IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

They did recently upgrade the software with a new microSD card(version 2.5) that you can buy for a very reasonable 20 USD. It adds Spotify and something called the SonoreUPNPBridge to the microRendu ecosystem. Don't know if this is what people are referring to.

On 2017. 5. 1. at 0:05 PM, camott said:

HI SOtM team,

Now that the tx-USBUltra is out, any update on the SPS-500 release date and price? I have an SMS-200 powered by an iFi iPower and waiting on an LPS ... hoping that the SPS-500 will be as good as the LPS-1 ...

Hi camott,

the first outcome after Munich show would be the sMS-200ultra and the sPS-500 would be following up shortly. And the SOtM's first power amp, sPA-1000 will be ready soon. You can check the specifications of each device on our website hence the description of products hasn't been updated yet.

Thank you very much.

Best regards, MAy

On 2017. 5. 12. at 7:19 AM, Bricki said:

Ok, I have copied the 3.6 image to a new sd card and booted it up and I have listened to 3 songs with no pops or clicks...Also, I feel like the sound is smoother - less rough and perhaps even more relaxed.

Once again the sound quality with the sms-200 is absolutely exceptional....I will wait for a few weeks of listening and hopefully my pops and clicks don't return:D

HI Bricki, 

Sorry that my response got delayed, but seems the sMS-200 with 3.6 image is working okay so far.. please keep me report the result by email so that I can help you out promptly next time. sorry once again that my response got delayed lately.

Thank you.

Best regards, May

On 2017. 5. 12. at 8:07 AM, jtwrace said:

That's an odd way to put it.  Why not 6.5Vdc - 12Vdc?  Strange.  Maybe someone from Sotm can answer?  @sotm.kim

Hi jtwrace, 

I'm not a technician so that I can't fully explain about your answer, but this is about the circuit we designed. The purpose about the power option could be to bring much joy of SQ since for some systems, 12V voltage could bring the better result. and if someone already owns 12V power supply then he could take the options to keep his current power supply as well..

Thank you!

Best regards, MAy

9 hours ago, elan120 said:

Posted the questions earlier but didn't include the names I was hoping to have more information from, so here they are again...

@MayfromSOtM or @sotm.kim

1.  Will the improved clock in sMS-200ultra loosing its benefit if connected to a DDC such as Singxer SU-1 prior to a DAC since DDC has its own internal clock?

2.  Is the Master clock connector from sMS-200ultra only for MCK output where the unit has the improved clock running internally already?

3.  Can output noise specification on sPS500 be provided?

Hi elan120,

1. Every digital device has its own clock, the original sMS-200 does have its own clock like as Singxer SU-1 has too. But the sCLK-EX, the super clock, would be used and replaced the original clock installed into the sMS-200 to make the better sound quality, and I can't say it would loose its benefit. If you really need the DDC in your system,  consider dX-USB HD ultra in your system  and use the sCLK-EX clock points from the dX-USB HD ultra to your sMS-200, the sCLK-EX from the dX-USB HD would cover the clock signal to the sMS-200. 

2. The master clock option is the 10MHz, 50Ohm BNC type isolated clock input and will sync the clock signal by the external master clock device. Which means you will need to have the external master clock (output)device which is 10MHz, 50(or 70)Ohm features to use the master clock option. We are going to make this type of device in future so if you don't use this master clock input right now, but would be good to active the option for future use.

3. We can provide the one once it will be ready, but not yet ready for this.

2 hours ago, MayfromSOtM said:

Hi elan120,

1. Every digital device has its own clock, the original sMS-200 does have its own clock like as Singxer SU-1 has too. But the sCLK-EX, the super clock, would be used and replaced the original clock installed into the sMS-200 to make the better sound quality, and I can't say it would loose its benefit. If you really need the DDC in your system,  consider dX-USB HD ultra in your system  and use the sCLK-EX clock points from the dX-USB HD ultra to your sMS-200, the sCLK-EX from the dX-USB HD would cover the clock signal to the sMS-200. 

2. The master clock option is the 10MHz, 50Ohm BNC type isolated clock input and will sync the clock signal by the external master clock device. Which means you will need to have the external master clock (output)device which is 10MHz, 50(or 70)Ohm features to use the master clock option. We are going to make this type of device in future so if you don't use this master clock input right now, but would be good to active the option for future use.

