IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

5 minutes ago, sotm.kim said:

@Lockeray

Could you re-burn micro sd card to reset Eunhasu system first? And then, you need to use wired lan cable to check hardware was normal or not. After wired cable check, update Eunhasu system to V0.3.8 because of supporting TP-Link AC1300. Of course, insert your wifi dongle after update done. Check is light on dongle. That light means the system recognized your dongle.

@MayfromSOtM

Thanks for the suggestion May. I will go through and apply the steps tonight. Will update again if the issue resolved. Thank you

I'm new to the SMS-200 (ultra actually) and have a question.

I use HQ Player NAA and there is a newer version out than installed on the SMS-200. No firmware update for the SMS yet though. Is it possible to update the HQ Player NAA only? and how?

Thanks

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

59 minutes ago, zoltan said:

I'm new to the SMS-200 (ultra actually) and have a question.

I use HQ Player NAA and there is a newer version out than installed on the SMS-200. No firmware update for the SMS yet though. Is it possible to update the HQ Player NAA only? and how?

Thanks

Normally, sotm implement it by means of an update.

On 6/19/2017 at 2:41 AM, sarbel said:

wonder if anyone here bothered to test Raspberry 3 with LPS-1 or similar, same-level LPSU against the sms-200 or microRendu.

I myself am using RP3 with digi+ and Terakdak 30W PSU and love what I hear

(using hegel DAC and AMP)

I believe Raspberry 3 like the previous generations of Raspberry are still using shared bus between USB and Ethernet so adding an LPS-1 is a more expensive option than changing the Raspberry all together to gain better result.  I hope I didn't open a can of worms here.

5 hours ago, Jean Plum said:

I have downloaded v3.9 and see the static IP option in system config.. Is there any chance one of you chaps could provide an Idiots Guide as to how to proceed for the less gifted here ?

To select the TCP/IP address shown as a Static address just tap/select the DHCP icon.  Perhaps you could advise why you want it to be static?

17 hours ago, Jean Plum said:

I have downloaded v3.9 and see the static IP option in system config.. Is there any chance one of you chaps could provide an Idiots Guide as to how to proceed for the less gifted here ?

Under normal operating conditions, there is usually no need to set a static IP address on sMS-200. Even if you want to connect it directly to your music server running a bridged network, the bridge still enables the sMS-200 to communicate with the DHCP server in your network (typically your router) to get a dynamic IP address. 

So if you're not experienced with networking, I strongly recommend you not mess with static IPs, since you really need to know what you're doing.

With that caveat, here's a quick primer on static IP configuration. Note: you need to be able to login to your router to inspect some settings. Make sure you have the credentials (id/pw) to do so.

Step 1: log in to your router, and look for the following. You may have to poke around, but this will usually be in tabs or sections for LAN and DHCP:

• Router's IP address:           192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 usually
  • Subnet mask:                      255.255.255.0 usually
  • DHCP address range          - usually specified by a start and end address: Note this range!
  • DNS servers:                        typically 2 IP addresses your router gets from your ISP

Now, on your sMS-200, you need to set 4 values, as shown in this screen shot:

59567f35d2d73_ScreenShot2017-06-30at11_40_22AM.thumb.png.ac73aaac77189fed982f586bba61446d.png

IP address:                    select an unused IP address. It is vital ensure you're not conflicting with another device. 

With the power of static IPs comes responsibility. You need to know all the static IP addresses in use.

This is where people get into the most trouble.

Pick an address that is - a) outside the DHCP range, and b) not already in use.

avoid "reserved" addresses like 192.168.x.0 or 192.168.x.255

Gateway address:         set to router's IP address

Subnet mask:                set to subnet mask from router

DNS server:                   set to DNS servers from router. Note: some routers provide a DNS relay feature,

where devices on the network can set the router address as the DNS server.

You can usually check if this is the case by looking at the settings of an existing device on your network. 

Or, just set this to the DNS addresses directly.

Note: some people prefer to use Google's DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Under normal operating conditions, there is usually no need to set a static IP address on sMS-200. Even if you want to connect it directly to your music server running a bridged network, the bridge still enables the sMS-200 to communicate with the DHCP server in your network (typically your router) to get a dynamic IP address. 

So if you're not experienced with networking, I strongly recommend you not mess with static IPs, since you really need to know what you're doing.

With that caveat, here's a quick primer on static IP configuration. Note: you need to be able to login to your router to inspect some settings. Make sure you have the credentials (id/pw) to do so.

Step 1: log in to your router, and look for the following. You may have to poke around, but this will usually be in tabs or sections for LAN and DHCP:

• DHCP address range          - usually specified by a start and end address: Note this range!
  • DNS servers:                        typically 2 IP addresses your router gets from your ISP

59567f35d2d73_ScreenShot2017-06-30at11_40_22AM.thumb.png.ac73aaac77189fed982f586bba61446d.png

IP address:                    select an unused IP address. It is vital ensure you're not conflicting with another device. 

