IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

4 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

@austinpop and I use SOtM via optical to ER.  In the ER review, he preferred the Melco to the other two switches (when cost is not a factor), so why not try it last in the chain?  Only Uptone says the ER must be last.  I haven't seen anyone test that assertion.

Despite the review becoming TL;DR for many people, there were sooo many things I didn't try or chose to leave out!

Yes, I do think the "best" switch should be last in the chain. I'll try the Melco as the last switch when I get a chance...

4 hours ago, Cipollae said:

Just arrived!  Found this forum after reading Rajiv's excellent review of the iFi Pro iDSD.  As it happens, that is the DAC I recently purchased and I am now thinking of upgrading the power supply.  The Farad Super 3 looks extremely promising (also based on Rajiv's and some other people's reviews here 😃), but I am a little worried the 3A might not be enough - especially since the Pro iDSD comes with a 15V/4A SMPS and iFi suggests a "minimum of 60VA rating".  However, the same goes for Rajiv's Chord TT2 and he seems to be using the Farad without any issues nonetheless.  

Would anyone be willing to comment on whether it might be unwise to go for the Farad?  Would the Paul Hynes SR5 perhaps be a safer option?  Or am I being overcautious because the Pro iDSD will never draw 4A with normal use?

Hi, welcome to AS.

This is a very good question, and you're in luck - a local friend of mine has just gone through exactly this thought process with this DAC. He really liked the Farad Super 3 15V driving the Pro iDSD, but then realized how much better it got when we tried my 15V/6A SR-7 rail with it. He ended up getting an SR5-15F which has a 5A continuous/30A transient capacity, and this was a big step up from the Farad.

It's no knock on how good the Farad is - the DAC use case really benefits from current capacity, so the PSU selection process needs to weight current capacity much more in this use case.

51 minutes ago, sbenyo said:

Many great reviews for new 2020 Sablon usb. Anyone compared it to Habst Ultra III or Intona Ultimate?

They are all excellent cables, and honestly the one you prefer comes down to your ears and your system.

I did a comparison of exactly these 3 cables and posted my impressions here: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/sablon-usb-cable-2020-model.29912/post-627980. In my system, I really felt the Sablon's were the best in my system, as I described.

39 minutes ago, limniscate said:

@austinpop and I compared the Sablon to two different Intona cables and a Habst cable, but I'll let him speak to the differences because he probably took notes.

More recently - but before we all went into self-isolation, Eric and I did a comparison in his system. We compared the Habst, Intona Ultimate, and Sablon unpowered between the Zenith SE and tX-USBultra. We kept the second leg from tX-USBultra to the DAC (Ayre QX-5) fixed with a Sablon powered cable.

In this case, we both liked the Habst the best, followed very closely by the Sablon, with the Ultimate much further. The Habst is a little prominent on the low mids and upper bass, but also has a very clean, dense, saturated presentation. The Sablon is actually more balanced, but in this system, we both found the Habst more satisfying.

I suspect in my headphone system, which is so revealing, the smoother signature of the Sablon was why I preferred it over the Habst. It's amazing how system-dependent this stuff is!

4 hours ago, mourip said:

Every time I have introduced/re-introduced fiber into my system in any of a number of possible positions I end up removing it. To be clear I have not tested some of the more advanced fiber options but I just prefer copper ethernet. The combination of the JCAT FEMTO card in my server and the ER set up as recommended has given me the best sound yet. Very natural and realistic sound to my ears.

I have had the same off and on experience with fiber. I currently happen to like it between the sNH-10G and eR, but only after I switched to the Startech - and now Planet Tech - transceivers. Ultimately, you just have to experiment.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

I fully support this fine report.

Coincidentally, the 4GHz is exactly the limit for smooth operation of the EC modulators (DSD) in HQPlayer. 🙂I set my system to 4.1GHz to have some headroom.

Thanks. I’ve been enjoying your build thread - my bad for not mentioning it!

3 hours ago, lmitche said:

It would be good to know not only the OS but also the playback software configuration used in your experiment.

Hi Larry,

Sure. I was running Euphony OS 20200316 in RAM Root, with Stylus as the player. Buffering and caching flags were On.

