IGNORED

Music for testing Audio Equipment

On 9/25/2019 at 9:04 PM, oso said:

Tom Waits.

Superb album.

Very fine placement of all the instruments. And fine production. I love that album. And check out the "bottle" qoute from Herbie Hancock's "Watermelon Man" and the very end of "Train Song"

On 4/28/2015 at 12:23 PM, oso said:

Hi Pap

great list.

I took the Carmen Gomes ''I'm on Fire'' file and played it on various equipment around the house; speakers, headphones, and it was just like you described, on lower quality speakers and phones the lower notes of the bass and the bass drum becomes a low end mess,

but when moving up in quality they become two separate instruments playing along in beautiful unison.

And it was quiet fun to hear how slowly the whole thing opened up as I moved up in quality.

I then repeated the process with an old favorite of mine Cassandra Wilsons ''Love is Blindness'' which has the same kind of problem frequency, bass and bass drum but now the problematic low end remained. It kept on being a bit muddy.

So I get your point, the ''I'm on Fire'' file is a great test for low end clarity.

Wilson is  a dead ringer for Diana Krall in this example!

In a similar vein, and as an example of a "system bustin' " track - I'm sure I've posted this before, but can't see where - this Skyhook's effort - from a proper CD quality version, of course!! - ticks all the boxes,

The finale should lift off the roof - in a good way ... in terms of a musical 'climax' they don't get much better ... 😜.

On 11/6/2019 at 8:09 PM, FredericV said:

In France, this is one of their favorite demo tracks, which you should play when doing demo's and shows:

Track: Melody
Serge Gainsbourg
Histoire De Melody Nelson - 40ème Anniversaire

image.thumb.png.1b160bf13ea546de7274fe346acee299.png

This is a great album, I've been listening to it quite a lot. 

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

On 11/6/2019 at 6:09 PM, FredericV said:

In France, this is one of their favorite demo tracks, which you should play when doing demo's and shows:

Track: Melody
Serge Gainsbourg
Histoire De Melody Nelson - 40ème Anniversaire

image.thumb.png.1b160bf13ea546de7274fe346acee299.png

very special indeed. Very extreme balance of the instruments and use of reverb, judging from this youtube video;

I'll order the CD.

• 2 weeks later...