IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

26 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Actually the sCLK-EX can be free standing without an enclosure, as I received mine.  SOtM will afix the board to a 3.5 inch tray.  Once received you can insert the tray into a 3.5 inch HDD enclosure, which I would recommend, but you don't have to.

Yes that’s a good isea as well!

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

Thanks Moussa! I will need to get a firm grip if I want to go down the clock path at all. If I do I will most certainly send May a pm and ask her opinion when I have gained a firm one myself. For the moment I am just interested in it for the ethernet part of my system, but I want the ethernet part of my system to continue to live in its own little isolated world (as much as possible atleast) without sharing noises to the rest of my system. Lately after some more reading/thinking I am actually starting to be a bit sceptical to include the Aqvox switch in the sCLK-EX at all since it is the last device that connectes to my audio gears. My router is communicating with the TP-Link RE450 (wireless adapter) through wifi. The way I see it now is that the clock generator should actually be controlling the router and the wireless adapter only,  optimizing the wireless transmission. Adding sCLK-EZs to these devices will in fact add a possible noise path through the clock ICs. Having a battery powered word clock generator will hopefully limit those noises to a minimum. I think I will actually send BETSO a pm and ask them if their device can be used for this purpose to begin with and in the meantime maybe ask May´s opinion about this path. I might be heading into deep water, but that´s the way I like it! :D 

BTW. I also found this little valuable word clock generator that seems to be possible to run off batteries (9v).

https://www.thomann.de/se/black_lion_audio_micro_clock_mk2.htm?ref=search_rslt_clock+generator_316203_1

8467175_800.thumb.jpg.8aa149e9eb029763ef6d16e72c4d66f7.jpg

Looks like a good starting point as well. :) 

If you go down the sCLK clock, you will be happy with a $20 switch. Also if you are not planning to use the 4 taps of the sCLK clock board, then you are not getting the full value. Feel free to send me a PM anytime.

1 hour ago, mozes said:

If you go down the sCLK clock, you will be happy with a $20 switch. Also if you are not planning to use the 4 taps of the sCLK clock board, then you are not getting the full value. Feel free to send me a PM anytime.

Thanks Moussa! I would be happy to grant that offer. I have some questions about Chord DAC and speakers as well that I am eager to pm you about. ?

🎛️  Audio System  

15 minutes ago, austinpop said:

@Cornan - make sure you have a clear objective in mind wrt clock mods.

Feel free to PM me as well.

Thanks Rajiv! I really appreciate it! Now when my brain suddenly have locked into clocks I feel like a city boy visiting the alphs...or maybe the other way around! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

57 minutes ago, mozes said:

My sCLK-EX server: simply impressive!

I have been thinking of building my own server for a while now, and lately I have been inspired by Roy's post about his low powered server with the sCLK-EX board. Long story short, I decided to build my own server and see what I can accomplish. First, I would like thank and appreciate the contribution of Roy @romazwhose valuable contributions paved the road for my journey. Second, I like to thank @ElviaCaprice who has helped me throughout the build process. In fact, he was behind the concept and I simply implemented many of his ideas. I can't thank him enough! Third, kudos to SOTM and their amazing service, speed and flexibility in just implementing everything I asked them for with top notch workmanship.

A short summary of server:

- Motherboard: Jetway NF596 mini ITX with Intel Celeron Braswell N3160 SOC

- Chassis: Silverstone ML06B

- OS hard drive: 64GB Intel SLC SSD with SOTM SATA II filter

- Data: 2TB 2.5 inch HDD

- sCLK-EX clock board

- Two tX-USBexp cards (one for data HDD and one for DAC)

- Mini PCIe to PCIe adapter (to install the second tX-USBexp card)

Chain:

Server>generic 2M USB cable (I am waiting for a Lush USB to arrive)>tXUSBultra1>Elijah Audio USB (15cm)> tXUSBultra2>Lush USB>DAC

sCLK-EX boards (2)

I had SOTM remove the first sCLK-EX board from one of my tXs and install it inside the server. The 4 clocks are allocated as follows:

Tap 1: tX-USBexp1

Tap 2: tX-USBexp2

Tap 3: Motherboard Master clock

Tap 4: 2 LAN clocks (via bridge)

My second sCLK-EX board (inside the tXUSBultra) now has its clock taps allocated as follows:

Tap 1: tX-USBultra1

Tap 2: tX-USBultra2 (via SMB)

Tap 3: D-Link switch (via SMB)

Tap 4: Asus Wireless bridge (via SMB)

Now my system has full sCLK-EX clocks all the way from the bridge to the DAC. Do you really need 8 clocks? of course not. one sCLK-EX board is enough and would probably give you 90% of the SQ. I felt that the clocking of the wireless bridge and the second tX-USBultra are redundant to some extent, but I did it because I already had the two boards.

It is now a very complicated server especially with power supplies as it needs 4 PSUs:

1-Motherboard ( 12VLifePo4 18AH battery)

2-tXUSBexp1 (LPS-1 7V)

3-tXUSBexp2 (LPS-1 7V)

4-sCLK-EX board (sPS-500 9V)

I can also get all the 3 SOTM components to be powered from a single source with minor moification.

My OS sits on the 64 SLC Intel SSD with SATAII filter and my music is stored on the 2TB HDD connected via USB 3.0 cable and powered by the tX-USBexp card. 

Sound:

This is very rough for now as I just received my gear yesterday and quickly set it up. All the new components and connections will take time to break in and settle. However, from the very first moment, it sounds magical in all aspects, transparency, depth and realism like I have never heard before in my system. I compare this leap to the leap from Brooklyn to Dave. I also believe that I still have a lot of SQ to gain by optimizing my power supplies as I am still powering the motherboard with a LifePO4 battery to be replaced soon by a sPS-500

Image4.thumb.jpg.d9b360d2c056afa20d43bbf129339ea6.jpgImage3.thumb.jpg.8003fa9e74e854e80d7c071cf6e7517d.jpg

Nice, thanks for the pictures.  This gives me some guidance if I ever get enough money to investigate this clock business. :-)  In the meantime, may I ask what the enclosure is?  I've been looking for something with dual expansion slots just like that.

I used Silverstone ML06B but you can use any chassis compatible with mini ITX motherboards. I don’t need SFX PSU so I used the space to mount the sCLK board. One caveat is the gap you end up with, so you need to find or DIY a plate to fill the SFX PSU opening.

45 minutes ago, mozes said:

I forgot to mention that I started with the Iso Regen in the chain and the sound was great. Later in the day, I removed it and the sound opened up with more depth and spatial cues.

My system is now at a level where the IR is the weak link. In the past, the  IR was magical in adding body and weight. 

Decrapifiers are fixers, if the source is right there’s nothing to fix. It does make me wonder what’s the purpose of the tx-usb ultra though.

5 hours ago, mozes said:

I have been thinking of building my own server for a while now, and lately I have been inspired by Roy's post about his low powered server with the sCLK-EX board. Long story short, I decided to build my own server and see what I can accomplish. First, I would like thank and appreciate the contribution of Roy @romazwhose valuable contributions paved the road for my journey. Second, I like to thank @ElviaCaprice who has helped me throughout the build process. In fact, he was behind the concept and I simply implemented many of his ideas. I can't thank him enough! Third, kudos to SOTM and their amazing service, speed and flexibility in just implementing everything I asked them for with top notch workmanship.

- sCLK-EX clock board

Chain:

Server>generic 2M USB cable (I am waiting for a Lush USB to arrive)>tXUSBultra1>Elijah Audio USB (15cm)> tXUSBultra2>Lush USB>DAC

sCLK-EX boards (2)

I had SOTM remove the first sCLK-EX board from one of my tXs and install it inside the server. The 4 clocks are allocated as follows:

My second sCLK-EX board (inside the tXUSBultra) now has its clock taps allocated as follows:

Now my system has full sCLK-EX clocks all the way from the bridge to the DAC. Do you really need 8 clocks? of course not. one sCLK-EX board is enough and would probably give you 90% of the SQ. I felt that the clocking of the wireless bridge and the second tX-USBultra are redundant to some extent, but I did it because I already had the two boards.