3 hours ago, lmitche said:

I do wish that we knew what is going on here.

Completely agree.

On 4/21/2020 at 2:01 AM, austinpop said:

I still have a few experiments I want to do with my 8700T server, but after that I'll be done with it, so if anyone has an interest in buying it, PM me. Just know you'll need to separately buy a PSU, or use an existing one.

I'm done with all my experiments, so this 8700T server is up for sale in the Buy/Sell section. PM me if interested.

42 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Oops, I see I missed @austinpop’s post right above Nenon’s about the Buffalo switch. Thank you as well!

I did not notice an increase in harshness deploying the Buffalo where I deployed it..but it replaced a cheap and internal SMPS powered D-Link switch in my case! 😉

That's funny - I had someone else also ask me what I thought of the Buffalo switch, because they missed my post above @Nenon's. :)

3 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

In my experience, identifying sources of harshness is valuable in that it almost always leads to a deeper understanding of and improvement to certain performance aspects of a component. Harshness is a distortion, where certain narrow frequency ranges are overemphasised relative to the rest of the signal. That extra energy comes from somewhere and the most logical place is from the signal itself. A slight loss of detail resolution doesn’t lose that detail’s energy, its still there, just not separated from other parts of the signal, so what you hear is the pure signal, plus the unresolved detail as overlying distortion. The acid test would be a comparison in the absolute high frequency detail level of the 2 switches.....if the S100 seems to have a ‘tick’ more detail, that is where the harshness is coming from. So then the question would be, why does the Buffalo revolve slightly less than the Melco? From the dialog, you mentioned that Nenon had modified the Buffalo, which begs the question how many hours it had to since run in post mods. As we know, components like capacitors and cables take a while and Nenon’s favoured Mundorf Silver/Gold DC cable takes a really long time....like SEVERAL weeks. One of the reasons the switch may have sounded different in your vs. Romaz’s system could be down to the length of time for burn in. I have also found that burn-in isn’t a linear process and that the biggest changes often occur after an extended period of switch-off and cool down.  I often wonder if we don't extend the burn-in time required by leaving things switched on 24x7 instead of constantly putting them through power cycles?  This is of course all pure speculation on my part but it could be a reason. 😗

Roy and I listened to the exact same Buffalo and Melco units. I detached them from my system and shipped them to him. He didn’t subject them to additional hours of burn in before listening.

2 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Are you referring to the capacitors in the Melco SMPS?  The SMPS in the Buffalo got removed in favor of an external LPSU with Nennon's but I believe you kept yours but regulated it.  Forgive me if I'm not accurate, and please clarify.

I also own a modified Buffalo thanks to Nennon.  The firmware out of the box was not current, I updated it.  I'm not sure if @austinpop or anyone knows what the Melco out of the box settings are, but mirroring those on the Buffalo as that switch is highly configurable, should be like for like.  I'm guessing the Melco manual will provide some level of detail.  There are other settings on the switch such as setting it as a layer 2 or layer 3 switch, QoS, and turning off SNMP which could have an influence.

I am still burning mine in and will post impressions in time.

Regarding the settings. I didn’t do careful A/B between settings. I used the following rationale for the settings:

- LLDP OFF - from the Chinese forum

- EEE (802.3az) OFF - inspired by early eR issues with EEE

- APD - looked like another energy management control, so thought it might impact SQ

- flow control (802.3x) ON - I’ve seen this recommended here on AS for years for managed Cisco switches.

Since you have the switch too, please compare these to default settings.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, fpalm69 said:

Before I read through all 655 pages.....

Has anyone been able to improve SQ using a Roon Nucleus and SOtM sMS-200 Neo both attached to the same stock Zyxel switch?  All powered with an HDPlex 200.

I cannot find any info on bridging these two together.

Sorry, I'm not sure what your parameters are.

Are you asking if there is a way to get better SQ without any change of equipment or expenditure? Short answer is - possibly. It depends on whether ROON ROCK now supports bridging across 2 Ethernet interfaces.

Or is it a more aspirational question? Short answer is - YES!