IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

4 hours ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

If you examine Kim Dot Com and Megaupload - this business was closed down and the person responsible was prosecuted.

Any such system such as a peer to peer file sharing will be disrupted at least, by the authorities.

If you look at streaming - i do not see the artists getting a lot of money per stream or track played. Was it not the case that the artists complained about not getting the revenue they perceived that they should receive.

Also, see :

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/26/how-spotify-apple-music-can-pay-musicians-more-commentary.html

Only the very big artists get a significant revenue, and payments to the artist per stream is exceedingly low at $0.006 to $0.0084 per stream to the holder of music rights. So the artist gets a cut of this. 

So, unless streaming raises their prices significantly (Spotify, for example, is still losing money, despite growing 40 percent a year.) then the streaming and artists are still not making much money.

Why the record labels sell the catalogue so cheaply is unknown - if Spotify cannot make money at the current costs, then the labels are not really making money from streaming. Unless the costs increase significantly - which would kill the streaming business model ?

In regards to MQA - the major labels are all shareholders. There are patents owned by MQA Ltd and Meridian (just under 50% owned by Reinet Investments) which could be used to restrict MQA files to specific devices (streaming, downloads)

Streaming seems to be killing the purchase of CD's. Which means that if streaming/downloads are the main music playback source, then the patents could restrict the number of devices people could playback music on. Such control means that one file can only be played on one device. If you want to play the song on another device you need to purchase the song again.

In the UK, the law was changed to allow you to rip CD's etc., for your own purposes - to play on portable music players as an example. The Music Union campaigned and had the law overturned.

So, the point is, streaming means that the labels/artists get less revenue, MQA offers a DRM technology to allow strict control by the record labels, and any large scale alternative method to subvert this would be met with legal action and the closure of such a method.

Streaming may be cheap now, but when such a mechanism is in place (MQA DRM), then i expect the price to increase significantly as total control will be possible.

Maybe everyone is shooting themselves in the foot by subscribing to streaming, at such a low cost. I do not see the record labels losing money so graciously - once MQA is embedded in most devices, they can switch on DRM. Maybe this will create a renaissance for CD's as per LP's ?

Regards,

Shadders.

Well thought out, with lots of good points.

My thought is that in the unlikely case of MQA being embedded in most devices *and* DRM is universally switched on, someone will put a reverse engineered MQA decoder in front of the device and stream non MQA data to it.  

Until enough home brew devices without MQA get out there again. Or a converter to strip out the MQA. And the thriving indie market will flourish even more. 

Oh, maybe one of the guys here will become the Al Capone of audiophiles, with MQA being equivalent to Prohibition? Bathtubs full of illegal flash drives, and cement boots for record company execs? 🤪

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

16 hours ago, Paul R said:

I am going to step in to answer this, at least for myself.  

Fighting MQA does not f'ing matter, not in the least. MQA has zero chance of creating a corporate lock on the audiophile community, and even less so on the general music loving Apple Music subscribing populace. Zero point zero zero zero for as long as you want to keep repeating zeros. 

Which is why the heat, and the hating, and general un-civil behavior is less than useless from the opposition. If anything, it is helping MQA. Any publicity is good publicity, remember? 

And when you put it in perspective, it is a first world problem. One that is not worth fighting over. No babies being killed here, no puppies being drowned, not even any Klingon Puppies around to chew on things.  

If someone likes MQA, more power to them. If someone does like it, there is again, zero chance that the only music you will be able to buy, stream, or listen to is going to be in MQA format.  That makes it no more important that one person liking Jazz, and another thinking Jazz is going to take over the world, and the only music you will ever be able to listen to is Jazz.  

(shrug) 

-Paul 

Paul, this is an excellent post,  I am here simply expressing an opinion in favor of MQA based on listening sessions of non-MQA and MQA files on my own system.  I am not paid or otherwise remunerated by the MQA.  I just think there is some value to the format both in terms of sound quality and the possibility of getting even more hirez files out of the labels.

My "megaphone" in the market is too small to influence a large number of people to be either for MQA or against it.

The future of MQA is more likely to be decided by participants in their ecosystem, such as streaming services and automotive firms.

One observation, though, is that personal attacks against me are not only unnecessary but take away from any valid points you are making in the argument.

6 minutes ago, Paul R said:

My thought is that in the unlikely case of MQA being embedded in most devices *and* DRM is universally switched on, someone will put a reverse engineered MQA decoder in front of the device and stream non MQA data to it.  

Until enough home brew devices without MQA get out there again. Or a converter to strip out the MQA. And the thriving indie market will flourish even more. 

That would be illegal without a patent licence, which you wouldn't get.

4 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Well thought out, with lots of good points.

My thought is that if the unlikely case of MQA being embedded in most devices *and* DRM is universally switched on, someone will put a reverse engineered MQA decoder in front of the device and stream non MQA data to it.  

Oh, maybe one of the guys here will become the Al Capone of audiophiles, with MQA being equivalent to Prohibition? Bathtubs full of illegal flash drives, and cement boots for record company execs? 🤪

Hi,

The latest £295 Pro-Ject DAC has MQA embedded. I think this is by virtue of the ESS DAC IC's used - but could be wrong.

https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/pre-box-s2-digital/

ESS have added MQA decode to their DAC IC's - depending on the version.

LG added MQA to their phones - not all though.

If they switch to MQA only streaming or downloads - people will not have a choice.

Regards,

Shadders.

5 minutes ago, ralphfcooke said:

Though technically illegal many people  used MP3 codecs before the patent lapsed, with little or no thought as to its legality, and with pretty much no likelihood of investigation, leave alone prosecution

Private individuals could get away with that. If you tried to sell an unlicensed device, you'd be facing legal action very quickly.

2 minutes ago, mansr said:

Private individuals could get away with that. If you tried to sell an unlicensed device, you'd be facing legal action very quickly.

Totally agree, but if the fix can be done in software then it will take very little time to appear, even if some hardware is required

I suspect  some enterprising Chinese company will come up with a low cost solution

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Let's try to keep this one on topic people. 

The ASA thing is on topic and interesting. Thanks for posting.

Chris,

Paul made a valid point about history which looks to be deleted.

I can tell quickly if someone is a serious student of American History by asking two questions.

One where did the Civil War end? Two when did slavery end in Oregon?

Audio history is similar.