IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

30 minutes ago, mav52 said:

70 years old in Syria

Quite sad.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

10 minutes ago, Shadders said:

There are 1 million people in the UK using food banks.

To be quite fair, this is not exactly the core demographic of the high end audio hobby.

Besides that, I doubt if MQA "ruled the world" that there would be any sort of 2-tiered system as the goal. As I pointed out previously, at that stage monopoly prices could be charged for MQA without making unadulterated Redbook or hi res available at all.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

9 minutes ago, Jud said:

To be quite fair, this is not exactly the core demographic of the high end audio hobby.

Besides that, I doubt if MQA "ruled the world" that there would be any sort of 2-tiered system as the goal. As I pointed out previously, at that stage monopoly prices could be charged for MQA without making unadulterated Redbook or hi res available at all.

Hi,

Everyone has the right to enjoy music at a high standard. It should not only be for the rich. Good luck to you if you have a lot of money.

There is a proposed one format that is only available - MQA. I do not see why they would not implement a tiered system. You already acknowledge "high end" is not for the poor. So why not music too - MP3 or AM radio quality for those with basic income, and MQA full for those who have high end systems - the rich.

The aim of MQA Ltd is to extract as much money as possible from as many people as possible - tiered system is a way of doing that. That is why they charge higher price for high resolution downloads. If it was one size fits all, then everyone would be getting MQA high resolution.

Regards,

Shadders.

1 hour ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

In the MQA Ltd and Meridian Ltd patents, MQA has the future capability to degrade music and ensure that one album/song can only be played on one device.

The problem with your statement is that MQA locks out small audio hifi design business - they will have to pay the MQA tax and possibly onerous development costs.

So MQA Ltd could implement a draconian system that costs more to remove the degradation, and even more to allow it to play on more than one device.

That that is simply a dystopian view that will never come to pass. It has been tried time and time and time again. Always failed, always will. 

That’s because there are simply too many people who don’t care about music or audio or audio gear the way audiophiles do. 

But audiophiles in general have more higher income and more discretionary income to spend.  They will always represent a lucrative and high profit margin market. Save for automobiles and art collectors, few groups spend as much money on non essentials as audiophiles do.

That in fact, is the only leverage that audiophiles have in this fight period. And with the bad attitude you and others present to the rest of the world, you are gonna loose.

Your last statement maybe shows your attitude towards others. What is "beer money" for you, is significant for others. Here in the UK the median wage is £28k ($36.5k). When you see the costs of housing, energy, food and all the other costs, then £28k is not sufficient to have a basic standard of living. There are 1 million people in the UK using food banks.

You assumed a lot there.  “Beer money” is slang for insignificant discretionary funds. Of course that is different for everyone, but it is stupid to assume it says anything about how I or anyone else view people in general.  If someone one can not afford a beer, then choosing to spend the price of a beer on a CD is stupid. If they can afford a beer, then choosing to buy the CD instead of a beer is something also.

Probably a wise choice. At least you won’t just literally piss away the cost of the CD. YMMV. 

“Beer money” to *me*, is an LP or CD find at the thrift shop for $1. Or a box of CDs or albums at a garage sale for $5. Or indeed, about the cost of a beer. 

In audiophile terms, Nobody *needs* oh, $40,000 speakers driven by $30,000 amps, connected by $20,000 cables, driven by a source which is a $15,000 DAC, connected to a $25/month streaming music service. But if someone wants that, and can afford it, more power to ‘em. If they feel they must have it or they can’t enjoy music any longer, then that is what we call a first world problem 

That kind of stuff is not beer money to me, but it is to someone else. Else they would use it to put a couple kids through college.  But that crowd is going to be willing to pay for Non-MQA, and the market will service them. MQA will never be that dystopian future some here fear; there just is far too much money to be made. So fhe dystopian future is just scare tactics, and provides excitement for some.

Another way of saying that? People who choose audio and music as their hobby are far from stupid, and as a group command outsized financial resources in relation to their population size. 

Me personally? Heck  $2k for a turntable is an unjustifiable expense for *me*, save there is still enough cheap old vinyl out there to satisfy my music collecting hobby. without spending  more than I can afford. In other words, $70 for a 180g pressing of an album might be beer money for someone else, just not for me. 

Besides, when the hipsters tire of vinyl and move on, all those 180g pressings will be rich pickings at flea markets and thrift stores. Digitizing all those finds is a ton of fun and very rewarding too.

None of that, or my existing digital collection of about 4000 albums, or years worth of recordings I made and still have to digitize, will ever be locked in by a DAC that requires MQA to sound good. You guys do not seem to realize that. Nor will Non-MQA new releases ever stop being available. At the worst DACs are not that hard to build in a garage. 

Regards,

Shadders.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

6 minutes ago, mansr said:

The difference with a tiered decoder is that you can copy (pirate) the files, but you still have to buy a licensed decoder to unlock the full quality. In a sense, they are already pushing this with MQA. You can listen without a decoder, with "core" decoding only using licensed software, or with full decode/render which also requires licensed hardware. The last step is fake, as we know, but they are still selling the idea that it is better.

And we don't have more expensive DACs being sold on the promise that they'll get you better sound quality right now?

Again, MQA is plainly not necessary for pricing purposes in what is already a monopoly situation.  ( @wgscott used to have a great Hunter Thompson quote about the music industry, which I can't remember now, in his sig.) It allows two things: (1) The industry to think, or at least claim, it is doing something about piracy; (2) marketing something as hi res that isn't.

6 minutes ago, mansr said:

With MQA it does, what with them being part owners of the company.

You are not saying that MQA since the manufacturers bought the secret sauce and paid MQA the fee to use it are part owner of the manufacturing company of the audio component ? 

The Truth Is Out There

18 minutes ago, mansr said:

The difference is that none of the money spent on an expensive non-MQA DAC goes to the music labels. With MQA it does, what with the labels being part owners of the MQA company.

True enough, but I seriously doubt with the number of high end DACs sold that this would even pay for the pool at a music company VP's vacation home in Barbados.

A better play would be to try to get it into AV receivers and especially phones, but good luck convincing consumers they need it either of those places.

52 minutes ago, mansr said:

The difference is that none of the money spent on an expensive non-MQA DAC goes to the music labels. With MQA it does, what with the labels being part owners of the MQA company.

That may be a difference that is no difference at all really.

Does it effectively matter if a label collects their “pound of flesh” from the cost of a 24/192k download, or from a MQA license? I guess that depends more on who wins the internal battle at the label  - Corp execs who are  accountants or  Corp execs who are lawyers.  (No insult to any audiophile lawyers! Completely different breed of cat!) 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

4 minutes ago, mansr said:

Labels have an irrational fear of piracy. MQA can be perceived as a remedy for this, just as the stupid levy on blank CDs some countries have.

All I know, a record label will make their money from someone, be it the artist, the streaming company and the customer who pays them all.  And I agree the label will protect ( via DRM) that incoming dollar any way they can.

The Truth Is Out There