IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

7 minutes ago, alvin1118 said:

strange, i updated the firmware to latest v0.3.7, now it won't play DSD DoP via Amanero USB interface. Is this a known issue ?

DSD DOP works fine with my DACs.  What endpoint type?  I found NAA didn't work correctly after upgrading to various versions until I enabled RoonReady and then went back to NAA.  It was very weird.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

18 minutes ago, alvin1118 said:

strange, i updated the firmware to latest v0.3.7, now it won't play DSD DoP via Amanero USB interface. Is this a known issue ?

No, I had no problem whatsoever (HQPlayer/Lampi) . What player do you use?

• 2 weeks later...

Received this email last night. :)

Hi all,

We are pleased to announce that preorders are now available for much anticipated SOtM sMS-200ultra and the sPS-500!

If you don't already have a 10% discount code, please use 4SGQSRDDLHD1 at checkout. This code will be available until 30 June.

The sMS-200ultra is an upgraded version of the popular sMS-200, and includes the new low-noise, low-jitter sCLK-EX2425 clock, housed in a new, slightly larger chassis. Key features include:
- Ultra low phase noise custom design oscillation circuit
- Wide operating voltage input range
- Ultra low noise +5V output for system operation : 0.5A max

Starting price without master clock connector enabled is $1200. The cost is $1400 with enabled master clock connector. The regular sMS-200 will continue to be available.

The sMS-200ultra fits nicely into the suite of affordable hifi products produced by SOtM, and provides additional choice in improving the sound of a system.

The sPS-500 (at $500) is the new linear power supply that complements the sMS-200 and sMS-200ultra. It replaces the battery powered mBPS-2dS, which has been discontinued. Additional information and specifications for both of these new products can be found at www.sotm-usa.com.

Preordering is now available. The expected shipping date will be after 31 May 2017, and orders will be filled in the order they are received. Please check our site for more products coming soon, and contact us if you have any questions!

Kind regards,

Kamal

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

18 minutes ago, slingshot said:

The sMS-200ultra is an upgraded version of the popular sMS-200, and includes the new low-noise, low-jitter sCLK-EX2425 clock, housed in a new, slightly larger chassis. Key features include:

Starting price without master clock connector enabled is $1200. The cost is $1400 with enabled master clock connector. The regular sMS-200 will continue to be available.

The sMS-200ultra fits nicely into the suite of affordable hifi products produced by SOtM, and provides additional choice in improving the sound of a system.

The sPS-500 (at $500) is the new linear power supply that complements the sMS-200 and sMS-200ultra. It replaces the battery powered mBPS-2dS, which has been discontinued. Additional information and specifications for both of these new products can be found at www.sotm-usa.com.

Both appears to be great products, and was hoping to get more details on the following:

1.  Will the improved clock in sMS-200ultra loosing its benefit when connected to a DDC such as Singxer SU-1 prior to a DAC since DDC has its own clock?

2.  Is the Master clock connector only for output where the unit has the improved clock running already?

3.  Can output noise specification on sPS500 be provided?

Thank you.

On 5/1/2017 at 11:47 AM, sotm.kim said:

OK. Could you please email to SOtM for the result?

@MayfromSOtM

Unfortunately my problems have continued. I seem to get pops and clicks during playback. (my dac is a chord mojo running on battery). I tried to update from 3.5 to 3.6 and after the update the sms-200 would not reboot...so I copied the 3.5 image back to the sd card and tried again and the same thing happened, so I then downloaded the 3.6 image and copied that and then did the update to 3.7..Everything was working fine for about 2 or 3 days and then I couldn't see the sms-200 in roon and I couldn't load the sms-200 web page (the activity light was completely inactive). so I pressed the reset button however now I get pops and clicks during playback - I have noticed this previously however I was thinking it was a cable issue, but when I have a fresh image copied to the sd card I don't have any pops and clicks.

I have tried altering the buffer duration in the roon settings (within the suggested parameters), but I still get pops and clicks. I am currently on 3.7. I am going to try copying the 3.6 image to a new 64Gb sandisk and see what happens.

I didn't seem to have any of the issues until version 3.5 - previous versions seemed to be stable for me...I am wondering if my issues are due to my chord mojo. Being battery powered I tend to turn it on and off with each listening session.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Ok, I have copied the 3.6 image to a new sd card and booted it up and I have listened to 3 songs with no pops or clicks...Also, I feel like the sound is smoother - less rough and perhaps even more relaxed.

Once again the sound quality with the sms-200 is absolutely exceptional....I will wait for a few weeks of listening and hopefully my pops and clicks don't return:D

6 hours ago, slingshot said:

Received this email last night. :)

Hi all,

We are pleased to announce that preorders are now available for much anticipated SOtM sMS-200ultra and the sPS-500!

If you don't already have a 10% discount code, please use 4SGQSRDDLHD1 at checkout. This code will be available until 30 June.

