IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

18 minutes ago, limniscate said:

I plan to get both dX-USB Ultra and sMS-200 Utlra, but it may be hard to compare to @austinpop's modded sMS-200 because I'm most likely getting the 12V version.

It would still be a useful comparison, as long as we documented the voltage difference. Of course, we couldn't use the same power supplies. Never mind. 9_9

BTW - if anyone wants to send, or bring, me an sMS-200ultra, I would be happy to do the comparison on my setup and post my impressions.

3 minutes ago, austinpop said:

It would still be a useful comparison, as long as we documented the voltage difference. Of course, we couldn't use the same power supplies. Never mind. 9_9

BTW - if anyone wants to send, or bring, me an sMS-200ultra, I would be happy to do the comparison on my setup and post my impressions.

That would be great!

1 hour ago, TopQuark said:

I second this.  It will be great if someone can tell if option 1 is good enough:

1. sMS-200 ► Intona ► DAC ($450+$250=$700)
  2. sMS-200 ► tX-USBultra ► DAC ($450+$990=$1,440)
  3. sMS-200 ► sCLK-EX ► DAC ($450+$750+$200=$1,400)
  4. sMS-200Ultra ► DAC ($1,200)
  5. sMS-200Ultra ► tX-USBultra ► DAC (No! Redundant)

Option 1 has galvanic isolation.  The rest do not.

I went from this chain:

• sMS-200 (LPS-1) > Intona > W4S Recovery (LPS-1) > Ayre Codex DAC

to

• modded switch (LPS-1) > modded sMS-200 (LPS-1) > tX-USBultra > Ayre Codex DAC

You may be interested in the listening impressions of myself and @limniscate on this other thread:

"Modded" refers to the equivalent of Ultra, where the clocks are provided by the sCLK-EX board on the tX-USBultra.

Refer to the posts (and thread) above for details.

3 hours ago, TopQuark said:

I second this.  It will be great if someone can tell if option 1 is good enough:

1. sMS-200 ► Intona ► DAC ($450+$250=$700)

2. sMS-200 ► tX-USBultra ► DAC ($450+$990=$1,440)

3. sMS-200 ► sCLK-EX ► DAC ($450+$750+$200=$1,400)

4. sMS-200Ultra ► DAC ($1,200)

5. sMS-200Ultra ► tX-USBultra ► DAC (No! Redundant)

Option 1 has galvanic isolation.  The rest do not.

Wouldn't powering the sMS-200 (or Ultra) and tX-USBultra with a battery give you galvanic isolation?

On 5/17/2017 at 3:31 PM, austinpop said:

I went from this chain:

• sMS-200 (LPS-1) > Intona > W4S Recovery (LPS-1) > Ayre Codex DAC

to

• modded switch (LPS-1) > modded sMS-200 (LPS-1) > tX-USBultra > Ayre Codex DAC

You may be interested in the listening impressions of myself and @limniscate on this other thread:

"Modded" refers to the equivalent of Ultra, where the clocks are provided by the sCLK-EX board on the tX-USBultra.

Refer to the posts (and thread) above for details.

Thanks for the links. I was looking for a reasonable price performance solution for cost sensitive buyers without having to ship the sMS-200 and a switch to Korea. 

For most of us who have the sMS-200 + Intona, what is the next incremental upgrade that can get us to the next level.  What was not done in the experiment is a set-up that exclude tX-USBultra.  I understand the Intona made the SQ worse when inserted between sMS-200Ultra and tX-USBultra.  For example:

1. sMS-200 ► Intona ► DAC  ($450+$250=$700 )

2. sMS-200Ultra ► DAC ($1,200)

3. sMS-200 ► tX-USBultra ► DAC ($450+$990=$1,440)

How do you compare the SQ of the 3 above?  SOtM suggested to me #3 solution since I already have the sMS-200 but I am very interested to know how the Intona compares with tX-USBultra with only them being the difference in the chain.

Also, on the switch mod that made a significant SQ improvement, since the switch is  located between the NAS (file server) and the Roon Server, it only means that Roon Server is not doing it's job of buffering and providing bit perfect stream to the music server.  This runs contrary to what Roon claims.

2 hours ago, TopQuark said:

Thanks for the links. I was looking for a reasonable price performance solution for cost sensitive buyers without having to ship the sMS-200 and a switch to Korea. 

For most of us who have the sMS-200 + Intona, what is the next incremental upgrade that can get us to the next level.  What was not done in the experiment is a set-up that exclude tX-USBultra.  I understand the Intona made the SQ worse when inserted between sMS-200Ultra and tX-USBultra.  For example:

1. sMS-200 ► Intona ► DAC  ($450+$250=$700 )

2. sMS-200Ultra ► DAC ($1,200)

3. sMS-200 ► tX-USBultra ► DAC ($450+$990=$1,440)

How do you compare the SQ of the 3 above?  SOtM suggested to me #3 solution since I already have the sMS-200 but I am very interested to know how the Intona compares with tX-USBultra with only them being the difference in the chain.

Also, on the switch mod that made a significant SQ improvement, since the switch is  located between the NAS (file server) and the Roon Server, it only means that Roon Server is not doing it's job of buffering and providing bit perfect stream to the music server.  This runs contrary to what Roon claims.

You forgot:

4. sMS-200ultra ► tX-USBultra ► DAC ($1200+$990=$2,190)

Qualitatively, the answer is easy! In order of decreasing sound quality:

4 > 3 > 2 > 1

Is it "worth the price?" Only you can answer that.

For the switch rationale, I suggest you go read the topic:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-the-sms-200-and-microrendu/

Look for posts by @romaz and myself.

