IGNORED

Music for testing Audio Equipment

On 3/11/2020 at 12:00 AM, PAP said:

I don't think I can hear a difference between 352 and 96 but the Sound Liaison DXD recordings seems even more impressive than their 24/96 .

Compare the 2 Witmer trio recordings;

spacer.png DXD vs 24/96 spacer.png

That would suggests that when recording in DXD there are benefits.

This is the equipment used on the Witmer album;

Used equipment:

Microphones:
Cajan: Rens Heijnis RCM-402 (2x)
Han: Josephson C700
Maarten: Josephson C617 (overhead) / Audix D6 (kick drum)
Main system - Schoeps MK5 (AB)

Micpre's: Merging Horus Premium
Microphone cables: AudioQuest / Mogami
Mixing speakers: TAD Compact Evolution One
Mixing headphones: Sennheiser HD800s
Power Amplifier: Moon 760A
Speaker cables: AudioQuest Aspen
Power Conditioner: AudioQuest Niagara 5000

On March 1, 2020 at 4:13 PM, sandyk said:

Barry Diament disagrees with that. He says that 24/192 gets very close to what he hears through his microphone feed, and is virtually indistinguishable. This is why all his recent recordings are 24/192 , not 24/96 of the earlier recordings

If Barry Diament disagrees with what I said then Barry Diament himself can come on these forums and say so.

I'm sticking to what I said: HOW a mic is used in a particular project has far more impact, audibly, than what format is used to capture it.

4 hours ago, ted_b said:

K-Man, DXD is the industry's acronym for 24/352k PCM.  It developed out of the need to edit within a DSD workflow, and 24/352 was chosen.  Over simplified.

So it's just another format - just what I suspected.  Again, content, session procedures, choices of mics, amount/types of processing in post, all matter far more than format.

You don't know me that well, do you...

Allow me to introduce myself,

-The ANTIFORMAT...

;)

DXD is Pcm.

And here is a free format comparison sampler:

spacer.pngTest your DAC! Free Format Comparison

All the different formats have the same source file, DXD 352kHz (Studio Master).
We used the AUL ConverteR 48x44 for the conversion to DSD and Wavelab for the conversion to the other PCM formats and FLAC.
When you compare different sample rates always start with the lowest resolution.
During listening don't focus too much, hearing is as individual as taste but hearing is also something which can be acquired, like the taste of good wine.

You can choose from the following formats:

1.  DXD 352kHz
2.  PCM 192kHz
3.  PCM 176kHz
4.  PCM 96kHz
5.  PCM 44kHz
6.  DSD 256
7.  DSD 128
8.  DSD 64
9 . FLAC 352kHz
10. FLAC 192kHz
11. FLAC 96kHz

The song is called 'A Fool For You' and is performed by Carmen Gomes Inc.
It’s taken from the album 'Carmen Sings The Blues'-carmen-gomes-sings-the-blues

22 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

Splittn' hairs.  Anyone who can honestly hear a difference probably eats Alpo and chases squirrels.

-The ANTIFORMAT

what are your suggestions K-Man? Would you have a few favorite albums for the thread?

3 hours ago, PAP said:

what are your suggestions K-Man? Would you have a few favorite albums for the thread?

My tastes probably aren't high-brow enough, but here goes:

Aaron Copland - Greatest Hits(Fanfare For The Comman Man, El Salon, etc.)

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Michael Jackson - Off The Wall, Thriller

The Police - Oultlandos d'Amor, Ghost In The Machine, Synchronicity

Rossini - any Greatest Hits that includes William Tell and Barber of Seville

Steely Dan - Aja

Donna Summer - The Dance Collection - LP or CD (Proof that dance music doesn't need the SCHITT compressed out of it!)

Ninety-nine Percenter stuff, y'know? ;)

-The ANTIFORMAT

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 4:23 PM, The_K-Man said:

Just remember, any difference you hear between the 24/96 and the 24/192 is 90% attributable to the mixing and/or mastering of each.

On 3/1/2020 at 10:13 PM, sandyk said:

Barry Diament disagrees with that. He says that 24/192 gets very close to what he hears through his microphone feed, and is virtually indistinguishable. This is why all his recent recordings are 24/192 , not 24/96 of the earlier recordings

Frans de Rond says 

"We're recording in 352kHz, aka DXD format, using Merging equipment because of the sound. We have compared 192 kHz to 352kHz (DXD) and especially at the recording stage you hear a clear difference. DXD has a more accurate sound stage and more depth. It sounds more natural...actually closer to analog."

quote taken from Joe Whips fine article on him in this forum, sound-liaison-one-mic-recordings

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 5:56 PM, PAP said:

Check out the latest  ONE MIC RECORDINGS the SQ is maybe  even better than the 2 best album award winners.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Yes both extremely well recorded, and the music is good too, maybe a little more highbrow than the Gomes or the Feenbrothers but nevertheless audiophile must haves.

All their albums are on a 20 % discount at the moment: https://www.soundliaison.com/

On 4/19/2020 at 7:37 PM, PAP said:

Frans de Rond says 

"We're recording in 352kHz, aka DXD format, using Merging equipment because of the sound. We have compared 192 kHz to 352kHz (DXD) and especially at the recording stage you hear a clear difference. DXD has a more accurate sound stage and more depth. It sounds more natural...actually closer to analog."

quote taken from Joe Whips fine article on him in this forum, sound-liaison-one-mic-recordings

I wonder if Barry would go up to 352 nowadays as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Barry Diament and Frans De Rond seems to agree on the essentials;

from the https://www.soundliaison.com/ website; 

In a sense when recording with one microphone the mix is done before I press record.
I have to make the complete sound stage on the spot by carefully moving each instrument closer or further away as well as left and right in relationship to the microphone.
Listening to the results of this approach the advantages are obvious; phase coherence, perfect imaging, great sense of depth and superior realism.
Another advantage is that it forces the band being recorded to really 

play. There is nowhere to hide, no fixing it in the mix, it’s now or never.

from the http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.com/ website;

All our recordings are done on location, live to stereo with no overdubs or mixes.  All music must be original (unless it is in the public domain).  Artists must be able to play live, without a public address system and without headphones.  All takes are complete performances, balanced by the artist.

On 2/29/2020 at 4:23 PM, The_K-Man said:

Just remember, any difference you hear between the 24/96 and the 24/192 is 90% attributable to the mixing and/or mastering of each.

I guess  Barry Diament knows what he is talking about, he must have good ears, he was the mastering engineer on many an audiophiles Holy Grail album; The Eagles - Hotel California.

2 hours ago, PAP said:

I guess  Barry Diament knows what he is talking about, he must have good ears, he was the mastering engineer on many an audiophiles Holy Grail album; The Eagles - Hotel California.

Barry's wife has very good ears too.When she was younger she could hear 23kHz. !

Here are some of his other albums from his time at Atlantic Records

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/essential-barry-diament-masterings.131468/
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/essential-barry-diament-masterings-part-2.220334/page-12

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020