3. We can provide the one once it will be ready, but not yet ready for this.

Hi @MayfromSOtM,

Thank you for the reply.

1. Based on the information provided, it appear the new sMS-200 Ultra is best to use in a chain when the downstream components have equal clock quality to fully utilize the benefit new super clock will provide.  I was considering this product for a short while, but in my case, the DAC work best when using I2S input instead of USB, which bring up the next question - does dX-USB HD Ultra that you suggested can convert USB to I2S?

2.  What future device you are planning that will accept this master clock option?

3.  Looking forward to the output noise specification when they are ready.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:19 AM, Bricki said:

Ok, I have copied the 3.6 image to a new sd card and booted it up and I have listened to 3 songs with no pops or clicks...Also, I feel like the sound is smoother - less rough and perhaps even more relaxed.

Once again the sound quality with the sms-200 is absolutely exceptional....I will wait for a few weeks of listening and hopefully my pops and clicks don't return:D

Ciao,

I had a similar issue with pop and click. I tought it was not coming from the SMS200, but Yesterday when I have upgraded the stock SD card (that was malfunctioning) with a new Sandisk 16bg no more pop and clicks.

I belive the old SD card has some latency and the new one is far away quicker then the previous one. Boot time is 4 times faster.

I have the same feeling of a more relaxed sound, but I can't say it 100% :-)

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

What a great review. I am not sure if you need the sMS-200 if you have this. I am no hurry to buy a sMS-200 Ultra   at a price of $1,400 plus a power supply. I have a tablet and I don't notice any electronic gremlins, etc, but of course I may not know what I missing. 

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

I'm thinking of adding a sMS-200ultra to my network and plugging it into my Lampizator Atlantic DAC. Currently, I plug my laptop directly into the DAC via USB. My laptop streams music files from a server.

A couple of questions:

1) Do I control the sMS-200ultra with another network device such as my laptop?

2) Does the sMS-200ultra act as a Roon client and connects to a Roon server to "retrieve" the music files?

3) My DAC already has superclocks. Would I need the sMS master clock connector?

I'm quite technical, but have never set up a dedicated network music device before.

TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator Golden Atlantic, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 60th Ann. (*2), Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-3, LCD-4
Mobile: AK240, Shure 846
2 hours ago, leftside said:

I'm thinking of adding a sMS-200ultra to my network and plugging it into my Lampizator Atlantic DAC. Currently, I plug my laptop directly into the DAC via USB. My laptop streams music files from a server.

A couple of questions:

1) Do I control the sMS-200ultra with another network device such as my laptop?

2) Does the sMS-200ultra act as a Roon client and connects to a Roon server to "retrieve" the music files?

3) My DAC already has superclocks. Would I need the sMS master clock connector?

I'm quite technical, but have never set up a dedicated network music device before.

You can control the sMS-200 Ultra through a laptop but will rarely have to do so once setup. 

The sMS-200 can act as a Roon Endpoint. You can then control via your laptop, phone, or tablet. 

No, you don't need the master clock connector unless you want to add an external master clock. 

You are about to be in for a real treat. The sound quality will massively improve. 

On 5/13/2017 at 4:32 AM, romaz said:

I have not tried a 14V source and so I can't help you.  Unlike the standard sMS-200 where SOtM claims a wide voltage input, with the 12V option with their new clock, they are not making this claim and so my guess is you will want to feed it a regulated 12V (+/-10% which is typical).

It would be nice to get a definitive answer from SOtM as to whether the Ultra will cope with a battery at 13V as well as the lowest voltage it will operate at if the 12V option is selected at purchase. This is a critical question and will determine whether I can afford to upgrade or not.

Perhaps @MayfromSOtM could answer this so I can decide what to do.

On 2017. 5. 13. at 3:01 PM, elan120 said:

Hi @MayfromSOtM,

Thank you for the reply.

1. Based on the information provided, it appear the new sMS-200 Ultra is best to use in a chain when the downstream components have equal clock quality to fully utilize the benefit new super clock will provide.  I was considering this product for a short while, but in my case, the DAC work best when using I2S input instead of USB, which bring up the next question - does dX-USB HD Ultra that you suggested can convert USB to I2S?

2.  What future device you are planning that will accept this master clock option?

3.  Looking forward to the output noise specification when they are ready.

Thank you for your understanding as well.