On 2017-5-20 at 3:27 AM, austinpop said:

You forgot:

4. sMS-200ultra ► tX-USBultra ► DAC ($1200+$990=$2,190)

Qualitatively, the answer is easy! In order of decreasing sound quality:

4 > 3 > 2 > 1

Is it "worth the price?" Only you can answer that.

For the switch rationale, I suggest you go read the topic:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-the-sms-200-and-microrendu/

Look for posts by @romaz and myself.

Thank you for the assertion of 3>2.

•  Any idea if this holds for 3' >2  as well with 3' = mR + txUSBUltra?

My hypothesis:

3>2 despite the fact that 2 has superclocks.  I guess this is due to the reclocking from LAN to USB.  Hence the 1st superclock need to convert this mediocre LAN signal into an average grade USB signal.

In 3, sms200 has already Regen from an average grade USB to signal to a high grade USB signal.  Hence the txUltra may Regen a very high grade USB signal.

4 is best because 2 super clocks are being used to Regen a high quality USB signal.

If 5 = nodded switch + 200Ultra + txUltra, then the first clock in the switch would have regen a high grade LAN signal, the 1st clock in the 200Ultra may regen this nice LAN signal into a relative high grade USB signal and the 2nd clock in the 200Ultra will regen a very high grade USB signal, a,and the last txUltra makes this this USB signal close to perfect.

I guess it would be interesting to compare 4 with two txUSBUltra in series.  That should shed more lights on how these stacvks work.

Just now, austinpop said:

Oh dear. I should have read these more carefully.

I had it backward. I do think 2 > 3.

Apologies!

Thank you.  No worries.

Then it means higher the number of superclocks, higher the SQ.  May be someone can try to use 2 to against two txUltra in series.☺

Hello, have been following the forums for years but this is my first post.

I have a Chord QuteHD which is currently fed from a PC. I am now thinking of getting the SMS-200 or SMS-200 ultra, when it becomes available, to use as the source. Can someone please advise whether the QuteHD (which requires drivers for Mac) would work with it or would I need a usb-to-spdif converter in between such as the iFi iLink?

Thanks in advance

Could we power the "Ultra" version of tX-USBexp (with single 48MHz clock installed on sCLK-EX clock module) successfully if only 7V @ 1.1A were provided by a single UpTone Audio LPS-1?

(In other words, will that upgraded version of tX-USBexp draw more than 7.7W by any chance?)

Let's say we're turning off/on the red switch to disable/enable USB port power, will 7V @ 1.1A be sufficient for either case? Thank you.

Hi all,

everyone seems to experience no issues at all with setting-up the sMS-200 but unfortunately I do not belong to this category :( in fact, I just spent 3 hours trying to set it up with no tangible result :( 

The sMS-200 is connected to a router and so is my NAS QNAP HS-251+. The sMS-200 is then connected to my Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC via USB.

I successfully upgraded the sMS-200 FW to the lastest version but I am completely stuck on the "Library config" step. Whatever I enter into this app in Eunhasu is not saved which leads me to believe it does not recognize the server path.

I'm told to enter the path in this format: "//server/path" or "//IP/path" but I tried several different configurations and nothing is working. Could anyone guide me how to find the exact path name or tell me what I am doing wrong ?

Thanks a lot ! :)

TANNOY Definition DC8T / STELLO Ai700 / AYRE QB-9 DSD / SOtM sMS-200 Ultra / QNAP HS-251+ / Triode Wire Labs

Hi @MayfromSOtM or anyone who knows,

I have been trying to set up a wireless wifi connection for the sms200 but unfortunately i have not succeeded and would like to seek some help here.

I habe updated the firmware to v0.3.7 and plugged in the TP-Link AC1300 Archer T4U wifi adapter which carries the linux compatible chipset RTL8812au and i followed the setup instructions. Settings>system config>wifi. However, my wifi adapter could not be detected and there is no connection made.

The adapter has been tested with my computer and it works fine. I have specifically chosen this wifi adapter as it is listed on the website as a compatible product for the sms200.

Any help would be appreciated!?

Best Regards,
Ray
1 hour ago, Lockeray said:

Hi @MayfromSOtM or anyone who knows,

I have been trying to set up a wireless wifi connection for the sms200 but unfortunately i have not succeeded and would like to seek some help here.

I habe updated the firmware to v0.3.7 and plugged in the TP-Link AC1300 Archer T4U wifi adapter which carries the linux compatible chipset RTL8812au and i followed the setup instructions. Settings>system config>wifi. However, my wifi adapter could not be detected and there is no connection made.

The adapter has been tested with my computer and it works fine. I have specifically chosen this wifi adapter as it is listed on the website as a compatible product for the sms200.

Any help would be appreciated!?

Best Regards,
Ray

Hi,

TP-Link - Archer T4U AC1300 and T4UHP are added at V0.3.8. It would not be working at V0.3.7 as you are.

I've had a MicroRendu and was using it as an UPnP home renderer set up as bubble UPnP  so I could stream Tidal with no problem.  Today I installed SOtM SMS-200 but I can't for the life of me figure out how to configure a bubble on it.  I had some advice earlier saying it should be configured on my LUMIN controler app.  I would think the SOTM would be configured through eunhasu  in the same way that MicroRendu requires the Sonre web configurer to set up a bubble UPnP.  Any help would be appreciated 

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

On 2017. 5. 15. at 3:42 AM, Elberoth said:

I wonder when we will see some crazy audiophile connecting the $20k Esoteric Rubidium Master Clock to the sMS-200ultra ...

Do you expect an external clock to bring a sonic benefit ? 

Yes, the good quality external clock definitely brings a sonic benefits, and we are planning to make our master clock device too, hope you can wait once it will be available:)