With the power of static IPs comes responsibility. You need to know all the static IP addresses in use.

DNS server:                   set to DNS servers from router. Note: some routers provide a DNS relay feature,

You can usually check if this is the case by looking at the settings of an existing device on your network. 

super awesome instructions!  only upgrade is that i suggest changing the dhcp range to 100 to 200 and use 2-99 for your static ip addresses -- many routers have the dhcp range set as the whole thing (2 to 255)

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
28 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

super awesome instructions!  only upgrade is that i suggest changing the dhcp range to 100 to 200 and use 2-99 for your static ip addresses -- many routers have the dhcp range set as the whole thing (2 to 255)

Good point. I was trying not to complicate things for network novices!

But yeah - if your router reserves the whole range for DHCP, you need to take action first as suggested.

I use a static IP on my sMS-200 and even the µRendu when I had it.  I prefer this route so I can take my device to another location and use a spare router that I bring so it automatically works every single time.  

Eero.PNG

SMS.PNG

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

On 6/29/2017 at 6:04 PM, tedwoods said:

Update 3.9 is out and it adds Librespot and the ability to set static ip!

I have a NUC with 2 ethernet ports. The SOTM200 is connected to one port and the other is used to connect to my router. I cannot use the "standard" bridging method (impossible under WS2016-core) so I have used a DHCP program (www.dhcpserver.de) to give the SOTM an address. With the possibility of a static IP address for the SOTM200 I no longer need the DHCP program. Simplifies my setup.

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

Many thanks.

4 hours ago, austinpop said:

Read more  

Danny Dulai from Roon set up ROCK into subnets instead of using bridged interface to prevent packets coming from the cloud or from NAS from polluting the music renderer.  In a bridged interface set-up, packets could go all the way to the music rendered, i.e. sMS-200 in this case, so it is not the preferred method from design point of view.

To set-up subnets, the only way to create separate IP groups is through the use of static IP.  I believe this is a better set-up because it stops unnecessary packets from their tracks confining them only up the the Music Server so only pure and clean packets from the Music server goes into the sMS-200. 

Here's how it looks like:

2017-06-30 13_56_02-Bridged and Subnet.pptx - Microsoft PowerPoint.png

37 minutes ago, TopQuark said:

to prevent packets coming from the cloud or from NAS from polluting the music renderer.  In a bridged interface set-up, packets could go all the way to the music rendered

You are welcome to try this, if you are network savvy, but for non-gurus, setting up 2 subnets is adding needless complexity. For myself, I did try the 2-subnet approach, and did not hear any SQ difference going to 2 subnets. Note: did hear the benefit to the bridging approach.

Also, I would question the 2-subnet rationale above. Let me state up front that I do not definitively know the OS kernel internals of network bridges, as implemented in Windows, MacOS, and Linux. But I would bet that they implement some of the same logic as physical switches, such as address learning, and spanning tree algorithms to avoid forwarding loops and frame flooding. See https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/ethernet-switches/9781449367299/ch01.html

What I mean by this is that there is every likelihood that Ethernet frames entering the bridged machine from upstream that are not addressed to the renderer, will not even be forwarded to the port connected to the renderer.

I think this (educated) conjecture likely explains why I heard no SQ difference.

You are welcome to try this, if you are network savvy, but for non-gurus, setting up 2 subnets is adding needless complexity.

For those in Roon world, this is already ROCK's default.  Interface bridging is not possible.  I just thought it's nice to see Roon's developer acknowledged and support interface bridging (thanks to @romaz) and even went one step further in shielding the music renderer.

For myself, I did try the 2-subnet approach, and did not hear any SQ difference going to 2 subnets. Note: did hear the benefit to the bridging approach.

I just brought that up on the design approach. I'm sure benefits, if any, will depend on the system used in the chain.

Hello, I have a brand new SMS-200 Ultra that i am trying to set up, however when i switch it on, the led on the right keeps blinking. This has been going on for at least 10' and i am unable to access the web ui. Is this normal the first time it starts and am i supposed to let it finish some initial boot cycle? Any hints appreciated, thank you in advance.

@MayfromSOtM as much as I like my sMS-200, the one thing I find annoying is having to completely reconfigure the unit for airplay or Roon.  I use Roon 98% of the time but on occasion would like to throw something from Apple Music to the sMS-200 without having to completely reconfigure it.

Why is this such a technological barrier?

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

On 01/07/2017 at 0:05 AM, austinpop said:

I'm curious about the SQ improvement when we try to bridge connection to sms200. Is it easy to recognize any difference?

3 hours ago, welldone said:

I'm curious about the SQ improvement when we try to bridge connection to sms200. Is it easy to recognize any difference?

There is a huge thread on this topic: 

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100