IGNORED

Music for testing Audio Equipment

Yuri Honing Trio - Star Tracks is now available on Qobuz for £5.76!! RB CD again but SQ on Walking On The Moon is superb (the best 79p you'll ever spend musically especially if you're a tight wad!!!). The instrument balance/mix is a bit uneven on one or two tracks, but most definitely a bargain for good SQ.

Yuri Honing Trio Star Tracks

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

Star Tracks is a very fine album indeed.

If Red Book quality is good enough then the 1st album of the thread a0642215549_16.jpg is available

at BandCamp for $7 https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/album/thousand-shades-of-blue.

Placement is perfect on this young audiophile classic as well as the near perfect natural recording of the voice, but the real test for audio equipment when listening to this recording is it's ability to separate the kickdrum from the upright bass.

The two instruments are playing the same pattern. On less than optimum equipment it might be difficult to separate the two, but with good setup you clearly hear the upright at 10.00 and the kick dead center with a nice decay that one generally do not hear on commercial recordings.

There are lots of speakers and headphones with ''extended lows'' but low with definition is a whole different ballgame.

Hifi;

Her warm, enormously talented and controlled voice is completely unique and she knows how to get pure emotion across to the listener ...

The sound of the album is exemplary with dynamics of an addictive quality......the drums are practically visual and one feels as if one could reach out and and actually touch the singer.

Eric de Boer - Hifi

On 7/5/2018 at 7:12 PM, biosailor said:

HC_R_TJL.jpeg.ecbeb82e716545ac341adbd3fa6a9d1f.jpeg

I'd like to propose another record: Herbie Hancock's 'River: the Joni Letters'. Whether it is suitable to test your audio equipment I do not really know. But it is a phenomenally well recorded album.

+1. An excellent tribute album . And Very Very well recorded indeed, so it should be on the thread.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I go to the swapmeet just about every wednesday (fish tacos for 99cents), and just to get a bit of walking in and I always look at cd collections for sale.  I picked up this cd which is now another added to my favorites.

great piano solo

I believe i heard of him before, but i never had him in my collection....after googling, i was amazed how popular he is, especially in jazz concerts in europe.

Keith Jarrett is a jazz icon. Some of the best examples of a jazz piano are by him on the ECM label. The above is a personal favorite of mine. Not so much because of the sq but because of the very emotional musical statement being made.

For SQ I can recommend "Rio'' 

The album from Wolfgang Haffner ‚Kind of Cool‘ is for me a wonderfully balanced recording. I’m listening to the 88.2/24 hardcopy straight from my Samsung T5 SSD and there is just about nothing that sounds wrong, everything is smooth, no over-represented highs, good bass, but not out of proportion. It just sounds right, maybe a tad too smooth. Because the recording is so good, I keep wondering where the occasional brightness or bloated bass is. And the music is fantastic! A true gem!

CDB5CBE2-1382-4F5D-B19A-79ABE69E0F56.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2018 at 8:20 AM, beerandmusic said:

Thanks yea, that is exactly why i liked "i loves you porgy", very emotional... The entire "Melody at night" CD is great.  After I got that cd, which i really loved, i started searching for more of his music, but none i found was much to my liking.  I tend to love "ballads"...it just works for my anxiety and ADD...i never like "progressive".  Rio was very nice until it got a minute in...he goes soft again, but the fast stuff kills it for me....i can tell Rio is well "designed" and many will like it, but i need it ballad all the way through for my liking.

Actually I can't play " I loves you Porgy "  when my wife is at home, as she immediately burst into tears. 

On 11/16/2018 at 2:11 AM, fas42 said:

Tribute albums can have brilliant material - this one I've mentioned before, for Hound Dog Taylor, is an amazing power ride of driving tracks, as good as it gets ...

Power Blues! wow. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

More amazing that so many people are down on microphones - clever little bastards, they react to all the sound impinging on their diaphragms, just like our ears, and a half decent recording chain captures that information ... :P.

All recordings have the information, no matter how it was captured; but usually it's buried deeper in the mix. This means that the playback chain has to be on its best behaviour, to make all those acoustic clues clear - and most times, that's not the case ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2019 at 11:30 PM, fas42 said:

More amazing that so many people are down on microphones - clever little bastards, they react to all the sound impinging on their diaphragms, just like our ears, and a half decent recording chain captures that information ... :P.

All recordings have the information, no matter how it was captured; but usually it's buried deeper in the mix. This means that the playback chain has to be on its best behaviour, to make all those acoustic clues clear - and most times, that's not the case ...

It looks like a pretty big little bastard that microphone🙂

CarmenDYC3.jpg

On 2/8/2019 at 10:49 AM, blue2 said:

Wouldn't you know :) To prove the point about microphones check this new Carmen Gomez album 'Don't You Cry' on special offer - single microphone recording sounds fantastic! Kudos to @metalnuts

DXD, DSD, FLAC high res … decisions, decisions :)

And what an approach, mixing on the spot: 

"Multi track recording has advantages and disadvantages. The good is that you can make an instrument louder or softer as you please. The bad thing when the recording is done in one room is phase. Maybe, the most time consuming aspect of our way of recording is getting the phase between the mics right. Frans de Rond is a true genius in that field and his expertise is one of the secrets to our well defined sound stage. Now with only one mic the challenge lay elsewhere. Mixing was no longer possible. We would have to make the complete sound stage right there by carefully moving each instrument closer or further away as well as left and right in relationship to the microphone. Carmen was given a headphone so she could hear exactly what the mic was hearing. She could then direct the musicians and with hand gestures let each band member play louder or softer." source: https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/408-carmen-gomes-inc-dont-you-cry

• 2 weeks later...