IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

12 hours ago, bmoregnr said:

I have one of these on the way, and I had a few operational questions I couldn’t find the answer to in the manual.  For those using a usb drive attached to the sms-200, how do you eject the drive?  Do you power down the sms-200 first and then remove and reinsert the drive?  On the power on/off front, I can see where you power down the sms-200 in the Eunhasu software, but how do you power it back on?  Is that an option in Eunhasu or is it done another way?

You need to power down the SMS-200 to detach the drive using Eunhasu. To restart it use the reset button at the back (or on the front in the case of the Ultra) or switch the power supply on again.

My sms-200 arrived Friday, and despite being a complete networking novice with a notion going into this purchase that for the first time I might be buying a piece of audio equipment where there is a 45% chance I couldn't get it to work given my lack of skills; instead everything turned out great and it is a very clean and easy setup process.  I just plugged everything in as it will be used except for the power, then when it was powered up the mac found it, it found the Ayre Codex and the external WD Passport ssd hooked into it; the Soundirok app found everything, boom I was up and running in maybe 5 minutes.  I don't think I really made any changes, and the only tip I could add is Safari/mac needed the IP address in the browser where http://eunhasu.local did not take.  

I am using the Ifi iPower 9v and that WD SSD is not self powered but it all seems to work well and is very nice sounding.  In the small room where this is it is great not having the computer on.  It is a desktop office system and so given the budget I have in mind I don't see any upgrades necessary for me, although I am quite sure the payoffs are out there especially on bigger rigs.  So chalk me up as someone very happy with the sms-200 right out of the gate; and a hearty thanks and shoutout to May as well as Crux for all their help and quick service.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to share my experiences too, received my new (to me) SMS-200 yesterday evening. My previous setup was an HP laptop->USB->Jitterbug->cable->Regen->Musette DAC. HQplayer (trial) and foobar2000 were used to stream the FLAC files from the internal HD of the HP.

Got sick of toting the laptop from the listening room down to the exercise room (cycling on Zwift, graphics intensive training game) and back every day. But having experienced streaming my ripped CDs I didn't want to go back to the CD transport so I looked for a cost effective replacement. My plan was to use an external HDD attached to the SMS and a wireless adapter so I could control it from my ipad (MPD/Soundirok) as the first attempt.

It worked great! Did the initial setup hardwired to the router with the wifi adapter plugged in, and after that there was no problem bringing up eunhasu (via IP) on chrome or safari to do the software updates and configure MPD. Once I realized how to get Soundirok to index the HDD, everything showed up and playback was seamless. Next up: install roon (trial) on my laptop and see how that compares to streaming from the local HDD. Fun in store! FYI I am using my Black Lighting (from Vinnie Rossi's Red Wine Audio days) battery power supply (12v) to power the SMS until I am able to upgrade further.

This forum has been a great resource, thanks everyone for your contributions.

Ron

@MayfromSOtM

Hi May and Guys,

I'm from Hong Kong and just purchased sms 200 and mBPS-d2s five days ago. Really glad with sound quality.

However, I've faced the issue regarding to dsd playback issue and really need help from you guys.

Background: sotm sms 200 connected to DDC singxer f-1 and spdif to chord hugo. All the music files are stored on usb and connected to sms 200 via usb dock. Using Squeezelite to play local music.

Squeezelite (Logitech media server) Settings:
a. Plugin: DSDplayer installed.
b. File Type Setting: DFF, DST Native.
c. Volume Control: Output level is fixed at 100%. Crossfade: None.
d. DSD Player tab: This player supports native playback of dsd files. DSD-over-PCM should be configured on the player configuration interface.
e. I chose sms 200 to output native dsd in sotm interface.

Symptom:
a. dsd files can be played for 10-30 s without any sounds, then will stop playing and skip to another song.
b. All other files 16/24bit, 44/96/192k can be played without any problem.
c. Logitech media server log shows: Decoder does not support file format, code 0

Others: All dsd files can be played on my Windows 8 computer with foobar.

Really want dsd files to be played on sms 200.

Any suggestions are welcome. Appreciated for ur help.

Jianan

8 hours ago, Jianan said:

d. DSD Player tab: This player supports native playback of dsd files. DSD-over-PCM should be configured on the player configuration interface.

Doesn't your e. need to be set to DOP?

14 hours ago, Jianan said:

@MayfromSOtM

Hi May and Guys,

I'm from Hong Kong and just purchased sms 200 and mBPS-d2s five days ago. Really glad with sound quality.

However, I've faced the issue regarding to dsd playback issue and really need help from you guys.

Background: sotm sms 200 connected to DDC singxer f-1 and spdif to chord hugo. All the music files are stored on usb and connected to sms 200 via usb dock. Using Squeezelite to play local music.

Symptom:
a. dsd files can be played for 10-30 s without any sounds, then will stop playing and skip to another song.
b. All other files 16/24bit, 44/96/192k can be played without any problem.
c. Logitech media server log shows: Decoder does not support file format, code 0

Others: All dsd files can be played on my Windows 8 computer with foobar.

Really want dsd files to be played on sms 200.

Any suggestions are welcome. Appreciated for ur help.

Jianan

Hi Jianan, 

If you use singxer f-1 in the chain, and would like to play DSD file, the DOP should be enabled. Please check the settings on Eunhasu->Squeezelite config, https://www.docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:squeezelite

Thank you~

Best regards, May

2 minutes ago, MayfromSOtM said:

Hi Jianan, 

If you use singxer f-1 in the chain, and would like to play DSD file, the DOP should be enabled. Please check the settings on Eunhasu->Squeezelite config, https://www.docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:squeezelite

Thank you~

Best regards, May

Do you plan on releasing a network player with embedded dac with different options to allow for different budgets?

would love to see more competition in this area...