1. I'm afraid to say that the dX-USB HD only has AES/EBU, Coaxial and Optical output, no i2s output available.But we have the older model which has the i2s output, please check the specificaiton, http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/shop/dx-usb/ 

I know the dX-USB is not sufficient but you can consider it anyway.

2. The unit what I was trying to say was the master clock output device, but no specification is available so far, sorry.

3. yes, will do once ready.

Thank you!

Best regards, May

6 hours ago, ClothEars said:

It would be nice to get a definitive answer from SOtM as to whether the Ultra will cope with a battery at 13V as well as the lowest voltage it will operate at if the 12V option is selected at purchase. This is a critical question and will determine whether I can afford to upgrade or not.

Perhaps @MayfromSOtM could answer this so I can decide what to do.

Hi, ClothEars, 

Yes, you can use 13V power to the Ultra once you select the 12Voption at purchase. it would accept upto 13V.

Thank you!

Best regards, May

On 13.05.2017 at 5:40 AM, MayfromSOtM said:

I wonder when we will see some crazy audiophile connecting the $20k Esoteric Rubidium Master Clock to the sMS-200ultra ...

Do you expect an external clock to bring a sonic benefit ? 

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

11 hours ago, MayfromSOtM said:

Hi, ClothEars, 

Yes, you can use 13V power to the Ultra once you select the 12Voption at purchase. it would accept upto 13V.

Thank you!

Best regards, May

Excellent news May.  That means I and many others will not have to change our power supplies. :)

hello everyone.

my very first post here and I'm just really curious

current sms200 who have heard the sms200 ultra, would you say the price difference is justified?

my local dealer is having a pre-order sale and i'm thinking of making the jump.

i currently have the sms200 +sbooster + sbooster ultra

37 minutes ago, semajm85 said:

current sms200 who have heard the sms200 ultra, would you say the price difference is justified?

I would say no. Probably there will be loads of hype on the forum giving you impression like: "new sms200 brought live band into my room" etc.

I think you're good, but if it is really itchy in your pocket... ;)

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

Win10 i7-7700 -> Roon -> HQPlayer DSD512- > LIO 100Hz HPF -> Harbeth P3ESR

->LIO  -> miniDSP <100Hz -> Rythmik F8  

15 hours ago, semajm85 said:

hello everyone.

my very first post here and I'm just really curious

my local dealer is having a pre-order sale and i'm thinking of making the jump.

i currently have the sms200 +sbooster + sbooster ultra

My advice is to get the tX-USBultra and send your sms-200 to SOTM and ask them to mod it by enabling two clock outputs of the tX to control the clock in your sms-200, this way you end up with two ultra products with significant improvement for almost the same $$$. Other experienced users in this forum have done this successfully 

35 minutes ago, mozes said:

My advice is to get the tX-USBultra and send your sms-200 to SOTM and ask them to mod it by enabling two clock outputs of the tX to control the clock in your sms-200, this way you end up with two ultra products with significant improvement for almost the same $$$. Other experienced users in this forum have done this successfully 

Why would anyone buy both a tX-USBultra and an sms-200ultra?  Will SOtM do what you suggest if I buy a new tX-USBultra and a new SMS-200?  Even with the service charge for the clock transplant, it would be a lot cheaper.

Sure there are some extra cables and connectors so it's not as clean looking.  I think we need to understand the difference in sound quality between this modification approach vs getting both ultra products outright.  An other CA membert reported the SOtM 

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I second this.  It will be great if someone can tell if option 1 is good enough:

1. sMS-200 ► Intona ► DAC ($450+$250=$700)

2. sMS-200 ► tX-USBultra ► DAC ($450+$990=$1,440)

3. sMS-200 ► sCLK-EX ► DAC ($450+$750+$200=$1,400)

4. sMS-200Ultra ► DAC ($1,200)

5. sMS-200Ultra ► tX-USBultra ► DAC (No! Redundant)

Option 1 has galvanic isolation.  The rest do not.

8 minutes ago, limniscate said:

I plan to get both dX-USB Ultra and sMS-200 Utlra, but it may be hard to compare to @austinpop's modded sMS-200 because I'm most likely getting the 12V version.

I didn't know that they have a dX ultra or do you mean the tX-USB ultra?