IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Yeh - huge market in Kemmerer

I don't live in Kemmerer, it's a good ways from here. But you might be surprised, there are at least two, maybe three audiophiles in that area, though I only met one. He saw the Soundkeepers sticker on the back of my Jeep. What else are they going to do? Shop at J.C. Penny's? Which, by the way, checking out the history of is a very cool way to spend a couple hours. Thank you my audiophile friend. :)

So assuming you live in a huge urban area, how many people have you talked to face to face about audio in the past six months?  

And what did they think about computers and audio, or specifically about MQA and audio?  

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

6 hours ago, lucretius said:

I keep hearing that. That may be true at home and maybe even at the office.  But what about the shopping mall,  the coffee shop, airports, public buildings, schools, etc.? The bandwidth can be pretty bad.

6 hours ago, mansr said:

My 4G phone usually gets 100-200 Mbps in populated areas.

Not everybody uses a 4G phone to listen to Audio. There are STILL many countries and semi rural areas where Internet is damn slow, including the service we currently have here via the National Broadband Network which for the most part uses FTN, and replaces sloooow ADSL .

We currently peak at 2.8Mbps whereas a  previous service in Sydney via Optical cable nudged 100Mbps with speed tests, but not real live traffic.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

36 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

losslessly compressed redbook is the obvious audiophile choice if possible, because it's lossless and uses less bandwidth than high-res or MQA.

How much size difference will there be between a compressed 24/48 file and a compressed 16/44.1 file?

36 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

If high-res is desired, and somehow possible, in a lower-bandwidth situation, then 24/48 FLAC still is more feasible than MQA.

I'm not following here.  The MQA on Tidal is either a from a 24/48 file or from a 24/44.1 file.

mQa is dead!

6 hours ago, Paul R said:

What evidence do you have that MQA is being rejected by the much larger set of audiophiles who are not online here?  I would be glad to see contradicting evidence. So far, not seen much. 

Evidence from the MQA Ltd website indicating people are rejecting MQA. There are less than fifty companies with MQA products. Then you get to how you listen to files processed by MQA Ltd. In the United States Tidal, Onkyo Music and Nugs.net allow you to purchase or stream MQA files. It is unclear how you get 2L MQA files since their music is distributed on sites that don’t sell MQA files in the US. Deezer is listed as a streaming service with MQA but a quick look at their website only shows CD quality streaming available.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

NO ! By far the best choice in this situation is to Download  genuine hi res recordings and save them for more than likely technically and audibly superior listening sessions than most streaming services are capable of,without paying for the same music over and over again  ! :D

This thread isn't just about streaming MQA, it's about MQA in general, including downloads and physical media.

Well, okay, sure - no disagreement there.

2 minutes ago, lucretius said:

How is that? A 24/48 PCM file compresses just the same as a 24/48 MQA file.

Yes, that is technically correct, but an 18-bit PCM file could contain as much or more musical data than a decoded 24-bit MQA file.  Why not use PCM and save the rain forests?  

1 hour ago, Les Habitants said:

Not sure how anyone could know if you are referring to Pono as a failure (it was), or "Phono" based on your cryptic reference to both there.

I can probably recommend some community colleges in your area, call their English department and ask for help.

What an inane and malicious comment - the original reference was to "Pono" - but it spelling corrected to "Phono." Intentionally misunderstanding? 

I know some nuns who would probably take you on as a charity case - you obviously are sorely in need. At least you know the difference between "there" and "their." 

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

31 minutes ago, lucretius said:

How is that? A 24/48 PCM file compresses just the same as a 24/48 MQA file.

18 minutes ago, Sonicularity said:

Yes, that is technically correct....

Is it?  I thought MQA is not nearly as compressible (i.e. non-lossy, FLAC, etc.) as the 24/48...due to the folded HF being non conducive to compression...going from memory here

edit:  see #3 and 4 in the last section here:  https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55970-mqa-technically-exposed/

because of this preexisting compression, FLAC is simply not as effective and so MQA is a 'tweener' in size (i.e. between 24/48 and 24/96 PCM)

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

42 minutes ago, Les Habitants said:

I can imagine it, you just like to hear yourself talk (and you imagine that others like it too), the purpose being to enhance that legend in your own mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znodcpMzcnA

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 hours ago, Sonicularity said:

Yes, that is technically correct, but an 18-bit PCM file could contain as much or more musical data than a decoded 24-bit MQA file.  Why not use PCM and save the rain forests?  

I agree.  But in the end, Bob Stuart's argument is about psychoacoustics; however, as far as I'm concerned, he has not made a compelling case.

mQa is dead!

2 hours ago, crenca said:

Is it?  I thought MQA is not nearly as compressible (i.e. non-lossy, FLAC, etc.) as the 24/48...due to the folded HF being non conducive to compression...going from memory here

edit:  see #3 and 4 in the last section here:  https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55970-mqa-technically-exposed/

because of this preexisting compression, FLAC is simply not as effective and so MQA is a 'tweener' in size (i.e. between 24/48 and 24/96 PCM)

MQA is not a file format nor a compression scheme.  All MQA does is play with the bits.  An MQA'd track can exist in any lossless file format you choose.  If it be a flac file with compression, then the compression scheme will not be partial to whether there are any "MQA" bits or not.    

mQa is dead!

1 minute ago, lucretius said:

MQA is not a file format nor a compression scheme.

It is an encoding (audio codec), and yes it is a compression scheme - even if it is one obscured in a black box proprietary software.  Also, for practical purposes MQA is a "file format", again one that is black boxed and has a freemium PCM aspect.

4 minutes ago, lucretius said:

An MQA'd track can exist in any lossless file form you choose.

Not really relevant - it is a black boxed compression scheme that does not compress very much at all

6 minutes ago, lucretius said:

If it be a flac file with compression, then the compression scheme will not be partial to whether there are any "MQA" bits or not.    

Incorrect.  MQA has aspects (it's already compressed, etc.) that makes it different from standard PCM.  See the tech post I referenced above.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!