@MayfromSOtM

I've been trying to live with my unit in my main system, but it seems I cannot eradicate pops with native DSD + HQPlayer.

My system:

HQPlayer -> NAA (sMS-200 or Odroid C2) -> iFi (iDSD BL or iDAC)

I did all permutations of network equipment and network cables and equipment I could think of and the result is the same:

1. Odroid C2 plays DSD512 without pops;

2. sMS-200 pops at DSD256, but is listenable; DSD512 is more pops than sound;

I've been diligently upgrading the firmware (right now at 0.4.0) in hopes it would address this issue. No success.

Does any of you guys use sMS-200 for DSD and what's the maximum rate you can get?

@luchoh

I have gone around the bases on exactly the same issue using Hq player Naa with both Sonore and Sotm units. Very similar experience as I lost my mind and literally changed out everything else In the system trying to get it to function at Dsd 512 in this configuration. 

Unfortunately, I had no success with the SMS -200, 200 ultra, mR or uR for Dsd 512 and Hq player Naa. Roon 512 seems to work fine and Hq 256 in my system function properly. 

If if you do make any headway please do communicate back, it would be great to at the very least get an understanding of the issue. 

1 hour ago, luchoh said:

I've been trying to live with my unit in my main system, but it seems I cannot eradicate pops with native DSD + HQPlayer.

My system:

I did all permutations of network equipment and network cables and equipment I could think of and the result is the same:

I've been diligently upgrading the firmware (right now at 0.4.0) in hopes it would address this issue. No success.

Does any of you guys use sMS-200 for DSD and what's the maximum rate you can get?

@Allander perhaps we need to ask @Miska if you believe it's a HQPlayer issue. Unfortunately (for price and complexity) I can hear a distinct difference between on one side PCM from HQPlayer and/or Roon or DSD from Roon and on the other - DSD from HQPlayer.

I admit, I haven't auditioned the last (October) iteration of Roon, so things may have changed.

8 minutes ago, Allander said:

Unfortunately, I had no success with the SMS -200, 200 ultra, mR or uR for Dsd 512 and Hq player Naa. Roon 512 seems to work fine and Hq 256 in my system function properly. 

@Allander so you're saying no luck with off the shelf streamers? My Odroid C2 works like a charm. The only time I'm having issues is when I play DSD512 without -2s filters. But this is due to deficiencies in my HQPlayer rig, not the C2/NAA.

@luchoh

I posted in the Hq forum along the way and it led to a flow control discussion on a managed switch. I did look into it and tried it with and without a managed switch with flow.....no change. I also read somewhere that the switch can be finicky with the Rendu's, I tried 8 different units....no change. Firewalls on/off, fibre in/out, Ethernet cables,USB cables,i2s cable all changed, 3 different Singxer Su1 units, 3 dacs, direct USB with no Singxer (256 only) SMS 200/ultra, mR/uR, measured power to ensure no issues, computer was tested and tried in a friends system, programs were all uninstalled and reinstalled. 

I also contacted Sonore and unfortunately did not find a solution or an answer other then Dsd 512 not being guaranteed with all units.

I came to the conclusion that the Singxer su1 requiring Holo drivers for Dsd 512 and being used with a Linux based Naa without the ability to house those drivers was the issue.  

Recently however I've added another Linux based unit that will do Dsd 512 with the Hq player Naa with no playback issues encountered so far. 

Playback with Hq is also preferred to Roon alone in my system. 

Wish I could be of more help however I have no idea where the issue lays. 

@luchoh Absolutely! This is the first I've come across someone in the same boat.  

Ive recently been using the Allo USB bridge with diet Pi. They're still working through some more functional based issues but it shows great promise so far. Sounds like an update comes out this week which should address those issues. 

Looking for clarification about the different playing modes on the SMS-200 like RoonBridge and DLNA/MPD and Shairport.... can you only have one "listening" for connections at a time, or can you have all listen at the same time and the unit uses whatever stream it receives first? Or it like the uRendu that you have to manually select one mode to be operational? I own none of these units so just trying to understand. Thanks.

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

3 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

It's like the microRendu and ultraRendu. The sMS-200 series appears to run the same or very similar OS.

There is a story behind that. As SGC/Sonore was in some sort of partnership with the Korean company.

Sonore was in fact one time the SoTM US distributor..

The SMS100 ran on the SonicOrbiter SW. (Fedora Linux)

It is is my understanding that what SoTM is doing with the modified SonicOrbiter that they using now is not under SGC/Snore’s blessing. 

Hi Guys,

Quick update to you. As May and her colleague kindly offered their help online, I can finally play dsd files using Squeezelite. The reason for hindering proper dff playback should be the missing of tag info. Right now, I converted all dff to dsf using dff2dsf created by signalyst.com. All dsf files work fine and smoothly.

Greate custom response and support from May and her team!

On 2017. 11. 9. at 4:14 AM, luchoh said:

@MayfromSOtM

My system:

Please describe the hardware specs of your HQplayer server. We use i7-7700 [email protected] PC and it has no issue when playing PCM 768KHz and DSD256 Up-sampling. I will get you our setting on HQplayer if you want to import and try it out at your end, please email to [email protected]

Thank you.