IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

In short, no.

Is it returnable?  If so, the question becomes "Is it worth the effort and/or return fee to try it out?"

I would contact the DAC manf. and ask them for advice.  Some DACs are nearly impervious to EMF transmitted along a USB cable; others are not.  For the latter, an isolator device is sometimes helpful and usually a lot cheaper than swapping cables.

If you do want to get into cable swapping I would say try the Lush.

32 minutes ago, Kimo said:

I recently set up an Innuos Zenith server and am running it into a Linnenberg Telemann DAC.  Currently, I am using a Belkin Gold USB cable, but am considering an upgrade to an Audioquest Carbon.

Is the Carbon worth adding?  I have only heard the Belkin in system.

I know from a german hifi forum that the Habst Ultra III USB is superb with the Telemann.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

1 hour ago, Kimo said:

I recently set up an Innuos Zenith server and am running it into a Linnenberg Telemann DAC.  Currently, I am using a Belkin Gold USB cable, but am considering an upgrade to an Audioquest Carbon.

You should try the audioquest carbon cable to see if you can hear a positive difference using music you are very familiar with and would allow you to discern if there is more clarity, previously unheard rhythms from background obscured instruments, dimensionality to the music, etc. Using music you have heard a lot on your system will allow you to hear/discern added or subtracted music reproduction quality.

These folks do loaners for a small fee.

https://www.thecableco.com/

You don’t mention the rest of your system and honestly, you need an audio system built from components that fall into the high-end category to readily discern differences between cables. I assume you already have a fixation on music where it is a primary activity for you like most audiophiles if you are looking to improve your music reproduction and enjoyment. 

4 minutes ago, xyzzy1 said:

You don’t mention the rest of your system and honestly, you need an audio system built from components that fall into the high-end category to readily discern differences between cables. I assume you already have a fixation on music where it is a primary activity for you like most audiophiles if you are looking to improve your music reproduction and enjoyment. 

Rest of the system includes Alta Audio FRM speakers and eventually likely will also include the Linnenberg Widor.  DAC and amp at purported 21 bits of SNR is pretty state of art, so difference should be relatively easy to discern.  My ears and room may be more of a limitation, than the equipment.  

2 hours ago, Kimo said:

Rest of the system includes Alta Audio FRM speakers and eventually likely will also include the Linnenberg Widor.  DAC and amp at purported 21 bits of SNR is pretty state of art, so difference should be relatively easy to discern.  My ears and room may be more of a limitation, than the equipment.  

I have not heard music being played on these pieces of equipment so unfortunately I’m unable to offer any advice except to experiment. 

What I can tell you is don’t underestimate your ears. Lots of folks I know with no high-end experience have heard their favorite songs/music on my high end systems and heard instruments and rhythms and artist techniques they had never heard before even though they’ve heard their favorite songs countless times.

If your Alta Audio FRM speakers and Linnenberg Widor dac/amp are good resolving pieces of equpment your favorite songs/music will reveal whether the cables help improve your music reproduction. Go back and forth between the cables and listen for that extra something. On good equipment the differences are often quite obvious. 

14 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

She clarified her original post.  Originally, it looked like she wanted to alter the original sound to be more euphonic (warm, pleasing) - something I am not really opposed to....

Sal's position is that the reproduction chain must be accurate, no matter what.

Later, she said that she wanted the reproduction chain to preserve the euphonic characteristics of the original recording.

This is an old debate; has been an active topic both recently and even this am.

The real issue I think is what do you do when the evil recording engineer made things sound 'bad' - overly clinical??

Sorry I wasn't more clear in my original post. I don't know what makes an audio component warm or cold, as both types have identical or nearly identical specifications. So what I was saying is both types are accurate, I just prefer warm accuracy over cold accuracy. 

I have my favorite recording engineers and want to enjoy their work without any added colorations. With the right equipment there are some very warm, pleasingly realistic audiophile recordings from them.

I get rid of bad sounding and overly clinical recordings. Of course, my music collection isn't very large because of how picky I am, however the music I keep and play is thoroughly enjoyable.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

7 hours ago, Teresa said:

Sorry I wasn't more clear in my original post. I don't know what makes an audio component warm or cold, as both types have identical or nearly identical specifications. So what I was saying is both types are accurate, I just prefer warm accuracy over cold accuracy. 

I have my favorite recording engineers and want to enjoy their work without any added colorations. With the right equipment there are some very warm, pleasingly realistic audiophile recordings from them.

I get rid of bad sounding and overly clinical recordings. Of course, my music collection isn't very large because of how picky I am, however the music I keep and play is thoroughly enjoyable.

Teresa,

you are absolutely right and spot on with your note that similar spec equipment from different companies will sound very different. 

One must hear equipment to see if you like the sound. The accuracy of sound reproduction by equipment can be gauged by comparing what you hear from equipment with the sound you hear from live unamplified instruments. No piece of equipment as yet reproduces the complete quality of live unamplified instruments so we must make our choices on what sounds closest to us with our own personal tastes and within our budgets. 

As a general rule tube equipment produces a warmer sound and solid state a colder sound. There are increasing levels of accuracy (getting closer to the sound we hear from real unamplified instrumentals) as the quality of gear increases. As we get to the best sounding gear the differences between tube and solid state become less dramatic and closer to the real thing.

Many posting on this thread have no clue and have never bothered  listening to different gear and regurgitate what they’ve read/heard that confirms their bias that everything sounds the same if the 3 or 4 specs they’ve been brainwashed to believe are the same and cables sound the same. 

Always a a pleasure to converse with real audiophiles who know listening is key!

9 hours ago, Teresa said:

Not a problem

I have the same preference.

I think very "etched" sound can be preferred for a short listen (like in a dealer's showroom) then be harsh for prolonged listening.  Similar to video displays in stores.

The mechanisms for warmth are (likely) freq. response & even order harmonic distortion products.  I'd like to see some testing, say by injecting a few harmonics to a listening panel.

On 12/25/2018 at 2:23 PM, Ralf11 said:

Sal's position is that the reproduction chain must be accurate, no matter what.

Later, she said that she wanted the reproduction chain to preserve the euphonic characteristics of the original recording.

Any user can rightfully prefer his system to sound any way that pleases him or her. I have never told anyone what their rig should sound like, if you prefer a warm, soft slant or a brighter more detailed edge is completely up to you. Put together a system you enjoy and fugeddaboudit yo.

But if your interested in hearing exactly what the producer/engineer thought appropriate to put on the disc, and want to start discussing putting together a "High Fidelity" system on the websites, you should start taking a more science based approach. Look into how John Atkinson of Stereophile,  or Amir at Audio Science Review, or Archimago's Musing blog found the gear your interested in to measure. Buy a inexpensive calibrated microphone from miniDSP, download the free measuring app from REW, and do some in-room measurements of your gear. Now your have a path that can lead you to accurate reproduction of a High Fidelity source.

Personally I prefer to start off knowing my rig is capable of accurate reproduction, and then later seasoning to taste when I deem it appropriate. It's easy to add as much tonal influence as desired to a accurate rig,  near impossible to remove 3% THD from boutique amp.

Buy your ticket and take your ride.

YMMV

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

2 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

@Sal1950 can you post your measured in-room frequency response curve?  Thanks in advance!

Always a work in progress.

I've shown you mine, now please show me yours.  :)

5-14-2018.jpg

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

@Sal1950   Thanks, looks pretty good!  Do you use room treatments?  

Will do on posting mine!  The Omni-mic I use is out for individual calibration.  They have “standard” cals and mine was a “k”, but I have no idea how closely mine matches a typical “k” so I sent it in.  They do a no-charge cal for that mic now and provide it to you.  Should be back after the holidays.  I believe I can use the cal file for the Omni-mic in REW.  

6 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

@Sal1950   Thanks, looks pretty good!  Do you use room treatments?  

Will do on posting mine!  The Omni-mic I use is out for individual calibration.  They have “standard” cals and mine was a “k”, but I have no idea how closely mine matches a typical “k” so I sent it in.  They do a no-charge cal for that mic now and provide it to you.  Should be back after the holidays.  I believe I can use the cal file for the Omni-mic in REW.  

Room treatment are natural items, rugs, drapes, furniture, etc. and dual sub placement. Use Audyssey XT32 plus the new Editor app to make custom DRC adjustments.  Not great results but makes me happy. The HSU subs fall off a cliff below 30 hz.

Until you get to the 11-12kHz area all of the humps and dips are well within +/-5 dB. Most importantly you enjoy it.  I remember you mentioning at one time you didn’t like Wilson due to their upper end generally being too strong.  I measured the Sabrinas I had, but haven’t done the Yvettes, yet. I have installed some room treatments as well, so I hope I can tame a couple small camel humps like you have that were in their before.  With the Sabrinas the FR was pretty flat above about 8 kHz and not tilted up.  Both speakers use their newer silk dome tweeter which might make them more suitable to you.  These are definitely imaging champs, for sure!  I’m interested to see what the FR is now with the treatments and the Yvettes.   I’ll for sure let you know when I post.

7 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

Until you get to the 11-12kHz area all of the humps and dips are well within +/-5 dB. Most importantly you enjoy it.  I remember you mentioning at one time you didn’t like Wilson due to their upper end generally being too strong.

For the record I don't believe I've ever posted anything about the sound of Wilsons. It's been many years since I've heard any and that was only at a audio show or dealer showroom.

16 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Always a work in progress.

I've shown you mine, now please show me yours.  :)

5-14-2018.jpg

Nice.  Pretty "flat" in the real world sense.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 12/25/2018 at 9:47 PM, Kimo said:

I would definitely try an AQ Diamond if I were you...

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

New review on the Sablon Reserva usb/ethernet/BNC cables.

I agree with his conclusions on the usb and ethernet.  I don't own the BNC cable.

https://audiobacon.net/2019/01/04/sablon-audio-panatela-reserva-digital-elegance/

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

That dirty comment is a bit unclear to me but the rest of the reviewers descriptions fall in line with mine.  My guess is that the reviewer believes rock is better served by a warmer, more  Euphonic system that masks things a bit?  

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

18 hours ago, Blake said:

That dirty comment is a bit unclear to me but the rest of the reviewers descriptions fall in line with mine.  My guess is that the reviewer believes rock is better served by a warmer, more  Euphonic system that masks things a bit?  

I do not think so.

Certain USB cables are optimised for certain listeners. When the designer loves classical music he/she will design a cable which shines with classical music.

Same with jazz.......

In his review Jay meant that the Sablon is perfect for orchestral music.

So maybe the reason that the Sablon does not shine with hard rock is that it lacks certain elements which are important for the playback of this music and I guess it is the same with jazz.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Inspired by audiobombers comments in the other USB cable thread, I’ve ordered a Oyaide d+ Class A USB cable to try. Not the pricier Class S, but the cheaper Class A.

its a very ‘low’ priced audio USB cable, will report back with my impressions in a couple of weeks. I’m currently back using a Supra. Yes I’ve tried a range of lower cost cables and I am loath to spend big $. Im firmly in the USB-spec camp after poor experience with a few boutique cables (Mapleshade, Curious etc)