IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

6 hours ago, afrancois said:

I didn't open any SOtM gear. My sMS-200 Ultra and sPS-500 are resting on the 3M paper, as are all 4 LPS-1's. The LPS-1's also have the 3M glued on top. Every LPS-1 has a heat sink on top.

The back of the AQVOX has 3M paper clued on the outside, this is also the case for my pre-amp, power amp and MC3+ USB. The pre-amp, power amp and MC3+ USB also have 3M on the inside of the cover.

The ISO Regen is covered on both sides with 3M. Close to the spaghetti wiring there’s a 3M.

In short I’ve put 3M where I could put it, except on the inside of the SOtM gear.

Included are some pictures to give you an idea of my garage setup. Pictures however are quite dark.

_DSC8522.JPG

_DSC8553.JPG

_DSC8554.JPG

_DSC8555.JPG

_DSC8557.JPG

_DSC8558.JPG

_DSC8559.JPG

_DSC8560.JPG

_DSC8569.JPG

_DSC8570.JPG

Wow, that is pretty impressive! I love your listening room... not to mention the Focal speakers. 9_9 

The pix don't show the 3M paper very well, but I think I get the idea. Have you found that there is a tipping point beyond which the sound is over-damped? Roy said that Lee warned him not to use too much eABS-200 paper due to that concern.

21 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Wow, that is pretty impressive! I love your listening room... not to mention the Focal speakers. 9_9 

The pix don't show the 3M paper very well, but I think I get the idea. Have you found that there is a tipping point beyond which the sound is over-damped? Roy said that Lee warned him not to use too much eABS-200 paper due to that concern.

No, I never got the impression things got over-damped. The sound is quite sweet and natural, but also quite detailed. I know some people have some reservations about beryllium tweeters, but I can't complain. While I found my room sometimes a bit bright with my previous KEF reference speakers, this is not the case with the Focals. The Focals are however a bit more sensitive to placement then the KEF's.  There's still some work ahead. The subwoofers aren't yet connected and I'm playing without RoomPerfect until the Focals are burned in. Now I'm waiting for the REF10. Unfortunately, the black version is in back order. 

My "guess" is when you place the 3M paper on the outside you filter out what would make it through the chassis, but you will not filter as well what is generated inside the chassis.  Whatever makes it through would get absorbed, but what doesn't will effect the internal components and be passed through the power line.

34 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I have not experienced any negative effects or over damping.  YMMV.

3 minutes ago, afrancois said:

No, I never got the impression things got over-damped. The sound is quite sweet and natural, but also quite detailed. I know some people have some reservations about beryllium tweeters, but I can't complain. While I found my room sometimes a bit bright with my previous KEF reference speakers, this is not the case with the Focals. The Focals are however a bit more sensitive to placement then the KEF's.  There's still some work ahead. The subwoofers aren't yet connected and I'm playing without RoomPerfect until the Focals are burned in. Now I'm waiting for the REF10. Unfortunately, the black version is in back order. 

I love the detail from beryllium.  Fast speakers that produce an accurate sound.

1 hour ago, afrancois said:

I know some people have some reservations about beryllium tweeters, but I can't complain

During Taves 2018, I listened to a  very high end system driving Focal Sopra 3. The least I can say is thag I was impressed. The clarity in the upper frequencies is mesmerizing and not harsh at all. You just need to make sure you have the right amp and room for these French beauties!

1 hour ago, mozes said:

I am planning to build something similar to your garage setup, but it will be somewhere in my house. How do you connect your garage system to your listening room? 

My garage is adjacent to my living room/listening room. The speaker cable for my main system goes through the wall, all the rest is in the garage. I use a Logitech remote control with radio frequency to operate the pre-amp. The pre-amp automatically triggers the power amplifier. The Cyrus system in the living room is no longer used. Only the pre-amp and headphone amplifier below are used for headphone listening.

My garage is adjacent to my living room/listening room. The speaker cable for my main system goes through the wall, all the rest is in the garage. I use a Logitech remote control with radio frequency to operate the pre-amp. The pre-amp automatically triggers the power amplifier. The Cyrus system in the living room is no longer used. Only the pre-amp and headphone amplifier below are used for headphone listening.

Lucky you! great way to utilize the space. Thanks for sharing the details of your setup.

