IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Hi All,

I just received my Fs105 V3 and did some research.

IMG_0995.thumb.JPG.b4cbffd2d8e552c9de0ea30e208b0ea2.JPG

Mabe helpful.

Is it possible to replace the XO with a crystek 575-25 3,3V?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Yah well, we believe you can let the switch act as regenerator for the network data. Like the ISO regen and the TXUSBultra for usb signals.

Clean power and clean XO signals!!!! 

Under development:

50 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Is it possible to replace the XO with a crystek 575-25 3,3V?

My finding from all online electronic retailers I know of, Crystek CCHD-575 either 24.000 or 25.000MHz oscillators can only be purchased directly from OEM with bulk quantities.  Please let me know if low quantities can be purchased somewhere.

14 minutes ago, elan120 said:

My finding from all online electronic retailers I know of, Crystek CCHD-575 either 24.000 or 25.000MHz oscillators can only be purchased directly from OEM with bulk quantities.  Please let me know if low quantities can be purchased somewhere.

I have had this in my eBay watch list for a while.

Skickat från min iPhone

🎛️  Audio System  

3 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I have had this in my eBay watch list for a while.

Skickat från min iPhone

Thank you for the link, but this is for either 22.5792MHz or 24.576MHz oscillators, which any online electronics retailer carry them.  The ones that I cannot find through regular online stores are either 24.000MHz or 25.000MHz oscillators.

1 minute ago, elan120 said:

Thank you for the link, but this is for either 22.5792MHz or 24.576MHz oscillators, which any online electronics retailer carry them.  The ones that I cannot find through regular online stores are either 24.000MHz or 25.000MHz oscillators.

Ok, I thought the 24.576MHz was the same as 24.000MHz. Apperently not! ? I will let you know if I find any of the other ones without bulk package.

🎛️  Audio System  

3 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Ok, I thought the 24.576MHz was the same as 24.000MHz. Apperently not! ? I will let you know if I find any of the other ones without bulk package.

That would be great!  Thank you.

FYI, both 22.5792MHz and 24.576MHz are commonly used in DAC for 44.1KHz and 48KHz music file samplings, where 24.000MHz is commonly used in USB input and 25.000MHz is commonly found in network input.

7 hours ago, elan120 said:

That would be great!  Thank you.

FYI, both 22.5792MHz and 24.576MHz are commonly used in DAC for 44.1KHz and 48KHz music file samplings, where 24.000MHz is commonly used in USB input and 25.000MHz is commonly found in network input.

Just looking at the Crystek CCHD-575 data sheet the 25.000Hhz is not a standard frequency, which surely would make it very difficult to find...if not impossible. I get a lot of hits on Crystek 25.000Hhz oscillators though. 

*Standard Frequencies (MHz)

🎛️  Audio System  

Hi Guys,

I am a new guy in the sms 200 community and happily owned sms 200 with mBPS-d2s for a month. Right now, I am using Wifi dongle, which uses RTL8812AU, to insert into sms 200 and read local files from my local sandisk usb stick. The local music is played through Logitech media server (LMS) and output via usb to sbooster VBUS, then ISO Regen (powered by lps-1), and then ifi ipurifier 2, and finally Chord dave.

After reading those informative posts during last two days, I have couple of questions:

1. How you evaluate the SQ played using LMS from local usb? Will there a SQ improvement using your recommended bridged connection?

2. If there is SQ improvement, I am lured to upgrade my sms 200 into ultratrifecta chain. In this case, I want to see whether I can trade in my sms 200 and upgrade to sms 200ultra as a start. I want to do this because sms 200ultra should have two free clock points (according to crux audio, is it right?). One is planned to be used for moded ethernet switch and another for iso regen (send to sotm for mod). On the other hand, sms 200 moded along with tx-USBultra will have no clock point left after connecting the chain with the switch. Therefore, the iso regen cannot be benefit from the sCLK-EX. Is it right?

3. As I saw in other posts, If the Roon Core NUC is connected to switch and then to media server, the signal from NUC will not affect SQ that much. Is it true? Or shall I carefully select an audiophile NUC?

4. If the NUC will affect the SQ in the chain, is it necessary to mod the NUC to use high-quality clock?

Thank you very much for your help!

Jianan

5 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

SOtM most likely will not modify an ISO REGEN, in which case you could buy a tX-USBultra and have it re-clock your modded sMS-200 and ethernet switch. 

Thank you for your information. I saw ramaz did the mod but I will further confirm with May.

ISO-Regen ($325)

I purchased mine used from another CA member.  I didn't find it as resolving as the tX-USBultra (my main complaint with it is that it tends to flatten the sound) but it added a certain smoothness and a weight to my piano tracks that I found very much to my liking.  In this sense, I am using the ISO-Regen as more of a tuning aid but I definitely like what it adds when placed between my tX-USBexp and my tX-USBultra.  Replacing its clock has definitely improved it.

