IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

4 minutes ago, matthias said:

Thanks,

did you compare the 5S to the Oyaide Pro USB cables?

Matt

My local store only had the 5S for sale. The Pro cables are not available in stores for consumers. 

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

On 2/23/2019 at 5:48 PM, jon2020 said:

My local store only had the 5S for sale. The Pro cables are not available in stores for consumers. 

They are available to consumers, just from Pro Music stores, not consumer audio stores. That is stores selling equipment primarily for making music as opposed to stores selling equipment primarily for listening to music.

3 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

They are available to consumers, just from Pro Music stores, not consumer audio stores. That is stores selling equipment primarily for making music as opposed to stores selling equipment primarily for listening to music.

Did a quick search and EBay sells them :-

https://www.ebay.com.sg/b/oyaide-Pro-Audio-Cables-Snakes-Interconnects/41459/bn_3131823

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

just ordered the Ghent audio cable and will compare it to the carbon that I currently own and if I can dig it out the Wireworld silver cable I have. Not sure how long it will take from China to get to Florida but for $35 it seemed a worthy risk.

On 3/9/2019 at 8:33 AM, jp11801 said:

just ordered the Ghent audio cable and will compare it to the carbon that I currently own and if I can dig it out the Wireworld silver cable I have. Not sure how long it will take from China to get to Florida but for $35 it seemed a worthy risk.

I received my Ghent JSSG360 USB cable a little over a week ago. It replaced a Supra that I had been using since moving from a Dante AOIP setup to using Audiolinux via USB. It took a week for the Ghent to settle down but once it did the improvement was not subtle. This is the best that my system has ever sounded.

I liked the Supra. It has a warm, Technicolor sound with a satisfying, slight;y forward, mid-range that makes it engaging. The Ghent is remarkably transparent with more realistic detail. It has remarkable soundstage presentation and localization. It is more neutral and convincing, with better dynamics to the point of giving my Alnico single driver speakers real slam.

I would have never thought that a USB cable could make such a difference since we all know that "bits are bits". Right?

I suspect that it is the well thought out build quality, careful construction, and the JSSG360 shielding scheme that filters out most everything but those music laden bits. "Bits are still bits" but you now weed out unwanted "not-music"...

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 hour ago, mourip said:

I received my Ghent JSSG360 USB cable a little over a week ago. It replaced a Supra that I had been using since moving from a Dante AOIP setup to using Audiolinux via USB. It took a week for the Ghent to settle down but once it did the improvement was not subtle. This is the best that my system has ever sounded.

I agree on the Ghent USB 360. I pulled mine out again recently as I needed another one and am pleasantly surprised how good it sounds.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

I tried to order the Ghent dual head USB cable but the purchase wouldn't go through (Paypal with both Visa and M/Card). Possibly they don't ship to Canada? The website doesn't have any explanation that I could find.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

55 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I tried to order the Ghent dual head USB cable but the purchase wouldn't go through (Paypal with both Visa and M/Card). Possibly they don't ship to Canada? The website doesn't have any explanation that I could find.

When in doubt try a different browser. I've found symptoms like that usually  to be because the web page coding was for IE and not tested with Firefox...

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hey all, been following this thread for awhile....

On cable differences I quickly went to this device 'iFi Audio iDefender3.0 USB Ground Loop Eliminator' because it seemed to me the first act is to eliminate noise from the computer power feeding into the dac. This adapter has a micro usb input which, if plugged in, interrupts the power from the computer and supplies it from your external supply. Using a plugged in external power supply made a huge difference, easy to go back and forth to compare what I heard (plug then unplug). The sound of the music reproduction having an edgy glare was significantly reduced when using the external power supply.

I also tried a switching power supply and a linear power supply. The linear power supply was superior with further glare and noise reduction. Could hear more into soundstage.

My next step was a *doh* realization that I am using an older macbook and have an optical out. Switched over to optical out and it is far superior to usb. This is how I have the hook up now so I am out of the USB world.

So if you have an optical out this would seem to be the way to remove computer electrical noise from getting into your dac. If you don't have the optical out as an option I recommend using the 'iFi Audio iDefender3.0 USB Ground Loop Eliminator' with a linear power supply.

It would be interesting to hear if USB cables continue to make a sonic difference once this device is in place and bypassing the computer power,

1 hour ago, xyzzy1 said:

Hey all, been following this thread for awhile....

On cable differences I quickly went to this device 'iFi Audio iDefender3.0 USB Ground Loop Eliminator' because it seemed to me the first act is to eliminate noise from the computer power feeding into the dac. This adapter has a micro usb input which, if plugged in, interrupts the power from the computer and supplies it from your external supply. Using a plugged in external power supply made a huge difference, easy to go back and forth to compare what I heard (plug then unplug). The sound of the music reproduction having an edgy glare was significantly reduced when using the external power supply.

I also tried a switching power supply and a linear power supply. The linear power supply was superior with further glare and noise reduction. Could hear more into soundstage.

My next step was a *doh* realization that I am using an older macbook and have an optical out. Switched over to optical out and it is far superior to usb. This is how I have the hook up now so I am out of the USB world.

So if you have an optical out this would seem to be the way to remove computer electrical noise from getting into your dac. If you don't have the optical out as an option I recommend using the 'iFi Audio iDefender3.0 USB Ground Loop Eliminator' with a linear power supply.

It would be interesting to hear if USB cables continue to make a sonic difference once this device is in place and bypassing the computer power,

Usb implementation for audio has improved by leaps and bounds since your old Mac(no offense intended).

Get a used server like the entry model Aurender N100H and you will be amazed by the difference in SQ compared to the optical output from your Mac.  :)

Jon

3 hours ago, jon2020 said:

Usb implementation for audio has improved by leaps and bounds since your old Mac(no offense intended).

Get a used server like the entry model Aurender N100H and you will be amazed by the difference in SQ compared to the optical output from your Mac.  :)

No offense taken and thanks!... I know it and hear it!

I am into high-end audio but not yet ready to lay down this kind of coin for digital when the tech is still evolving so rapidly. Every few months brings on new generation of dacs & streamers at all price points with better sonics than the previous. Though, I have spent well more than twice the original price of this Aurender streamer on my turntable!

For now I need an inexpensive streamer/dac combo that has passable & engaging sound quality while continuing to await the higher priced dac/streamer gear to evolve to a point where 6 months later is not guaranteed obsolescence.

Have been checking the $500 and less price point dacs every year or so. Using the digital coax out from my CD player and listening to the dac would have me returning the dac.

Finally a current generation low priced dac that is not digital grating and fatiguing to listen to.

The iFi Audio iDefender was a noticeable improvement after I started using a usb computer connection. Hence my post here as the iFi Audio iDefender would be a positive sonics move for anyone using a standard mac/pc computer as the streamer.

Someday will be all-in with an investment in digital when it nears or outdoes my turntable. That ain't yet though.

21 hours ago, xyzzy1 said:

No offense taken and thanks!... I know it and hear it!

I am into high-end audio but not yet ready to lay down this kind of coin for digital when the tech is still evolving so rapidly. Every few months brings on new generation of dacs & streamers at all price points with better sonics than the previous. Though, I have spent well more than twice the original price of this Aurender streamer on my turntable!

For now I need an inexpensive streamer/dac combo that has passable & engaging sound quality while continuing to await the higher priced dac/streamer gear to evolve to a point where 6 months later is not guaranteed obsolescence.

Have been checking the $500 and less price point dacs every year or so. Using the digital coax out from my CD player and listening to the dac would have me returning the dac.

Finally a current generation low priced dac that is not digital grating and fatiguing to listen to.

The iFi Audio iDefender was a noticeable improvement after I started using a usb computer connection. Hence my post here as the iFi Audio iDefender would be a positive sonics move for anyone using a standard mac/pc computer as the streamer.

Someday will be all-in with an investment in digital when it nears or outdoes my turntable. That ain't yet though.

This age-old debate of vinyl vs digital will rage on long after our ears are all gone from age.......  :)

Jon

On 2/20/2019 at 12:18 PM, HumanMedia said:

I have tried the Curious, wasn’t to my taste, I won’t elaborate unless you really want to know why. I might have posted my thoughts in more detail a couple of years ago (in this thread?) 

I’ve only tried the first generation of WireWorld, still have a couple in a drawer, I’m on the train so I can’t check the models, but I think one was called the Ultra Violet (?) and the other has Silver in its name. The Ultra Violet was very uneven and it’s presentation and a bit rough. The Silver was way more even but the highs were a bit pushed. I have had no experience with the last couple of WireWorld ranges.

As the honeymoon wanes Im still loving the Oyaide Class A, and have no desire to try any new USB cables, at least for now 🙂

I’m curious, for what reason do you prefer the Oyaide over the Curious cable?

Is one less bright than the other?

Thanks

On 3/20/2019 at 5:29 AM, HumanMedia said:

The Oyaide is relatively neutral, presenting the full frequency range evenly and clearly. To me and in my system the Curious sounded ‘less bright’ but in a bad way, it seemed like it rolled off quickly over 10khz and below 80hz. It might compensate for a system with elevated high frequencies and treble problems, but does it by fixing the problem with another problem. Lower bass dropped off quickly too. The Curious midrange was very creamy, but in an artificial way, like you are on methadone, in one sense perceivable as pleasurable but with a constant feeling of ‘not right’ and artificial-ness. It is faux smooth, different and interesting at first, but quickly feels like an effect rather than real naturalness. The Oyaide feels like it just steps out of the way and presents music.

BTW still very happy with the Oyaide

Many thanks for your comparison notes with the Curious cable.

I have actually been considering "upgrading" to the Curious for some time now up until I read this ......

Cheers! :)

Jon

On 3/22/2019 at 9:28 AM, hytechrednek said:

I also have the Ghent USB and it easily outperforms the Supra or the Curious USB cable in my system.  Unfortunately no experience with their Ethernet cable.

The listening experience of forumers in this thread who have actually compared their own cables with the Curious merit consideration. 

Jon

On 3/21/2019 at 9:28 PM, hytechrednek said:

I also have the Ghent USB and it easily outperforms the Supra or the Curious USB cable in my system.  Unfortunately no experience with their Ethernet cable.

11 hours ago, jon2020 said:

The listening experience of forumers in this thread who have actually compared their own cables with the Curious merit consideration. 

I am probably missing something but he did compare those USB cables ...which is the topic here. He simply mentioned that he had not tried their ethernet cables which is not the topic here.

Perhaps someone will want to start an ethernet cable comparison thread?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

On 3/21/2019 at 11:48 AM, Allan F said:

Your profile does not list your audio system. As the effect of cables is highly system dependent, it would be helpful if you were to provide details of the system on which you made these observations. In my system, the Curious USB cable exhibits none of the characteristics that you describe. In fact, It sounds extremely neutral, natural and musical and has proved to be superior to a number of highly regarded USB cables, including the Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7, Light Harmonic Lightspeed 10G, and Phasure Lush.

I was referring to this poster who did not compare the Curious with the Oyaide but called out the poster who actually compared and shared his listening experience.......

Jon