12 minutes ago, zoltan said:

Why do you need these heat sinks? I don't have an LPS-1 (yet) but this is the first time I've heard of a heat sink on LPS-1s.

You don't need em.  Just audiophile overkill/dressing for looks.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

17 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

You don't need em.  Just audiophile overkill/dressing for looks.

Well, outside heatsinks don't do much for the looks, to say the least. I guess you can achieve an operating temperature of the components themselves (not the chassis) a few degrees lower operation temperature (if at all) but that will result in no audible improvement. It may extend product lifetime from 15 years to 16 years. Even my rack is different since 16 years ago... 

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

3 hours ago, zoltan said:

Well, outside heatsinks don't do much for the looks, to say the least. I guess you can achieve an operating temperature of the components themselves (not the chassis) a few degrees lower operation temperature (if at all) but that will result in no audible improvement. It may extend product lifetime from 15 years to 16 years. Even my rack is different since 16 years ago... 

Your not telling me anything I didn't know, I sure don't use them.   Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I didn’t know I had earned my audiophile bragging rights with some heatsinks in the garage. Now that I know, I’ll make sure to scream it from the roof next time I visit an audio show :-)

Some would consider it so.  Not I.  If I don't need them here on the west coast of Costa Rica, doubt anybody needs them.

On 11/29/2017 at 2:34 AM, afrancois said:

I didn't open any SOtM gear. My sMS-200 Ultra and sPS-500 are resting on the 3M paper, as are all 4 LPS-1's. The LPS-1's also have the 3M glued on top. Every LPS-1 has a heat sink on top.

The back of the AQVOX has 3M paper clued on the outside, this is also the case for my pre-amp, power amp and MC3+ USB. The pre-amp, power amp and MC3+ USB also have 3M on the inside of the cover.

The ISO Regen is covered on both sides with 3M. Close to the spaghetti wiring there’s a 3M.

In short I’ve put 3M where I could put it, except on the inside of the SOtM gear.

Included are some pictures to give you an idea of my garage setup. Pictures however are quite dark.

_DSC8522.JPG

_DSC8553.JPG

_DSC8554.JPG

_DSC8555.JPG

_DSC8557.JPG

_DSC8558.JPG

_DSC8559.JPG

_DSC8560.JPG

_DSC8569.JPG

_DSC8570.JPG

WOW!  Very impressed.  I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the FOcal Sopras too!  Every time i go to shows and see them, they always sound like the best rooms to me....better than wilsons, ATC, or anything IMHO.  Congrats...a system I envy!

What DAC do you have??

3 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

WOW!  Very impressed.  I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the FOcal Sopras too!  Every time i go to shows and see them, they always sound like the best rooms to me....better than wilsons, ATC, or anything IMHO.  Congrats...a system I envy!

What DAC do you have??

I have a Lyngdorf DPA-1 pre-amp that was recently upgraded by RuVox. http://ruvox47.blogspot.be/2016/05/lyngdorf-dpa-1-modificatie.html

As power amplifier, I have a Lyngdorf SDA-2400.

2 hours ago, afrancois said:

I have a Lyngdorf DPA-1 pre-amp that was recently upgraded by RuVox. http://ruvox47.blogspot.be/2016/05/lyngdorf-dpa-1-modificatie.html

As power amplifier, I have a Lyngdorf SDA-2400.

I'll have to ask. Are you an electrician from Denmark? Many great audiophiles are from Denmark (I just suspect electrician due to the wiring). Really nice and though through setup I must say. Enjoy! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

5 hours ago, Cornan said:

I'll have to ask. Are you an electrician from Denmark? Many great audiophiles are from Denmark (I just suspect electrician due to the wiring). Really nice and though through setup I must say. Enjoy! ?

Actually, I'm from Belgium (Flanders). I started my professional career almost 30 years ago as a software developer. Now I'm more into project management and data integration. I always enjoyed working with my hands. My father thought me that the best way to learn something was to (like he said): "steal with your eyes". What he meant was to always look carefully how someone else does something.

13 minutes ago, afrancois said:

Actually, I'm from Belgium (Flanders). I started my professional career almost 30 years ago as a software developer. Now I'm more into project management and data integration. I always enjoyed working with my hands. My father thought me that the best way to learn something was to (like he said): "steal with your eyes". What he meant was to always look carefully how someone else does something.

Your father did good, who ever you stealed from! ?

🎛️  Audio System