20170915_172339.thumb.jpg.204020ed62e4da5cf3c683bc71818ba1.jpg

14 hours ago, RickyV said:

Yah well, we believe you can let the switch act as regenerator for the network data. Like the ISO regen and the TXUSBultra for usb signals.

Clean power and clean XO signals!!!! 

The ISO Regen is a USB hub, they all read in the signal and send it out again, or regenerate the signal. A switch or router does the same thing.

No power on Ethernet unless you are using POe (not a good idea). How much noise do you think rides on Ethernet data pairs. especially after it has been through an isolation transformer and a common mode choke...

1 hour ago, marce said:

The ISO Regen is a USB hub, they all read in the signal and send it out again, or regenerate the signal. A switch or router does the same thing.

No power on Ethernet unless you are using POe (not a good idea). How much noise do you think rides on Ethernet data pairs. especially after it has been through an isolation transformer and a common mode choke...

@marce, do you have something better to do than troll these threads ?

40 minutes ago, d_elm said:

@marce, do you have something better to do than troll these threads ?

No don't you...

The ISO Regen is a USB hub, if it isn't what is it... It reads in the data and re-sends it, regenerates the signal if you like. Same with routers.

Like I said how much noise is there over Ethernet lines, bit of a different ball game to USB in many respects, the main problem with the USB interface and noise is the fact it supplies power and this is not always clean, depending on the source. Ethernet works pretty well in a domestic situation, is data only unless someone is daft enough to add power over the Ethernet to their set up.

Jeez I haven't said anything controversial just a bit of common sense and common information, so where do you get off telling me I'm trolling, two different data format, different solutions.

28 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

The 'ignore user' function is a wonderful feature.

The ignore button is the adult equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling, pretty childish in my view, if you are an adults you should be able to discuss things without running off crying just because a sentence is not to your liking, please tell me in what I said is there anything incorrect or wrong. I really can't understand some of you.

ALL I SAID was that like USB hubs (the regen uses a USB hub controller, in case you haven't looked) switches and routers recreate the signal, they REGENERATE it if you will..... Have I broken some oath to secrecy here or what, please tell me what I said wrong.

What makes it more humorous is I was agreeing with RickyV in principle, just trying to help his understanding a bit on the subject. But hey thanks d_elm for your concern and jumping in, you are the saviour of audiophiles, I bow before your majesty and bask in the blinding light your presence brings to the world etc. etc. sycophantic enough for you. Audiophiles come in all shapes and sizes, some of us like to examine things in more detail though before jumping enthusiastically on the next sound improvement bandwagon that comes into town.:D

Hi Marce no worries here,

But what about the noise after isolation transformer and choke? My guess is there is not much noise left after isolation. 

But i think it is good thing to have a switch near your audio system that regenerats the signal. Allso better phase noise and amplitude noise.

isolation is allso good if you have a tv mediaplayer on the same network.

Under development:

A switch or a router is not a bad thing, most networks depend on them. The advantage they do give is they are low power devices,  4-5W so there is less noise being created than a PC or larger logic device. To get gigabit Ethernet you already need a good clock in there, I honestly don't know if a super duper clock would give any improvements. I have sent some questions regarding this to an engineer I work with, he designs the circuits for routers/switches etc. for industrial Ethernet (we do the layouts) regarding noise over Ethernet. The main problem in industrial runs is the cable length and noise picked up by the cable, this could be a problem in a domestic environment as the cable lengths of Ethernet tend to be quite long. If this is a concern then a long cable to the switch, then a far shorter cable to the DAC would be an advantage. Probably less of a risk than a long cable direct from the source to the DAC, adding the switch adds two sets of isolation transformers and the signal is regenerated. Its what I am planning doing, a local switch for the hi-fi only fed from probably my master switch... A house wide star routed network, with each area having a dedicated feed to its own local router for the majority of stuff, switches where I want to control the data flow. Because I can I am thinking of going further and having two feeds to the house so I can have a general use internet and LAN for everybody, then a totally separate internet connection and LAN for work and music, keep the riff raff off.:D I don't know whether it will make a difference, but it does seem common sense and while the house is gutted its easy to run wires and future proof it all. Music would be duplicated on both systems one for general use and one fed directly to the main music system.

It is indeed difficult to find/ buy one crystek 575-25  25 MHz (fs105 clock).

The one on eBay is 56 dollar! That is a bit expensive, i thought thay were 8 dollar or so.

You also need a good regulator module too. Darn it is getting expensive again.

Under development: