water is otherwise very clear. 

I'd be convinced if a journalist expressed an off hours opinion perhaps.  When he parrots what we already know to be disinformation his employer is known to be engaged in then it only convinces me the lack of credibility is deeper than I may have expected. 

I seems kinda murky in those depths to me, but you probably do see something I don't. I like your previous post a lot. :)

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

6 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

There seems to be no depths to which this lackey for MQA will not stoop.  Scroggie was a much better shill as he was polite (up until his final post).

Oh, have a virtual beer or three on me.  You have been drinking way too much Kool Aid if you think that. 

If I were a shill, I fancy I would be a great one. Though, my father would rise from his grave and come hunting me if I would ever do such a thing! 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

3 hours ago, Paul R said:

For some reason, I keep losing the answer to this, so I am typing it in Word instead of online. 

The question of whether it is ethical to use the same techniques to boost someone’s credit is a much more difficult question than when they are used to discredit someone. The best answer I can return is that it is different – motivation being the deciding factor. 

Moreover, usually, the motivation is driven by bias. Something all audiophiles have heard a lot about over the past decade or so. 

Now, I agree with @Albrecht ‘s well-spoken post #14424. Here’s my version of the logic. 

A journalist is going to be biased. It is just a factor he or she needs to consider in their reporting.

Two great questions about any story: 

• “Did the reporter only pursue information that confirms his bias?” 
  • “Did the reporter overcome his preconceptions to find new information?” 

Both of these questions are paraphrased from Paul Taylor when he was the Chief Political Correspondent at the Philadelphia Inquirer. The issue is, of course, they apply only to factual reporting. 

By any conceivable standard, at least any I can think of, an audio review is an opinion. 

Stereophile, at least under John Atkinson, backed up almost every review with facts. Sometimes the measurement results disagreed with the reviewer. Sometimes Atkinson disagreed with the reviewer. They accurately reported those incidents. 

In terms of ethics, style, objectivity, and commitment - I think that is well above and beyond reproach. 

However, a column or standalone review by any reviewer is a forum to present their opinion on what they heard. The same is true even if the subject is MQA. 

I think it is ludicrous to ascribe positive reviews of MQA to some conspiracy. I am picking on Stereophile here, but why would Art Dudley for instance, say he was impressed and excited about MQA if he wasn’t? Do you think that MQA is paying him for a useful review? 

I don’t know the man personally, but having read him in two publications for decades, I suspect such an attempt would result in a column that would blister the paint off the walls if you read it out loud. If anything, Mikey Fremer would probably be even more outspoken. 

Now the converse, are the tactics being used here to discredit the three people I mentioned?

Yep, surely they are. Same for Bob Stuart, who is not a nefarious, evil bastard. 

Chris is usually the most even-tempered moderator. But he is quite clearly pissed about all this. The OP has an agenda to grind, and bias he is not even trying to check. 

To me, there is a considerable disconnect somewhere.

I don't think there is literally a conspiracy. I think it's an example of group think and bias among a certain population with lots of similarities among the members, and lots of known reasons and also expectation bias type reasons to like MQA. 

What's VERY true is that there has been little attempt to "test" the claims coming from MQA or "overcome ...preconceptions to find new information" as you mentioned in your post as a standard.
Most of what's been written in the audio press about MQA consists of unchallenged paraphrasing or even direct use of MQA sourced descriptions and definitions of what MQA is/does. Often sounding more like an MQA press release than a  "review". 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)