It is now a very complicated server especially with power supplies as it needs 4 PSUs:

2-tXUSBexp1 (LPS-1 7V)

3-tXUSBexp2 (LPS-1 7V)

I can also get all the 3 SOTM components to be powered from a single source with minor moification.

My OS sits on the 64 SLC Intel SSD with SATAII filter and my music is stored on the 2TB HDD connected via USB 3.0 cable and powered by the tX-USBexp card. 

Sound:

This is very rough for now as I just received my gear yesterday and quickly set it up. All the new components and connections will take time to break in and settle. However, from the very first moment, it sounds magical in all aspects, transparency, depth and realism like I have never heard before in my system. I compare this leap to the leap from Brooklyn to Dave. I also believe that I still have a lot of SQ to gain by optimizing my power supplies as I am still powering the motherboard with a LifePO4 battery to be replaced soon by a sPS-500

Image4.thumb.jpg.d9b360d2c056afa20d43bbf129339ea6.jpgImage3.thumb.jpg.8003fa9e74e854e80d7c071cf6e7517d.jpg

Congrats, Moussa! This looks awesome.

i am eagerly awaiting your extended listening impressions. With a system of this refinement, you will be amazed how much better the SQ will get with PSU upgrades.

3 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

Decrapifiers are fixers, if the source is right there’s nothing to fix. It does make me wonder what’s the purpose of the tx-usb ultra though.

They do contribute to SQ, if you want to be at the bleeding edge. Also the it houses my sclk board that clocks my switch and router

9 hours ago, mozes said:

I forgot to mention that I started with the Iso Regen in the chain and the sound was great. Later in the day, I removed it and the sound opened up with more depth and spatial cues.

My system is now at a level where the IR is the weak link. In the past, the  IR was magical in adding body and weight. 

I actually never was impressed with the ISO Regen (even with LT3045s) until I added the Luckit BluWave (battery powered) between the IR and Brooklyn DAC. Now it actually sounds glorious! So funny enough two galvanicly Isolations is better than one which is similar to my experiance with floating PSUs is sounding better if they are plugged into a IT with floating secondary. Dual floats rules in my world! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

11 hours ago, mozes said:

- sCLK-EX clock board

Chain:

sCLK-EX boards (2)

2-tXUSBexp1 (LPS-1 7V)

3-tXUSBexp2 (LPS-1 7V)

Sound:

Great stuff Moussa! Enjoy your fine setup.? 

🎛️  Audio System  

10 hours ago, mozes said:

Thanks Rajiv!

I find every small change now makes a very noticeable impact. For example I just replaced the 50cm SMB cable between my tX-USBultras to a 6inch cable and there you go a significant leap in SQ way beyond my expectations. Then I replaced a 1 meter SMB cable between the tX and bridge with a 12 inch cable and again another nice boost with Tidal. These changes are not subtle, it only takes 2 sec to realize the improvement! 

Still I am still familiarizing myself with the new chain. 

If anyone says that their DAC is immune to anything upfront,  my answer is come and listen to my Dac with my server and without!

Congratulations Moussa, but I don’t know how do you replace the SMB with cables.

if you don’t mind, can you post more photos in order to get a clear idea of what you did?

2 minutes ago, beautiful music said:

Congratulations Moussa, but I don’t know how do you replace the SMB with cables.

if you don’t mind, can you post more photos in order to get a clear idea of what you did?

Maybe I wasn’t clear, I just replaced the SMB cables with shorter ones.

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I have the hiFace EVO clock generator. Not used for long time. Interested in play with it ?

http://lnx.m2tech.biz/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Evo-Clock-manuale-utente-PrB.pdf

Thanks! ? I have been looking at the new EVO 2 clock which also have the 10Mhz option. It is not that expensive brand new so I would start with the new one. So far I haven't really decided if I want to go down the clock path or not. I have just started to investigate that option.

🎛️  Audio System