Preordering is now available. The expected shipping date will be after 31 May 2017, and orders will be filled in the order they are received. Please check our site for more products coming soon, and contact us if you have any questions!

Kind regards,

Kamal

What will the voltage input range be for the sMS-200ultra?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

4 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

What will the voltage input range be for the sMS-200ultra?

Input voltage : +6.5V ~ +9Vdc(Optional 12.0Vdc)

SOtM sMS-200ultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

SOtM tX-USBultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

The higher voltage options are special orders on their products.

The default for the SMS-200 Ultra will be 6.5V to 9V.

SOtM sMS-200ultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

SOtM tX-USBultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

7 minutes ago, Bamber said:

The higher voltage options are special orders on their products.

The default for the SMS-200 Ultra will be 6.5V to 9V.

My current sMS-200 takes up to 14Vdc IIRC.  I don't understand why this is different.  Is there an up-charge for 12Vdc on the ultra?  Really too bad there wasn't a mass mailing with all the info before the release.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

5 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

My current sMS-200 takes up to 14Vdc IIRC.  I don't understand why this is different.  Is there an up-charge for 12Vdc on the ultra?  Really too bad there wasn't a mass mailing with all the info before the release.  

The limitation here isn't with the sMS-200, it is with the new sCLK-EX board.  The clock board was designed either for 6.5-9V or 12V.  No upcharge for 12V but you do have to specify which you want at the time of purchase.  As an owner of 3 SOtM Ultra products, I can assure you this is a minor quibble not worth worrying about.  This is an extremely worthwhile upgrade.

16 minutes ago, romaz said:

The limitation here isn't with the sMS-200, it is with the new sCLK-EX board.  The clock board was designed either for 6.5-9V or 12V.  No upcharge for 12V but you do have to specify which you want at the time of purchase.  As an owner of 3 SOtM Ultra products, I can assure you this is a minor quibble not worth worrying about.  This is an extremely worthwhile upgrade.

I run my SMS-200 on a 12V battery with great success however the actual voltage ranges from 13V down to 12V before I recharge.  This is within the capability of my unit but is the 12V optional spec for the Ultra a brick wall type thing or will it cope with up to 14V like the SMS-200?

Posted the questions earlier but didn't include the names I was hoping to have more information from, so here they are again...

@MayfromSOtM or @sotm.kim

1.  Will the improved clock in sMS-200ultra loosing its benefit if connected to a DDC such as Singxer SU-1 prior to a DAC since DDC has its own internal clock?

2.  Is the Master clock connector from sMS-200ultra only for MCK output where the unit has the improved clock running internally already?

3.  Can output noise specification on sPS500 be provided?

18 hours ago, ClothEars said:

I run my SMS-200 on a 12V battery with great success however the actual voltage ranges from 13V down to 12V before I recharge.  This is within the capability of my unit but is the 12V optional spec for the Ultra a brick wall type thing or will it cope with up to 14V like the SMS-200?

I have not tried a 14V source and so I can't help you.  Unlike the standard sMS-200 where SOtM claims a wide voltage input, with the 12V option with their new clock, they are not making this claim and so my guess is you will want to feed it a regulated 12V (+/-10% which is typical).

I've heard there's a new and improved µRendu coming out soon which makes me pause on the sMS-200ultra.  $1200 isn't chump change and there isn't much info about the whole "system".  I think I'll wait and see what the new µRendu is all about.  Should be interesting!  

31 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

I've heard there's a new and improved µRendu coming out soon which makes me pause on the sMS-200ultra.  $1200 isn't chump change and there isn't much info about the whole "system".  I think I'll wait and see what the new µRendu is all about.  Should be interesting!  

When is that? :)

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

Win10 i7-7700 -> Roon -> HQPlayer DSD512- > LIO 100Hz HPF -> Harbeth P3ESR

->LIO  -> miniDSP <100Hz -> Rythmik F8  

I've decided to stick with my sMS-200 rather than upgrade to the sMS-200ultra. I have however ordered the tx-USBultra, which will slot in between the sMS-200 and by 2Qute. I'm skeptical of any sonic improvements, but that's what I said when I bought the sMS-200 and was blown away. I'm intrigued by the option of using one of the USB outputs on the tx-USBultra to feed my 2Qute (while using my main speaker setup) and the other to feed my Mojo (while using my headphone setup) without having to mess around with cabling. I am currently running the 2Qute and the sMS-200 on a two module PS-1 from Wyred 4 Sound. I will add a third module to power the tx-USBultra. The PS-1 allows me to power up to four devices, using the regular power modules, up to 1.2A each.

11 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

I have no idea but wish I knew.

The email I got from Upstream Audio said 

Be on watch this summer for a host of new products from SONORE.

However, I have no idea whether this includes a 2nd generation micro rendu.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's